Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:24 am

Is this a feeling which can be associated with any ASD? I'm just wondering as feeling inadequate is something I experience on many different levels and quite often, when around others. I feel as if I'm missing something which they have. What that something is, I'm never quite sure.

So who else experiences this type of feeling, and can you explain what probably gives rise to it?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:29 am

Yes. Lots and lots.

Never fitting in, having trouble being understood/explaining things, not doing anything as well as everyone else seemed to.

I think there's a certain extent to which most people are able to accept their own flaws because people like them anyways, but when people don't tend to like you, that rationale becomes impossible.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2009, 9:42 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
Yes. Lots and lots.

Never fitting in, having trouble being understood/explaining things, not doing anything as well as everyone else seemed to.

I think there's a certain extent to which most people are able to accept their own flaws because people like them anyways, but when people don't tend to like you, that rationale becomes impossible.

Same here. I've never fit in with any group during my childhood, and the feeling was unimaginable to someone never experiencing it before. During middle school I was harrass by the kids, the teachers and even the principle scolded me for things i didn't mean to do. I even explained it to them, and they just blew it off as if I was ret*d or deficient.

I have friends now, but that feeling... aaaarrgh!--sometimes you just want to go crawl in a hole since you think you'll never succeed in life; you're confidence is gone, and you think most people are out to get you.

Yeah, I still have these feelings, but it's like the same for anyone who's neurologically different like someone with ADHD, Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, etc.

But there's one thing you're not--inferior. I know it's hard thinking that way, but trust me, it's the first step to believeing your adequate. Theapy can help,. but if you don't believe in yourself, then you'll think of yourself as subhuman to everyone.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:56 am

I'm in.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:57 am

I feel pretty inadequate, too, but it is mostly related to social situations. Like, not knowing what to do in a crowd, or how to order my food at a restaurant, etc. Or with understanding what other people are doing, eg. when they laugh for apparently no reason.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:57 am

Include me too. The feeling has increased as I've gotten older as well.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:01 pm

I find it's hard to relate to people, and I have trouble getting around to places. This means I feel like my best times are already behind me, and I feel inadequate with the view to creating more good times.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:19 pm

For my whole life..

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:32 pm

umm,.....include me too...if that's Ok... :?

seriously, this is how I generally associate myself with "The Public" :oops: