Do you ever get accused of OCD, when it's not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2009, 2:42 am

Since there's repetitiveness and immersing yourself in something, then it would seem like some may think it's OCD.

For example, I'll dwell on a topic that I'm interested in. Or I'll listen to the same songs over and over again. Or I'll say, "Oh, I need to do this!" Then a roommate in college would point a finger and say something like, "OCD!" I'd be like, "No, by definition OCD has to be intrusive or unwanted. Being repetitive alone doesn't meet diagnostic criteria. So if we use deductive logic that means I don't have OCD." Roommate, "Be open minded! You have OCD!" Me, "Galileo was accused of not being open minded. He cared more about the truth than being gullible. It even says in the DSM it has to be intrusive to be OCD."

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 2:58 am

OCD is just:

Obsession = bad thought that you can't stop thinking about that causes anxiety
Compulsion = something you physically and/or mentally do that alleviates some of the anxiety from the obsession

Pursuing a topic of interest you like or listening to the same song over and over is like the repetitive behaviours of an ASD (these still need to interfere with your life to some extent, even though you enjoy them).

I don't get accused because I have OCD. :) Anyway, OCD is oftentimes hard to find/detect, as people tend to hide it well.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:31 am

Yes, Several times in the past from different people....

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:01 am

You might want to explain to this friend that your "ocd" type behaviors are necessary for your neurological balance.

That is the truth and that is why we do them. We shouldn't and can't stop, the way people with OCD stop. We simply need to accept our special interest passsions and our repetitive rituals because it's a part of our "brain difference" of AS.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 2:14 pm

One therapist, but other professionals have said it was not true.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

FarmerJim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2009, 2:29 pm

My wife gets very frustrated and angered by me counting thrusts during sex. Always a multiple of 7 and then pause for 3 seconds. If I don't do this, my sister's dog will die. Obviously this is not logical so is a problem for me, but we are unable of affording doctor care for me at the moment.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:01 pm

I often tell people it's OCD just for simplicity's sake. I was diagnosed with OCD, but that was mostly because of my autistic traits. Even so, I tell people that's what I've been diagnosed with because:

1. It's true
2. It's easier than explaining what autism is to people who think that Rain Man is an accurate representation of all autistic cases.

Justin227
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2009, 3:38 pm

FarmerJim wrote:
My wife gets very frustrated and angered by me counting thrusts during sex. Always a multiple of 7 and then pause for 3 seconds. If I don't do this, my sister's dog will die.

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh.

I was misdiagnosed with OCD at the age of 9. (1998, and AS was still fairly unknown by even most psychologists.)
It was a psychologist that mentioned that I had it. I listened to songs, repeatedly, though that hasn't changed just my taste in music, haha.
Watched the same childrens movies over and over for hours.
I would have to read the date on any coin I came across. (thank god I got over that.)
I would touch things a lot, if that makes sense, which I heard I guess is common in AS.
Because I would feel the need to constantly touch things my dad use to call me a racoon. Which still doesn't make sense, do racoons touch random things? I guess it would help to mention that he was diagnosed with disorganized schizophrenia. Which explains why his metaphors and logic is sometimes ass backwards.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 3:53 pm

In the past a few of my Aspie stuff was mistaken for OCD.

I am diagnosed with OCD though.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Biene
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2009, 4:02 pm

FarmerJim wrote:
My wife gets very frustrated and angered by me counting thrusts during sex. Always a multiple of 7 and then pause for 3 seconds. If I don't do this, my sister's dog will die. Obviously this is not logical so is a problem for me, but we are unable of affording doctor care for me at the moment.

The "Troll" again.....

Justin227

18 Jun 2009, 5:23 pm

Biene wrote:
FarmerJim wrote:

The "Troll" again.....

I thought he was being serious. Well, don't feed them! They're like bears at a campsite!

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2009, 6:06 pm

Aspies have partial OCD but routine based all my things are based on time and moments for example I always go downstirs at 4 30 walk dog at 5am EVERY DAY lol,eat up in room and routines which my mu nver dare break me from I get a bit hissy especially as of late lol

OCD as mentioned prior is convulsions and not routine base a friend of mine has OCD quite bad its especially cleanily based I am kid of polar of that bt not dirty just I get really wrapped up in my interests WOW planes and tv I love atching up on old series like doctor who etc.

OCD is VERY different in m opinion just compleely and is hard to spot as routines are a lot easier to point out

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

Even if this is not the case with you on this point, almost everyone does some things that are somewhat obsessive-compulsive. Doing something obsessive compulsive doesn't mean that someone has OCD anyways.. Something is only a disorder if it causes significant distress. Of course, in the case of OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) the distress is in other people, rather than the person with the disorder.. Like Monica on Friends. She's not bothered by it, but she'll kill anyone who moves the phone pen away from the phone. Not saying that that's you, just that it's not totally crazy to see OC traits in everyone.. it's just incorrect to use the D part, because it's usually not a disorder.

FarmerJim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2009, 7:17 pm

Biene wrote:
FarmerJim wrote:

The "Troll" again.....

Im sorry, but what are you mean?