Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 1:14 pm

My C-pap trials have not worked.. 6 weeks, 3x sleeping through the night with it and not lately. I've tried everything, including 5 masks. This sucks. It's my sensory issues due to Asperger Syndrome that make the mask impossible to tolerate.

Which is worse?

(A) 3x greater chance of stroke or heart attack, 5% chance of dying during sleep OR

(B) extremely painful and involved surgery that makes my airway larger--takes 2-3 weeks recovery time and only has a 40% success rate (unless you do another procedure after, that makes it 75%.)

Thoughts? I know I need to make this decision myself. It's easier just to pretend it isn't a problem..

but I keep waking up between 3-5 am and can't fall back to sleep... and then I end up napping off and on all day.. and I wake up with headaches.

I have severe sleep apnea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 1:41 pm

You know, I think that's a very personal decision that depends all on what you want from life and death and how much you can stand/how much pain you can stand.

I'd do this

whitetiger wrote:
(B) extremely painful and involved surgery that makes my airway larger--takes 2-3 weeks recovery time and only has a 40% success rate (unless you do another procedure after, that makes it 75%.)

plus the other procedure to guarantee as high a success rate as possible.

But then I'd also personally prefer to live longer and be in severe horrible pain for a super short amount of time than risk the chance of dying more likely than is already typical. Do you mind the chance of dropping over dead tomorrow or in 5 or 30 years? I do very very much, that's what it does for me even though the alternative might be super painful.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 2:20 pm

Thanks for your response.

I'm leaning towards thinking you are right, but it does seem like a pretty drastic thing to do to oneself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 4:51 pm

I'd agree with Sora's opinion. Yes it is a big thing, though to my mind it (b) seems the better of two options.