Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

bobinpetaluma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2009, 8:48 pm

I have been thinking and not visiting here, just had to go through a day sorta like without leaning on Wrong Planet.

Was able to do a few things mostly kind of lethargic.

Is it possible for me to just need relief from a lifelong depression and mis-understanding and just glom on to Aspergers because I feel familiar with many of the discussions I have read?

I took the Aspie-quiz and scored Aspie: 148 of 200 and Neurotypical: 57 of 200. You are very likely an Aspie.

I do not know what to do next, my Medicare is effective 1Dec and I will probably qualify for Medical and want to be able to discuss things with a Psychologist as I have been planning. Medicare seems to be the only way to afford to visit a counselor for me.

Also, I seem to be the oldest, if I am Aspie, on any board I have visited. Do Aspie's live to old age? I know 65 is old to a high schooler, but I feel pretty young and don't know much about theAspie Spectrum.

Also, could I just possibly be not very bright and that is the cause of my confusion?

Can anybody help?

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2009, 8:58 pm

A couple of things I'd like to make clear;

1. ASPERGER'S HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MORTALITY!! !! Just so happens that it is something generally spotted in early age/teens, and when you were 16 or so you may have just been seen as an awkward little brat, not someone with a mental health issue. Merely TEN year ago you would have been seen as that...things have moved on.

2. The great thing about people with Asperger's is we tend to have no mental boundaries when it comes to age. I would feel comfortable talking to you, a 65 year old, or a 32 year old, or a 46 year old, it really doesn't matter to me at least, and not many other people either. I'm sure there are not many older people here purely because they do not have diagnosis or (as stereotypical as it sounds) aren't very comfortable with navigating a computer.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2009, 9:02 pm

Also note that those online tests are only a guideline and shouldn't lead to self-diagnosis...you should really talk to a mental health professional who will perhaps be able to give you formal diagnosis and all the right phone numbers and access to whatever support you may need.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:24 pm

In my local autism support group, there is an Aspie who is almost 80. She has just been recently diagnosed. I don't recommend official adult diagnosis if one lives in the P.S.A. due to the fact that there are no services for autistic people, nor are autistic people able to purchase health insurance policies.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:27 pm

Welcome. Fortunately all research studies on AS and lifespan show no effects of AS on mortality. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of studies on the subject, and people with AS are at higher risk for certain conditions, including depression.

That said, I don't think you can glom onto AS. As AJCoyne said, talk to a mental health professional, as you're planning to do, and get evaluated. The online tests are at most useful as screening tools, and some mental health professionals will take an interest in your test results. But they will want to diagnose you themselves.

I haven't kept track of the ages on WP, given the membership. I'm 40+, and was only diagnosed recently, having been born before AS entered the U.S. mental health lexicon.

Whether or not you're an Aspie, you're welcome to hang around here as much as you want. I've seen a number of members who are not Aspies but have other conditions, or just (for whatever reason) seem to appreciate or enjoy Aspie company.

Finally, age will only matter in a handful of discussion threads. And even there it doesn't seem to matter much.

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2009, 9:57 pm

:)

I think if you feel your depression is linked to AS you should speak to a psy but don't expect to get anywhere too quickly because it takes long.

Mostly even once they do see you they don't know what to do with you.

Easier said than done, I know, but probably best to get the ball rolling with assessment and try to find something that interests you to do in the meantime rather than wallowing (much easier said than done).

Are you male or female? Also, are you alone a lot? Because I think that makes it worse.

I don't think AS in itself affects morbidity, although in my case, my fussy eating and other bad habits mostly likely do!

Sam

bobinpetaluma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2009, 10:03 pm

Thank you all for the advice.

Bob in Petaluma

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2009, 9:41 am

I'm 72, Bob. Does that help? As several others have said, there's no known link between Asperger's and longevity. There probably aren't too many of us elders on forums because no diagnosis was available when we were young, and a lot of us have discivered our aspieness fairly recently, and on our own. I'm not formally diagnosed, but I've done enough reearch and self-analysis to be confident that I"m on the spectrum.

Your depression may or may not be related to Asperger's. Whether it is or isn't, a good therapist may be able to help you with it.

The best way to learn about the spectrum is to keep reading and asking questions.

bobinpetaluma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2009, 10:35 am

UnusualSuspect,

Thank you thank you,

It is nice to have context added to the discussion. You know, the kind I can relate to a little easier.

I was beginning to feel like a dirty old man. Hahaha

My plan is to seek help soon, my medicare starts 1Dec, but I believe that no matter what, this WrongPlanet has already helped me, even if I not an Aspie.

The honesty and the not snarkie comments are very interesting and informative.

Thank everyone for the encouragement and understanding.

Bob in Petaluma