Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2009, 9:59 pm

I'm currently residing in New York with my family right after having graduated college and am thinking of doing a cross country trip from New York to LA in my Honda Accord. I love to travel and would love to see as much of the country thats possible along the way. The question that I'm asking here is whether or not an aspie driving across country with not too much clear direction a good idea or not. My ADHD aspect of myself has always made me have a love for moving from place to place and keeping myself entertained and as far as the social thing goes, whoever i stay with along the way will not be with for more than a couple days so the aspie thing is easier to be kept under wraps during that given time.

Also i was thinking of using couchsurfing.net for places to stay or wondering if any of the wonderful people on wrongplanet would put me up (altho if thats asking alot i understand that as well)

but back to the question, who thinks this is a good or bad idea?

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2009, 10:15 pm

I think it's a great idea. I used to hitch-hike around the West and loved it. I liked the solitude (sometimes I was disappointed that I got rides too quickly!), and people seemed to understand if you didn't want to talk much. I liked listening to local people talk in diners over breakfast, and learned a lot about America just by listening.

My guess is that the couchsurfing people have more problems with people being too friendly and sociable than someone who is quiet and polite.

I suggest the opposite of 'keeping the aspie thing under wraps'. If a situation comes up, have a simple 'brain wiring' explanation and leave it at that.

You would totally be welcome here, but I don't think it's on your route.

-The Madness of King George

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2009, 10:23 pm

If you're afraid of not having a clear sense of direction, drop a hundred bucks on a GPS and let technology take care of that for you.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 10:44 pm

You should totally do this trip. You'll see a lot of cool and interesting things, and find out a lot about people and yourself that you'd never expect. It'll be a very enlightening and experience no matter what happens!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 8:03 am

For the last few years, my big "vacation" involves going somewhere distant on my motorcycle. Lots of planning involved. It's exhausting, and I'm going to have to cut back because my body doesn't take the abuse of the long days like it used to, but I've gone from east to west coast and back, Canadian Rockies, Nova Scotia, etc.

I like seeing new places. It helps put my life in perspective. At home, I feel like I'm trapped in a box. On the road, I feel like there's a whole world around me.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 7:06 pm

Since you have graduated from college now, are you taking this trip across the USA because you cannot find a job in your college career field? Traveling is great but, what do you have for money? Are you planning to pick up little jobs, as needed, as
you travel across the country? What will happen if your Honda Accord breaks down in Missouri or Nevada...will you have the money to make repairs and get back on the "open road?"

Be prepared for the unexpected...

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2009, 8:54 pm

well i graduated college with a marketing degree but since i havent looked into marketing jobs as much ive been working as a teachers assistant in a special education classroom and to be quite honest the job drives me crazy. they know i have sensory issues and yet i seem to be placed in classrooms that are the noisiest with the "lowest functioning" kids so i recognize that this school year i may end up quitting after a month or so. I'm not sure what else to do when i do so but i worked two jobs this summer that both paid quite decently and (not to follow any stereotypes but in my family it tends to be true) the jewish aspect of me knows quite well how to save money so i have all the money in my bank account. I also know how to travel cost effectively. I know myself well enough to know that not only would i enjoy it but it seems like the perfect fit for me. On the road i could be my autistic self and not have to interact with people maybe listen to music as well and than when i get to the destinations i can be my extroverted social (in small doses) self. As long as i only stay in each state for less than 7 days i wont get sick of anything....and the subway 5 dollar footlong could feed me for two meals believe it or not.

As for car breaking down I got AAA, i got a phone charger in the car too plus a gps that does shortest time or shortest distance...and the cars in pretty good shape too. I'm just wondering if this is a trip i should do alone or bring someone with me. Everyone says i shouldn't do it alone but than again everyone i know isn't aspie and may not understand why i might enjoy it alone more.

to the people that have done road trips...what were ur experiences like and what do u think?

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2009, 9:11 pm

NTs can't comprehend the joy of solitude, so they always worry about going 'stir crazy'. I don't see a down-side to going solo.

You have communications, money for emergencies, the jewish safety net...

You may want to take little jobs along the way. I found that there were always people offering me room and board and a little pocket money in exchange for odd jobs, or seeing if I could help for haying season. I always tried to stay off the interstate, and on the smaller highways so I could see the real America. People were very nice and understanding everywhere I went outside of cities.

-The Madness of King George