Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

tonyd
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2008, 10:06 pm

I agree with veruniel on exercise, walking and the need for antidepressants in some cases:

"I always feel better if I take long walks regularly. They ease my depression, but that depression is severe enough that walks alone don't lift the malaise. They need to be done in concert with taking medication. Another thing I've found that helps is eating a great deal of fish ... and other foods high in omega 3 fatty acids."

I've found walking for about 1/2 hour just about every day to be much a better feeling than trying to exercise in a gym.

Also, ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo, could you please post your references linking depression and ASD? (I know that the two are linked but am interested in any references). Thanks.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 3:44 pm

I find cycling relaxes and de-stresses me, but when I'm cycling for fun I mainly cycle in the early early morning hours when there's nary a car to be found.

L.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:06 pm

I'm in a very bad depression right now. I returned to the gym last week thinking that physical exercise would getting better but it didn't. (normaly, when I'm not depressed exercise helps a lot and also reduces my anxiety). I hope that my anti-depressives help me more than the gym.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

Quote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's been noted in research studies those of us with ASDs are more prone to depression than the general population.

I have increased my physical activity over a period of about two weeks now and I have noticed a tremendous improvement in my mood without the use of SSRIs or any other drugs.

Has anyone else experienced good results?

absolutely.

I however, have to use SSRI meds as well. My depression - largely to do with not fitting in and feeling like a perpetual outsider in the world - is too severe to be handled simply through exercies.
But exercise is an integral part of my management strategy for depression and high-anxiety (which leads to increased stimming in me) co-morbids. I walk most mornings with my dog. In summer I swim. I spend time walking and communing with plants and naature. It lifts my spirits. BUt i still need meds as well, unfortunately. ( Temple GRandin's approach works very well in my case.)
Exercise also helps me with the routined and repetitive behaviours.

I believe we are high maintenance people who often need to do a little bit more than is usual to stay on an even keel.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jul 2009, 4:41 pm

i seem to be more depressed these last couple of months and i find that almost always i can snap out of my depression by just a stroll through the woods although inflicting pain does seem to aleviate the syptoms aswell but im pretty much a chicken when it comes to physical pain. :wink:

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

Definitely exercise helps me significantly, especially a burst of intense cardiovascular exercise. Though the effect can be quite subtle, I think as well as the immediate endorphin boost, if exercising regularly you gain a better, more grounded sense of yourself, and I feel more healthy and confident about myself as a result.

That said, what is difficult is that depression significantly decreases motivation, so it can often be a huge effort to get yourself to exercise if you're feeling particularly low, though it is almost always worth the effort, if just to try and break the cycle of negativity causing the depression.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Jul 2009, 9:24 pm

At the times when I was depressed I was not motivated enough and had too little energy to exercise. I went for the occassional walk around the block but that didn't do anything positive for me. I think it helps mild depressions better because they might still have the energy to get up and do something.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 9:25 am

millie wrote:
Exercise also helps me with the routined and repetitive behaviours.

Yeah the same with me.

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2009, 1:49 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
pakled wrote:
this is a known side-effect of exercise. Recommended for anyone, AS or not...

Doesn't work for me. It is not a cure for loneliness.

try taking a yoga class. It is a good workout for your core and your mind. plus it is a good way to meet women.