Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jlefholtz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2009, 8:59 pm

One of my special interests is Asperger's itself. I know more than my therapist by far. Anybody else? OR everybody else?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 9:35 pm

To some extent, yes. Of course, it's not at all uncommon for any given Aspie to know more about Asperger's than most psychologists, as most psychologists are only vaguely familiar with AS.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 12:22 am

Many, many, many people here, my friend, have an AS obsession. Just enjoy the ride.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2009, 1:31 am

Minor special interest or focus area. A problem is resorting to using special interests during conversations. Mentioning your mental differences might be too much in many situations. Most other people would not be comfortable with it. I developed a special interest in fragrances which is better for "smalltalk".

jlefholtz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2009, 1:36 am

it does make most people uncomfortable. there's often a change of subject soon after the mention or explanation. or much silence!

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 1:42 am

AS isn't my main special interest, but it's one of them.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2009, 2:04 am

I've got an obsession with disorders, mainly neurological, ones anyway, it was kind of inevitable that AS happens to be one :P.
EMZ=]

jlefholtz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2009, 2:18 am

my main special interest is time. time travel and the physics associated (for the layman!)
the second is probably AS
the third is probably the weather, like tornadoes and such. things associated with barometric pressure.
the fourth is probably mental disorders, along with them, neurological disorders.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 6:06 am

Yeah. Kind of. :D

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2009, 7:19 am

Yeah with Emz my main interest is neurology and disorders especially eye conditions and autism related dosorders however I do ejoy psychology intensely and it has benefiting me intensely with understanding people especially my cold logic with body language. It scares my friends how correct I am
safter that it is computing and video gaming
thirdly; model airplanes and fighter jet information
fourth; zoology

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 9:24 am

I feel for ya! I developed a huge obsession with AS for a while too. I still have it but not so intense. I'd go to mention it during conversation, and force myself to shut up, otherwise I would talk about AS for hours while the other person died from boredom.

It gets kinda annoying having a strange obsession and having to make sure you don't bother people with it.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 10:54 am

Me too. Diagnosed only a few months short of my 44th birthday.

I am noticing that my special interest doesn't interest my favourite people to the same extent, though, so I am trying to hold my mouth about it when I manage to stop myself!

My interest is at least shared by an ADHD colleague who has an Aspie husband. She's reaaaaallllyyyy into neuropsychology in a big way. It happened because she was too poor to get the right help at various times in their lives, so she had to make do by reading as much as she could to know what to do.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 11:27 am

I'm still waiting for my diagnosis, and it really bothers me that all those professionals seem to know less about AS than I do.

jlefholtz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2009, 11:33 am

It is really annoying that I have to explain everything to them. I tell them I think I have Asperger's and they expect me to act like a caricature of Autism. And then I have to explain it all and give them links so that they might research it themselves.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 11:41 am

jlefholtz wrote:
It is really annoying that I have to explain everything to them. I tell them I think I have Asperger's and they expect me to act like a caricature of Autism. And then I have to explain it all and give them links so that they might research it themselves.

Yes. The neurologist first was sure that I had dysphasia, because I had issues with communicating. Then the neuropsychological test showed that I certainly did not have dysphasia.

I'm still not sure when I'll get my diagnosis, by whom, and what it is going to be. This said, I hope I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 12:00 pm

Autism is not my special interest, it's a normal interest. I am a lot more knowledgeable, know more studies, know the criteria better, know more traits that are associated with it, know better how to interpret some autistic behaviour and know very well of the unfamiliar diversity of the spectrum that means my and everyone's knowledge of autism is ultimately very small - basically, yes, I a certain that I know more than many many professionals. I've been told to write articles or talk about autism before, but I don't know what to talk about. I mean, it's just an interest.