Other, no control over them 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
I have no idea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 1:00 pm

Maybe this is odd, but anyway...

I sometimes see dreams like a movie. Sometimes it is just a audible discussion. Sometimes I see my dreams as text, like reading a book or a newspaper. I usually am aware that I'm dreaming, and can redirect my dreams or decide to continue an interesting dream the next night.

So how do you fellow WP members dream?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 1:15 pm

I chose other and can't control them, because my dreams are all of those. My dreams are also like films, with complicated plots and scripts and characters, sometimes even with a soundtrack playing in the background. My dreams are usually visual and also involve the feeling of touch, usually being held or something. I also often have long conversations in my dreams, and they make perfect sense from what I can remember. Most of my dreams aren't lucid but the ones that are I often can't control, if I want to wake up I stay asleep, and when I want to carry a dream on I usually end up waking up. There have been some lucid dreams where I have purposely swam in the air because I know I can.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

I started this poll, after I realized that I see many of my dreams as text, like reading a book or a newspaper. I also control my dreams, but that is a thing I learned at a very young age.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2009, 1:31 pm

Mine are more like a Monty Python episode: it starts off with one sketch, then links to another in an unusual way, and continues to link to the next one over and over again. It's rare to dream an entire story, and even those don't even make sense. An even more rare occasion is when I dream, then suddenly wake up for about a few minutes, fall back asleep and somehow rewind back to where I stopped and finish up that dream.

Memorable dreams with some story line:
-Sister, mother and I in this dry plain at evening time, occupied by a power generator collection with a street lamp shining green and a bunch of woodshacks occupied by talking badgers and squirrels. So after a visit with a badger family, they warn of this monster, and suddenly it attacks the house. It was Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh, only 50 ft. tall.

-Older sister driving our '90 Jetta, pulling the steering wheel off, and peanuts come out.

-Another vast empty plain with a thick cloudy sky, abandoned road, bus station and telephone booth. Littlefoot and his mother from Land Before Time try to make a phone call to the President, while nearby Ann Margaret pops out from a cluster of stuffed animals and sings the movie version of the Who's 'Go to the Mirror.'

-My friends and I want to go see Repo, so we go to the theater; the ticket booth was like the lobby of a New York office building, with a woman in a circular desk. Suddenly everyone becomes South Park characters (I was Kenny), and she give us our tickets in a grumpy tone. But we had to fill the car up with gas before going in, so we take it to the station on the roof and fill up. Then we go inside and ask if it started yet, and the lady goes ballistic, kicking her legs while spinning in her chair. I fly up, grab a rubber hose and beat her legs. Then I calm her down by saying, "I know about your husband, Sheri."

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2009, 1:36 pm

I don't recall ever having a lucid dream but I know that I can see, hear and feel my dreams almost as strongly as if they were real. It's bizarre to be so involved in something but not have any control over it. Sometimes I talk out loud in my sleep if I'm dreaming of having a conversation. The few people who have seen me sleeping have told me it's very amusing to watch me sleep.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2009, 1:51 pm

My dreams are usually visual and auditory, and often to some extent involve other senses although not to the same extent that real life does. I have very few dreams that are just visual, just auditory or just tactile.

I have only had one lucid dream, when I was very young. I do occasionally have dreams where I know I'm dreaming and act on this, but it's not really the same, because I still have that dream-logic and I can't do anything like swim in the air or create a different scene. I'll just know that the lion won't hurt me, or whatever.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 2:03 pm

I have lucid dreams almost every night. It's something that I didn't really have to work towards, it feels natural to me.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2009, 2:24 pm

I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do, they're like being inside a real-life experience: both visual and auditory, presumably tactile (though I don't remember much of that), and at least sometimes clearly involve other senses as well - I've had several dreams in which a major component was randomly eating/chewing something odd (like a candle off birthday cake, or a sparkler) and having it taste really gross.

I have very minimal control over my dreams. I can't consciously decide what will happen, and I am not aware while I'm dreaming that I'm dreaming, but sometimes if I really want something to happen in it, the dream will end up going that way. Sometimes, too, I'll ask a character in a dream a question I'd like to know the answer to in real life, and my dream will make them stall and avoid the question, and change the topic, apparently because I don't actually know the answer, rather than making up something false for them to say.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 2:29 pm

I have visually dreams with audio and no control. The dreams I remember are so bizarre, that no book or article about dreams that I've read seem to make any sense out of them.

My favorite dream is the one where a giant strawberry was a shogun and leader of a ninja army. They invaded a giant Costco, which was like a feudal Japanese village inside a big building. After they slaughtered the warriors, an old woman tied a note to a hawk which took of in the distance, and the old woman was then killed by the ninjas. The hawk eventually flew into a village to give the note to a girl in a purple ninja outfit named Ninja Girl. After reading it, she took off with her little brother in a black ninja outfit (named Katana Boy). They finally made it to the Costco under siege of the Strawberry Shogun. Once they broke in, Katana Boy fought off the ninjas while Ninja Girl went to fight the Shogun. There she had the most epic battle of her life against the strongest opponent she's ever faced. During the battle, she kicked the Shogun into a deep pool of melted Long-Horn cheese. He rose from the gooey cheese completely covered in it, and said with a voice of triumph, "Now I am a Longberry! Yes, a very, very Longberry!" Then energy started to gather into his mouth like he was going to fire a blast stream. Then it shows two of the ninjas holding on to Katana Boy by the arms, when one of them says, "This little guy ain't so tough," and then gets hit in the stomach by the boy's elbow. Then my dream ends.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 2:30 pm

I have dreams that are visual and auditory mainly. The textual part is very muted. Although I can see and hear quite well, the only sensation I generally get is falling or climbing. Sometimes things are a little wet or a little sandpapery or a little pillowy but that's very muted. Mostly just falling or rising.

