Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,320
Location: USA

06 Mar 2014, 3:57 pm

You know, I don't get why we call pirated copies of movies "bootlegged" They look a lot more like pegs to me. Haha.



franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 738

06 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

I don't think I get the joke. why peg?



Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,320
Location: USA

06 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

because of the mpeg file format.



aeio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2012
Age: 120
Gender: Male
Posts: 7

06 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

lol



franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 738

06 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
because of the mpeg file format.


oh right, well in that case I suppose getting the joke does depend on how much you know about films, I have no idea whether NTs would get it, some would I am sure but it does depend on knowledge about the subject



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,273
Location: Reading, England

06 Mar 2014, 4:13 pm

I think most people would think you were making a simple "peg-legged/pirate" joke and not catch on to your second pun. I certainly didn't.



GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 806
Location: USA

06 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

double post


_________________
?The first duty of a human being is to assume the right functional relationship to society--more briefly, to find your real job, and do it.? - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
"There never was a good war, or a bad peace." - Benjamin Franklin


Last edited by GivePeaceAChance on 06 Mar 2014, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,585
Location: Europe

06 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

I have to say I think it is a corny joke, it might be funny to a computer nerd but not to me.


_________________
Health is a state of physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity :alien: I am not a jigsaw, I am a free man !


daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,001
Location: My own little world

06 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think most people would think you were making a simple "peg-legged/pirate" joke and not catch on to your second pun. I certainly didn't.


Yeah, all I got was the peg/ peg-legged pirate pun.



GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 806
Location: USA

06 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think most people would think you were making a simple "peg-legged/pirate" joke and not catch on to your second pun. I certainly didn't.


yes, it is not really that NT's are the target but computer nerds


_________________
?The first duty of a human being is to assume the right functional relationship to society--more briefly, to find your real job, and do it.? - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
"There never was a good war, or a bad peace." - Benjamin Franklin


Andras
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 809
Location: Netherlands

06 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

I don't think it matters if a person is NT or AS in this case to get the joke. There's a far better chance the person gets the joke if they know about mpeg format movies, regardless if they are NT or not.


_________________
Self-diagnosed HFA


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,070
Location: temperate zone

06 Mar 2014, 5:25 pm

Even if the listener gets that 'peg' means 'mpeg' file it still doesnt really work as a joke.

You might say something along the lines of:

"Why do they call bootlegged movies 'pirated movies'?

ARrrrrrrrrr! Because theyre 'mpeg legged' ...me hardy!"


Go into rough pirate talk when you say the second line.

Might work with the right audience of IT geeks.



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 36,894
Location: Top deck of the funny bus....blowing bubbles

06 Mar 2014, 5:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Even if the listener gets that 'peg' means 'mpeg' file it still doesnt really work as a joke.

You might say something along the lines of:

"Why do they call bootlegged movies 'pirated movies'?

ARrrrrrrrrr! Because theyre 'mpeg legged' ...me hardy!"


Go into rough pirate talk when you say the second line.

Might work with the right audience of IT geeks.


:lol: That's not bad.

I wouldn't have got it though, if it hadn't have been explained in all the other above posts.


_________________
I can't say that I have ever shat on my own doorstep.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,070
Location: temperate zone

06 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

Thanks.

But yeah...even in my version you still have to be a computer geek (NT vs AS doesnt matter) to have the knowledge to get it without it being explained.



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 36,894
Location: Top deck of the funny bus....blowing bubbles

06 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

I was thinking about clothes pegs. :lol:


_________________
I can't say that I have ever shat on my own doorstep.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!


StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073
Location: Starship Voyager, somewhere in the Delta quadrant

06 Mar 2014, 11:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think most people would think you were making a simple "peg-legged/pirate" joke and not catch on to your second pun. I certainly didn't.


This. I didn't realise the joke wasn't about pirates, and I still don't get it.


_________________
"Survival is insufficient" - Seven of Nine
Diagnosed with ASD level 1 on the 10th of April, 2014
Rediagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 4th of May, 2019
Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!