Any suggestions for an aspie-oriented website?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jmr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2009, 9:49 pm

I have a question for the general WP population:

I've been teaching myself programming and various web technologies for the past few years, and at this point I feel ready to start putting all this knowledge to work on a larger-scale project, but I'm short on ideas. I think it would be cool to implement some kind of website/service/application that would be beneficial to the aspie/autistic community, and I'd like to know if anyone here has any suggestions for websites that they'd like to see. We already have a BBS-style forum here at WP, and I see that there is an aspie-oriented dating site (although I've never checked it out myself); are there any other kinds of sites that you wish existed or see a need for? I'm open to any ideas.

anon0915
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2009, 10:25 pm

good question. i started my own forum, but not because there aren't plenty out there. i just wanted to give back. there are plenty of aspie quizes and other 2.0 communities are growing.

1. i love data and patterns (i suspect you do too). potential research applications?
2. anything you feel like. doesn't even have to be aspie related. aspies tend to be good at this sort of thing.
3. an iPhone app for WP?

i'd love to contribute to whatever you land on, if you are interested

jmr

30 Jul 2009, 9:20 pm

anon0915 wrote:
i'd love to contribute to whatever you land on, if you are interested

Cool, maybe I'll hit you up with a message when I've got a prototype up and running.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:05 pm

I'd love to see a question/answer database where commonly asked question would be cataloged and available to both those on the spectrum and those off of it as an educational resource - where the definitions reflect those affected, not the objective criteria.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:39 pm

Far-sited topic

AS websites are getting more specialized, which is a good thing.

This is important because many aspies/auties want to join up with others with the same interests.

I can see the day when department store fora like WP will be in the minority, not a s negative thing but because of market changes. This is good for business. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

jmr

31 Jul 2009, 1:46 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
I'd love to see a question/answer database where commonly asked question would be cataloged and available to both those on the spectrum and those off of it as an educational resource - where the definitions reflect those affected, not the objective criteria.

That's an interesting idea, sort of a wikiFAQ?

One thing I've been thinking about is a version of a "social networking" site for Aspies, which would be based on special interests rather than the usual "friending" model of sites like Facebook, so that you would be able to find and interact with others who share your interests, rather than being concerned with building a social network.