Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 8:50 am

Hey there fellow aspies I want some advice or guidance on IQ quizes I have decided that later this year I am going to go for application to Mensa, My IQ results are 117 However this was measured after being awakened so my body was not at full thinking mode and I made some pretty obvious slip ups, this was my dyslexia test which has an IQ test with it.

For Mensa you need an IQ of 130 that I thik is quite obtainable for me and personally I think IQ is a myth of supremecy but IQ can fluctuate I am going to do this in december and prior from now I am going to do IQ tests every few days and see if indeed it does fluctuate

an IQ of 130 at Mensa grants you the title of Cultural Intellectual which for me sounds so cool

anoyone else considering joining Mensa

Ralic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2009, 9:03 am

That was floating in my head for a while, but I don't know what my IQ is, and I don't really believe in it, anyway...

I thought the cutoff was 136.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:13 am

Ralic wrote:
That was floating in my head for a while, but I don't know what my IQ is, and I don't really believe in it, anyway...

I thought the cutoff was 136.

I would like too... my IQ is 129...well it was a few years ago.. I thought that the cut of was 130

Last edited by scorpileo on 26 Jun 2009, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

nope depends lowest score is 132 for Culteral fair and the 148 is for the B III test

I love that they say no one has an above of 150 unless EXTREMELY gifted e.g. Hawking and Einstein, those are generally the only ones above 150 I accept. Whats your opinion on gaining losing IQ I personlly beieve it is alternating

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 9:18 am

It makes me wonder how many aspies are in mensa I do think though probably at least all of mensa was autistic though

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:41 am

Mensa does have a number of autistic members, they even have a special interest group devoted to Asperger's. The IQ cut-off depends on which test you take (not all tests are scaled the same) but they require a score of two standard deviations above the mean.

I had a qualifying score to join Mensa but couldn't be arsed because the membership fees are higher than I felt was worth it.

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 10:54 am

I was in it but my membership has been lapsed since the beginning of 2004. Might re-join post-diagnosis :-)

montjuic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2009, 11:04 am

what are the benefits [content removed - M.]?

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 12:13 pm

For me the benefits are having it on my university applicatio I am leaving uni and going to a better ne next year most likely and I'll probably apply to oxford if I get into mensa

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 1:03 pm

montjuic wrote:
what are the benefits [content removed - M.]?

You can sit around with a lot of smart people and can talk about how smart you all are.

ruveyn

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 1:42 pm

I took an IQ test online and got an IQ of 129... If I take a reputable one and I can get into it then I'd consider, though I'd only do it for the title and to get into a better University than the local one... I'm actually getting sort of depressed over the University I'm going to end up in.
And before anyone asked, people as young as like, 3 years old have got into Mensa, iirc.
EMZ=]

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 2:11 pm

You can do badly in some parts of the test and still pass if you are good enough in other parts. There is thus a much greater respect for the concept of "multiple intelligence" than you will find in society at large. That has to be relevant to those on the autism spectrum, where multiple intelligence is more exaggerated than in neurotypicality. It would most likely attract spectrumites to Mensa, even though I do not think that they are in the majority at meetings and events.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 2:25 pm

exactly the mensa test is very different I am personally taking an appitude test rather than IQ I am not doing the test til december because I want to train before hand and I want to see if IQ is variable I don't believe it is fixed

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:34 pm

Does anyone have any links to good online IQ tests? I wanna see if I'm smart enough (probably not).

y es como un semestre"

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:40 pm

Heh. 'Cultural Intellectual' does sound pretty cool.
But I don't even want to try. Because I don't feel like I'll be smart enough, and I dread doing badly. Or should there be some huge fluke and I score really high, then people will say 'she should know better than that!' when I muck up. It would set up false expectations on me imo.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 3:36 pm

active don't doubt yourself you seem very wise