Do you fear the desintegration of society as we know it?

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you fear society as we know it changing?
Dread it 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Apprehensive 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
Indifferent 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Other ______________________________________ 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 40

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 9:58 am

Greentea wrote:
They seem to believe that society can only change for the worse, that humans are intrinsically bad.

lol.... that made me think of one of my favorite movies "Idiocracy"-have you ever seen it?

I view it the same way at times. I think society as a whole *could* get better, but likely won't. Mainly because so many things are now automated, and people in general aren't getting brighter. I mean, I saw a church sign that was all in that "text speak" or "leet speak" or whatever it's called.

A lot of teenagers in my area seem to have very little respect for anyone, and pretty much act like idiots.

So my view of changes of any sort are very cynical after watching my surroundings. People just sit around and speak nonsense, rely waaaay too much on technology but cannot do a thing on their own (like if their computer crashes, they just stop doing things altogether-no reading, no going to the store, no trying to figure out how to get it fixed even), buy into anything they are told... so many of them sit around and lie all the time about one another.... and unfortunately, I think there are more people like that than there are like us....

So when I was watching "Idiocracy" I couldn't help but to think... you know... that could be us later on. Who knows?

I have a very cynical outlook in general though. Things seem to be less and less understood. My son used a word the other day... cannot remember what it was... but anyway he got in trouble for it because his TEACHER didn't understand what it meant and thought it was an insult. I had to define it for the school basically.

I would probably feel more inclined to believe things would get better if people didn't just take advantage of one another all the time, and go run out and get anything that is "free" the second it is mentioned, even if they don't know what it is.

But personally, I just don't see it happening. Maybe I'm one of the odd Aspies :P

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 11:56 am

I just looked it up on Google - I must see that movie, must be hilarious!

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 12:36 pm

Greentea wrote:
I just looked it up on Google - I must see that movie, must be hilarious!

Oh it is! You must see it.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 1:34 pm

On the contrary, I'm hoping for the disintrigation of society, as it is just that: the disintrigation of all things social, which suits me fine. I hate our increacingly utilitarian society, which carries with it the pitfalls of hedonism. I'd rather chaos, than blandness.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 2:30 pm

Bland is a good term to describe what society has become.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 5:07 pm

Bland and blind society topic

Is society disintegrating? Billions of pieces? I am thinking of the endless subdivision of parts that would go on into infinity. So the more society changes, the more it remains the same. :D

I believe society is made up of the various cultures, economies and politics. The whole world is one, big society on a global scale. It has become the greatest good for the greatest number, though not necessarily good in a good way. And if it operates on lies and deceit, then it is dysfunctional and will continue to be so.

However, I believe that every once in a while something happens to make society a better place. Little oases in a desert. Is this all we can hope for? There may well be more negative than positive, but I am willing to keep hoping for the better to be more pronounced, and to strive to be a part of this hope, not just a spectator. :D The world will never be all things to all people, but those oases will continue to be found.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:36 am

Bland and Hedonistic, as well as Fascist. That's the way I see it going.

It goes stale after a while. At that point, Shiva has to destroy it, in order to let Brahma create.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:49 pm

I voted for "apprehensive"; I certainly cannot predict accurately how society will change (I don't believe anyone can, I don't think our brains, wonderful things that they are, can predict the future course of billions people - but you might disagree!) and so I am somewhat concerned that it will change for the worse - but as I know I can't predict it, I'd rather live in hope. Things look like they're going awfully Malthusian on us - but then they've looked that way for a long time, and we're not done yet.

I do think that there are a lot of things in the world which are zero-sum - things like land (in terms of the "ownership" of which, are we all that better off than feudal times? perhaps, but a tiny number of people still "own" vast areas of land), and water (the trendiest thing to be concerned about these days ;) ), for example. And there are some things which are less than zero-sum - things like petrol, and rainforests, and endangered species; now we have them, tomorrow they're gone, and they're not coming back in a hurry.

The year is still young.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:55 pm

I welcome it. No more BET, no more MTV, no more sh***y reality television as watched by the trendoids....This is looking better than ever!

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 5:33 am

Greentea wrote:
I find a very big difference between most NTs and most Aspies in their attitude towards change in society.

Most NTs will become enraged with fear if you do or say something that might change society as we know it were more people to hear you and believe you and follow you. Regardless of how fortunate these NTs are in the current society, how much it benefits them. They seem to believe that society can only change for the worse, that humans are intrinsically bad.

I find many, many Aspies on WP who don't seem to feel the same way, and the possibility of society change doesn't make them feel threatened.

Edited to add an example for more clarity:
I find that most NTs, if I pressure them with the drawbacks of white lies, start panicking and yelling that if we all said the truth, then society would lose its smoothness and God knows what evils would come down upon us, because humans are basically evil and not to be trusted when telling the truth. I don't find this same belief among Aspies. Why?????

Greentea, someone once posted a link on this website to the 48 Laws of Power; feel free to do a Google Search and you'll find it; I not only have it bookmarked, but also saved to my computer, and even sent it to some friends.

check it out yourself, it explains everything about how NTs operate this world.

I'm not saying it's what they SHOULD, I'm saying it's what they DO.

In fact, I even previously--based on that--decided to share with everyone on the WP forum my new life's philosophy, and no one here could really seem to understand it. I shared it with the folks here, cause it was this forum that helped me come to my understanding of it.

If you want me to re-post it I will; lmk. You seem like one of the really smart ones, Greentea.

Last edited by TheDoctor82 on 26 Aug 2009, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 6:07 am

I guess it's because our life is so miserable that not much can make it worser unless it's finacially.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 6:16 am

Brandon-J wrote:
I guess it's because our life is so miserable that not much can make it worser unless it's finacially.

speak for yourself; my life isn't miserable.

I'm not saying it's the most perfect existence in the world, but it's definitely dramatically improving and getting up there each day! :D

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 3:05 am

Thank you, TheDoctor. Do you want to give us a link to that post where you shared your new philosophy?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 3:44 am

for you Greentea...anything :wink:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt95593.html

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:21 am

Thank you. If I understood you correctly, you're saying that people won't change, so society won't change substantially. I agree. Though I believe that slowly, humans do have the ability and do evolve...

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:39 am

To an extent yes, but I believe mostly technologically. Psychologically/mentally takes a lot longer. And most things humans do just seem to be things that we've done since Day 1...which funny enough most people don't even realize...cause "everything just seems so horrible right now, worse than it's ever been" :lol: :lol: :lol: