Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 12:29 am

My nephew was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and bipolar.
I believe he would benefit as much as I have from hanging out at WrongPlanet.
But I have too much stuff here.

I've said before, only half-jokingly, that no one but an Aspie could wade through a 20-page thread of this stuff and glean anything incriminating.

I want to share this place, but I know he's not smart enough to keep his mouth shut when he finds my stuff. No, my WP name would not be hard for him to figure out. I erased my age and location, but that's not enough.

Is there a place like this somewhere else? A group as big as this one, with a similar attitude? With a mix of obnoxious kids, to hold his interest, plus a few old people to inject a little reality once in a while?

I feel guilty, but if you've seen any of my stuff, you'd know that making it public would not be a good thing.

11 Aug 2009, 12:37 am

Don't tell him about this place.

There are lot of aspie forums out there but they aren't active as this one.

There is aspies for freedom, spectrum mites, eccentrasp, on the spectrum, psychforums, disabled planet, left planet, and scary autistics but that forum is dead, hardly anything.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:19 am

You were supposed to tell me that there's another place with thousands of active members, all of whom are intelligent, insightful, welcoming, respectful, full of useful information that they will gladly share, just for the asking...

Would Alex be able to change my name?
(First is the technology question.)

Maybe this is why no one wants to use my map.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:24 am

You won't feel as free to post, even with another username. The advantage of having nobody in the world is that I don't need to hide anything from anyone. Not even public ridicule can bother me.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:35 am

But he's such a basket case. And he's so isolated and confused and angry.
I don't blame him. I'm seriously pissed off, too. But I don't have the
aggression/hormones/whatever it is that makes young men act like jerks.
He needs to hang out with other... er... persons like himself while he figures it out.

Doublefrost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 1:41 am

He probably needs to figure out for himself what he wants. Maybe even ask him. You probably won't get an answer if you do, of course. You could mention it and let him decide if he's curious.

Now, was he diagnosed with Asperger's from a psychiatrist or a neurologist? In my personal experience, psychiatrists are a bunch of quacks when it comes to this, but I was also diagnosed a good while ago, back in the early 90s so maybe it's different now. Somehow, I imagine they still are a bunch of quacks about it though.

Also, how old is he?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:19 am

He's 22. Long history of problems.
I've suspected Asperger's for a while.

He had some kind of episode and landed in the hospital,
which was probably a good idea at first,
but they've been keeping him there for a couple of weeks.
I wonder if he's suffering from too much insurance.

He has a job that he actually likes, and says they treat him well.
I told him that's the best medicine.
I hope he gets out tomorrow (Tuesday).

Doublefrost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 2:29 am

I'm very suspicious of amateur diagnosis on it without something like a father, sibling or child of their who is diagnosed. I do believe there's a good deal of misdiagnosis. I've also talked to a number of parents and adults that did amateur diagnosis and in all but one case, it really didn't sound like it at all to me. That one case was with an older gentleman who has a son who was diagnosed.

Regardless, I would concur that the job is probably a very positive thing if he does indeed enjoy the work that much and has a good work environment. A lot of the damage lingering from that long history of problems will probably take quite a while to heal and only if he's actively trying to or able to put it behind him.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:49 am

I agree with Greentea about not feeling as free to post if he joins. That is why I would never tell a family member where I post.

Doublefrost wrote:
I'm very suspicious of amateur diagnosis on it without something like a father, sibling or child of their who is diagnosed. I do believe there's a good deal of misdiagnosis. I've also talked to a number of parents and adults that did amateur diagnosis and in all but one case, it really didn't sound like it at all to me. That one case was with an older gentleman who has a son who was diagnosed.

How does amateur diagnosis relate to this topic? The first line of the opening post states "My nephew was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and bipolar."

Doublefrost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 2:52 am

outlier wrote:
I agree with Greentea about not feeling as free to post if he joins. That is why I would never tell a family member where I post.

Doublefrost wrote:

How does amateur diagnosis relate to this topic? The first line of the opening post states "My nephew was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and bipolar."

It was non-specified on the nature of the diagnosis and when I asked a little more specifically about it out of curiosity the reply was of suspecting it for a while. That wouldn't be the direct logical response if it were a professional diagnosis in my opinion, so the assumption seemed fairly safe.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 4:22 am

My family does not know of any of the forums I post on.If they found out about Free Dominion, I'd never hear the end of it.And I dont plan on telling em about WP either since I use the same username as I do on Free Dominion.I have tried to get a few NT friends from FD over to WP but none seem to have joined yet.I felt it would be a way for them to better understand me and why I am the way I am and how it shapes who I am. :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:53 am

I told my mom about this place, in hopes that she'd be able to learn more about me and what I'm going through. Obviously, she'd be able to recognize my username in an instant, but she hardly ever uses the computer (at least to my knowledge 8O )

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 12:20 pm

Bad idea for him to post here if he knows you're here too. Even if you assured him you would never read his posts, he'd probably feel inhibited from really being free to post as he needs to since he knows his aunt could read it at anytime. So you'd be inhibited. He'd be inhibited. Lose-lose.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 6:08 pm

It's a little mean to be so unsharing... :D

I've read lots of stuff on WP and I don't remember you saying anything OTT. I do remember you getting into some arguments but I don't see why it would worry you.

I've posted lots of things here about myself, my family and my children. Not all have been positive. I've posted lewd, crude and whatever... nasty? wrong, mean-spirited stuff.... and hopefully, I've apologised quite a few times too.

One day, I hope my kids will come on here - and I'm sure they'll read my stuff - after all, my user name is my name - more or less.

They'll read some of the posts where I've been told that I'm a bad father and they'll make their own mind up. Perhaps they'll agree, perhaps not. Perhaps they'll see that I took the negative feedback onboard and changed myself. They'll also see a few places where I've been wrong and admitted to it - and apologised. They may see things where I've been wrong and been stupid enough not to apologise.

It's what makes me human. I'm fallible - and I accept it.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 6:21 pm

Would he recognise your username if he didn't know you were on WP? If so, maybe you could contact him with a list of sites and say you found them on the internet and thought they might be of some use...

You could also edit your profile so that your real name becomes Bob, and you work as a lorry driver in Chicago... (unless you actually are...)

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:17 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
But he's such a basket case. And he's so isolated and confused and angry.
I don't blame him. I'm seriously pissed off, too. But I don't have the
aggression/hormones/whatever it is that makes young men act like jerks.
He needs to hang out with other... er... persons like himself while he figures it out.

Is he on medication for his bipolar? The right medication is so important. All that stuff you just said, which I pasted right there, sound like things that can, and should, be taken care of with medication, like a mood stabilizer. Bipolar symptoms aren't something you get over by "figuring it out".

That subject is near and dear to my heart, because my son has AS and bipolar. His BP diagnosis is "unofficial" because childhood-onset BP is not in the current DSM, but for a couple of years before he was put on medication, he was in a constant state of mania/rage/agitation/depression, all mixed up together. Apparently that's how BP can be in kids. It was so awful, and he was so miserable. But the worse thing is that we had no idea he had any kind of condition. So we got angry at him a lot, because we thought he had the world's biggest attitude problem. It had to get really, really bad and frightening before we realized he needed medical help. Once he had been on Trileptal for a week or so, his lovely, sweet, TRUE personality came back, and he was free from his "demons."

I wouldn't wish bipolar on any family.