Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 5:12 am

Has anyone ever played a game called Scruples? Basically you have to try and guess what someone else would answer to a question, usually regarding a moral dilemma, ie if you were cheating on a girl/boyfriend, would you let the other person know etc. The other person would have to try and guess what answer the other person wanted them to give. Then you'd have to convincingly give the answer you thought they didn't want, and justify your answer. The other person could then challenge you if they thought you were lying, and force a debate where you have to defend your answer, and they have to convince everyone else you are lying. Our mother got us this game when we were children, and we used to play it every Saturday. I wonder if she was trying to teach us something.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 7:37 pm

I only played it once and hated it. I can't lie convincingly even for a game, so it wasn't much of a challenge for my opponents.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 7:42 pm

I like the sound of this game...but I doubt I would be able to lie convincingly.
By the way, danlo, that's a few posts you have there...tee hee.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2006, 7:48 pm

I am... utterly confused by your description of the game :) And henceforth have concluded that I would most likely be crap at it. But at the same time, it's so confusing it might even be fun.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 8:42 pm

I've never played this game, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of Scruples. I don't think I'd be a very good player because it's kind of obvious when I lie for fun; I start laughing and/or snickering. It does sound fun, however. I think that my favorite lying game is Balderdash, which is a very fun game to me because you hear a word that almost no one knows at the top of their head, then you come up with your own definition of the word. The reader who reads the definition puts the real definition into the pile of papers, mixes them up, then reads them. The non-readers then try to guess the correct definition. After that you move around the board and whoever makes it there first wins. I'm not sure how the whole point system goes, how many spaces and such, but that's pretty much the basics of the game.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2006, 9:00 pm

I have played Scruples with my husband, but since we are both such horrible liars, we changed the rules and just told the truth. It is a lot more fun for us that way.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2006, 2:09 pm

We used to play this back in catholic school.

wow, that was 10 years ago now...

We loved that game, we also made up our own questions and submitted them to the teacher to use. I dont remember having to guess what other people would say, I think we played it by our own rules... You'd get asked the question, you'd answer it.

Funniest part is, although I had long forgotten about this game, now that you mention it I still remember the question I submited myself... "If you had the choice of being richer than your wildest dreams yet lonely, or incredibly poor but with your soulmate -- which would you choose?"

(I'm sure that wasnt my exact wording, but that was the jist of it)

Ironically, most of the people in the class chose to be rich... I bet today most of them are working crappy jobs but either have a steady bf/gf, are engaged, or are married by now. Yet myself, who probably makes twice as much as any of them, I crawl into my lonely bed every night and wrap my arms around the extra pillow, because even to this day I cant sleep unless my arms are wrapped around something (or preferably, someone).

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 7:38 pm

autisticon wrote:
We loved that game, we also made up our own questions and submitted them to the teacher to use. I dont remember having to guess what other people would say, I think we played it by our own rules... You'd get asked the question, you'd answer it.

Funniest part is, although I had long forgotten about this game, now that you mention it I still remember the question I submited myself... "If you had the choice of being richer than your wildest dreams yet lonely, or incredibly poor but with your soulmate -- which would you choose?"

You must've made your own rules, because it was really a prerequisite to winning the game. You have the questionee and the questioner. The questioner had 5 cards with questions, and an answer card containing either Yes, No, or Perhaps. If the questionee answered the same as their answer card, they could discard that question. If they answered differently, you replaced the card with a new question. If you challenged the answer of the questionee, and won, you discarded the question card, and the questionee had to take one of your questions. If the questioner lost, they replaced the question card, and took one of the questionee's cards.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

23 Jan 2006, 9:01 pm

I used to love the game. no one could determine what Iwas going to do or say. It was fun.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 9:05 pm

I imagine I'd be good at this, or really bad. Never heard of it.