I can control the dreams to a very small extent. I have realized through various nightmares that I should never walk into a dark room in a dream and now I can stop myself from walking into one when it appears in the dream. But I can't control any of the other elements.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2009, 2:52 pm

My dreams are visual and i can't control them, usually they do the opposite to what i want, stupid dreams... :( .

A common dream i have is bugs or snakes in my bed, i quickly jump out of bed but im not fully awake and still believe there is something in my bed for a few minutes.

Some other dreams i have thought i was going to die like a bomb in my house, a tidal wave, walls with spikes closing in on me and a nuclear bomb. :lol:

When i had the dream about the bomb i ran out of my room so fast into the lounge room and that night we had visitors staying over our place and i ran out in front of them yelling "THERES A BOMB!!", that was very embarrassing.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 3:23 pm

My dreams include all the senses--including balance/movement, touch, taste, and pain. I can often control them. Oddly enough, the one sense that is present least is sound. Many of my dreams are completely silent.

If you tend towards lucid dreams, you probably know that anything can exist in a dream, but the one requirement for its existence is that you are paying attention to it. Once you no longer pay attention to something, it ceases to exist. Conversely, if you expect something to exist, it will. If you can't expect it well enough, you may fail at creating it. Those things are fairly obvious when you think about what a world that is generated entirely by your mind might be like; but most people think of the "dream world" as being very much like the real one, only more bizzare. It isn't. It's completely mental.

You'll only keep lucidity for so long, though, and I don't think it's a good idea to always yank clear thought and awareness out of your REM. I tried that--even five or six dream cycles a night, on occasion--and I tended to end up tired at the end of it. Your brain has to process stuff at night, and "defrag" the information it picked up during the day, and I wouldn't be surprised if lucidity interfered with that. It might be fun to mess around with your mental landscape, but there's something to be said for moderation.

I do not have very good auditory processing when it comes to speech. Perhaps that is why I don't tend to create sound very often in my dreams. I think I create music and text a great deal often more than speech, actually.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 4:00 pm

Callista wrote:
If you tend towards lucid dreams, you probably know that anything can exist in a dream, but the one requirement for its existence is that you are paying attention to it. Once you no longer pay attention to something, it ceases to exist.

I find a paradox in that, though - if I look directly at a specific object in the (lucid) dream world, with the intent of focusing on it and examining it closely - it disappears, or shifts to the immediate edge of peripheral vision, so that I can't.

In normal dreams, however, if an object is key to the unfolding plot, I can examine it, read it, etc - as required by whatever story is being told at the time, but I don't ever intentionally focus on it as a specific object - it's just a prop in the play.

What fascinates me most, though, is when an unfamiliar word or phrase - sometimes in a language I do not speak - occurs in a dream and I can remember it on awakening clearly enough to write it down (and usually spell it correctly). Sometimes I don't find out what the word means until months later, but when I do, it makes perfect sense within the context of that surreal story. Or when I find myself in a particular place in a dream that's easy to remember because of it's unique visual qualities - then much later, recognize that place in a photograph or a movie or television show, shot in a town I've never visited.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 4:34 pm

I chose visual and can't control.

A typical dream involves either me finding out that house where I live contains an extra room that I didn't know about, or needing to get somewhere and not knowing how. Just last night, I dreamt about being stuck at a train station and not knowing how to get a ticket to where I needed to be.

AndiBone
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2009, 4:34 pm

I have 'dramatic' dreams in full colour and I can remember most of them. I run, and I jump, there's alot of physical movement.

Gerhardt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2009, 5:00 pm

Years ago I used to have lucid dreams. It was essentially being in the Matrix. There were moments where I would be in a completely boring, plot-less dream, then wake up inside it and turn it into something crazy. Akin to Garry's Mod. I would just spawn random objects or spawn random people and watch them interact. If was in a nightmare where I was getting chased by some scary creature, I could wake up in my dream, spawn myself a BFG and just blow it the f**k away.

Has anyone had a violent dream where they play the hero? I've had numerous dreams where I'm in a school and it's attacked by angry kids with guns like Columbine. I'm standing in a line with a 100 other people and watching one of the attackers go down the line shooting everyone in the face, starting on my right. To my right is the girl of my dreams and to the left is my best friend so I feel compelled to stop stop the attacker. When the attacker points his gun at the girl, I use my Krav-maga moves and disarm him and then smash his jaw with the butt of the pistol. Then, his backup across the room notices what just happened so I shoot him down. Then I take my damsel in distress home and give her something to scream about :) That's probably in response to my lack of connection with women...I believe dreams reflect subconscious thoughts and desires. I've woken up in these dreams too, and I've spawned myself weapons and body armor and cloaking devices.

Not all my dreams are violent...but when I am violent in my dreams it's always for a good cause to save people from something terrible. It just concerns me that I'm dreaming about people getting shot in the face after going to campus when i could be dreaming about something a lot more pleasant.