Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

anonymousboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2009, 4:45 am

It annoys me that people think I'm just another teenager that neesd to learn alot of life experience, and that I'm naive to the world anf I have nothing of interested to say because I'm 'too young', but I'm no way near a stereotype, and without sounding arrogant I am alot more intelligent than alot of adults lpus I've had ALOT of life experence that I've faced upto and grown from...

I have ADHD so I can have the behaviour of a foolish 5 year old seeking attention but it annoys me how people judge me on that and don't expect to see anything else of me, it prooves that alot of adults have a certain kind of ignorance to those that are younger and they have low expectations of us, somebodies age is only a number in a lot of ways...

I have alot ofopinions on society and my family ay that some of the things I say are way above there understanding, I'm not meaning to sound arogant but I guess it's upto me to show that side of me more often or something...

Does it annoy anyone else?
I'm normally alot more articulate but I've been up all night so I'm feling rather understimulated lol :)

anonymousboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2009, 4:46 am

I also communicate better with adults, I'm not the type that gives into media pressures on how to look etc...

Owendust
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2009, 5:46 am

Well, you said it yourself:

"...I can have the behaviour of a foolish 5 year old seeking attention..."

You can't really blame most people for assuming that you're childish if you generally act childish. Like you said, it's up to you to show that you have any type of understanding. Unless you actually share your thoughts and opinions, people will have no reason to assume that there's anything more to you than your childish behavior.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2009, 3:03 pm

I'm afraid it's also very common (and I'm including myself here) for young people in their teens to look at adults and think they're far more intelligent and have far more life experience than them.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:13 pm

Awwwwww! :)

There's a difference between you and your elders.

They've been 17. They remember what that was like.

You've never been an adult.

They've been exactly where you are now, and they too thought at that age that they had it all figured out.

I, too, was just like you at that age.

It wasn't until I turned 30 or so that I finally figured out life.

Don't worry. Every generation goes through this phase. It is practically mandatory. You are not alone.

If that was too subtle: yeah you are still a kid. ;)

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2009, 4:33 pm

And it's not a bad thing, being young. Not that I'm saying I'm old and wise, I'm only 34, I've just reached a stage in my life when I'm not in a rush anymore. I don't know what the next stage in my life will be like, but I've gone through enough stages to know that once one is over, it's over over, and you can never go back. So enjoy being 17, you've only got 1 year at it. You look at older people, maybe even people my age, and can't wait to be older so that you will be respected more. Respect has to be earned, and it takes time and experience, and a lot of older people would love to go back to just being 17 again, and not having to worry about how much month will be left at the end of the money, and all the other stress that you haven't got to yet.

Don't wish your life away, and remember that with that respect you crave so much comes a whole lot of responsibility you'd likely not be quite so keen on.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2009, 10:44 am

I think I'm in a similar position with you... I'm only 14 though.
On an emotional level I'm probably like... 10 years old or something and socially probably half my age but in terms of intellect I'd like to say I'm at least double my age. Even if it's delusional, I'm certainly underestimated.
My teacher once quoted Rene Descartes(in the completely wrong context, if I may add), and then laughed and said to the TA, 'I think I went a bit too deep there Miss!' and she just assumed none of us knew about philosophy, and then there's other times in RE when I've been talking about ethics and my RE teacher just concludes that mine are inferior to hers 'cause of my age in comparison to hers.
My parents just laugh when they see me reading a book on philosophy or phycology which is advised to be purchased by University students, and keep making jokes about me watching Philosophy lectures online, etc.
Teenagers rarely can comprehend my sentences because apparently I talk too much about, 'complicated stuff' and use too many, 'big words', yet, for some reason, I'm still classed as one of them on an intelligence level.
Though, despite me ranting, I guess if I was to be treated like someone of the age my social interaction level is... then it'd be a lot worse :P.
EMZ=]

Ralic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2009, 11:00 am

Most people I met in person say I look like I'm 15. Most people I met online think I'm 30. They don't have a clue, really. Most people do not analyze beyond their template spectrum... if you don't fit their idea of what you should be, they either don't notice you, or classify you as a "strange", the "understanding" point doesn't come in much.

I dropped trying to be understood and I just use my rather innocent looks to pretend that I'm just some nice cute girl or something.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 11:11 am

I do agree that adults are far too quick to assume that you're automatically wrong because you're a youngster.

I'm 19. I still have people resort to saying things like 'What do you know, you're still in your teens' because they can't be bothered to refute a point I make.

But a lot of these adults are not so wise themselves. Maybe they have more wisdom than me...they probably do...but they're sure as hell not using it.

I've met very emotionally defective adults, ones who pick on others around them because they can't think how else to deal with their feelings. I've met adults who find it easier to just be selfish and cold rather than connect with people and maybe make mistakes.

The idea that any adult, even a defective one, even a closed minded bigot or a selfish bully, is more worth listening to than me just because they are older, makes my adrenal glands react violently.