Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Squidward
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2009, 1:55 pm

I've suspected that I have Asperger's for a few months now, but having only just completed the "Aspie Quiz" (the one where you're graded out of 100), and viewing the "You Might Be An Aspie If" thread, there are a couple of other things I realised that might also be a part of it.

These aren't things that I've made up or forced upon myself for the purpose of affirming my own suspicion; I've just applied prior observations about myself to my current way of thinking, and realised that I've probably always known I'm slightly different to most.

I've never been able to look directly at the clear, blue sky for any length of time longer than one would look directly at the sun. The blue colour and the light are far too bright, and I always avert my eyes. I had always assumed that this was the case for everyone, that the sky's blue colour was the sun's light reflected from gas particles, and no one could stand to look at it. After reading about other Aspies' various symptoms, I gradually realised that my inability to look at the sky might also be a symptom. To make sure I wasn't making a big deal out of nothing, I asked a few friends of mine if they were able to look at the sky, and to prove it, and they all said yes and looked upwards. I copied them and after half a second I had to retreat, rubbing my eyes and blinking rapidly. It actually hurts, even though I know that staring at the sky won't make me blind like staring at the sun will.

While doing the Aspie Quiz, one of the questions I was asked was, "Do you use stock phrases or sentences in your everyday speech?" My mouth fell open. I've always done that. It always seemed perfectly logical, because I was never the wittiest person in a social situation. I'd listen to what people say and how others react, and use the same combinations of words with a separate group of people. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

My point is that various facets of my life that I've always accepted and never questioned now appear to be symptomatic of possible Asperger's Syndrome. Is this true of other Aspies, where you read about Asperger's and inadvertently find explanations for your various quirks, or is my mind interpreting every little thing in such a way because the notion of Asperger's (or ADHD, OCD, though less likely than AS) is present at the forefront of my thoughts now?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:03 pm

Yes it's probably because your eyes are hypersensitive. Sensory sensitivities are common in those on the spectrum.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:06 pm

My son is the same. He gets dizzy, and it takes him a while to calm down afterwards. On sunny days he tends to look down. He claim that he feels like he'd fall forever... also that the blue gives him a headache.

SkittlesMcBingBing
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2009, 2:10 pm

"Do you use stock phrases or sentences in your everyday speech?" My mouth fell open. I've always done that. It always seemed perfectly logical, because I was never the wittiest person in a social situation. I'd listen to what people say and how others react, and use the same combinations of words with a separate group of people. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't."

My girlfriend, an Aspie, does this constantly too. The "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't" thing is also how she experiences it. I think this stems from verbal language being her second language, as she explains it. Not talking until age 5 or 6 is pretty common for Aspie children, but she remembers all the vivid feelings and sensations of life--just no words in the english language to really describe them.

On a related note, she's now a poet.

But social situations for her are always tough. We've talked openly about this--her "verbal cadence," as I call it. It's as if the rest of the world were speaking in symphony, and she's always a half beat behind. To make up for this trouble communicating ideas in the rapid succession of NT's, she has used stock phrases and rehearsed quips, which can be decently helpful. Doesn't make regular communication any less stressful though, especially in job interviews or talking with teachers.

As far as looking at the sky hurting your eyes, that's a common Aspie symptom, being irritated by just too much bright color too fast. And if you're worried that you'll self diagnose yourself wrongly because you're now filled with information about Aspergers which is skewing your assumptions--well... that's kind of how doctors do it. Heck, you can't get a doctor to follow you around for a month before prescribing antidepressants--he or she trusts your judgement after a discussion or two in the office.

So I wouldn't worry about formal diagnosis or grouping yourself as a problem. Really, the way you feel is the way you feel, and if Aspie is what it looks like you are, then that's just it. Welcome to humanity :)

I believe I am cousin.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:11 pm

I don't usually have that. I prefer to look at the sky when its changing colors (darker blues, navy, blue-greens, black, purples, etc.) though. I can look at the sky, but not forever (unless the sun is on the "opposite side" from my point of view of the portion of the sky I'm looking at. Unlike many people I've met I prefer cloudy skies to bright clear ones.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:13 pm

I sneeze when I look at the sky!

RichardBB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm

I'm an aspie and I love to look at the sky. It has never caused me a problem.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:47 pm

Sky unlimited topic

I never used to look at the sky (bright blue on a cloudless day) when I was a kid for the same reason that Squidward gave. But as an adult, I love the blue colour (even though it is out of focus). I see lots of small circles (they look like bubbles) in the sky (probably because of the lack of focus). My eyes get squinty. But cloudy days and gray skies make it easy to look up--away up!

I like to see the thin white smoke trails left by supersonic jets. These are so high you can see the curve of the earth. Just spectacular!! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Arcadian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 6:03 am

Squidward wrote:
My point is that various facets of my life that I've always accepted and never questioned now appear to be symptomatic of possible Asperger's Syndrome. Is this true of other Aspies,
not only do I remember symptoms I didn't realize were symptoms until I learned more about my dx, I also remember people mentioning such things, one friend telling me I talk slow, several times when I was told I was "obsessing", things that seaming so natural, I simply disregarded, to me they seamed normal, not different, not realizing the symptoms until you realize the condition is natural, and reexamining these symptoms afterward is also natural,
Squidward wrote:
I copied them and after half a second I had to retreat, rubbing my eyes and blinking rapidly
unless it's directly at the sun most people can look at the sky for as long as they could look at anything without blinking, the fact that you can only go
Squidward wrote:
half a second
is definitely something, and given your mention of stock phrases, that something is far more likely than not on the autism spectrum, in short, the answer to
Squidward wrote:
or is my mind interpreting every little thing in such a way because the notion of Asperger's (or ADHD, OCD, though less likely than AS) is present at the forefront of my thoughts now?
is no the human mind can deceive itself, but not enough to make these experiences invalid, your post leads me to believe you are not diagnosed but I strongly believe you are one of us, welcome

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 6:22 am

On a regular sunny day i can't look at the sky for long at all. All the pictures i see of myself as a kid when i was outside, i was all squinty. Having blue eyes doesn't help, either. If it's really cloudy or something i can sometimes, though. Where the sun is and all plays a role too.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 7:17 am

Use Polaroid (tm) sunglasses. You will be able to enjoy the clouds, even if the colors are altered for you. Actually, with Polaroids one can see details in cumulus clouds better than with the naked eye.

ruveyn

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 7:21 am

To float in water and feel the body beeing one with the water and at the same time look right up in the sky, to see the sun, the clouds moving or a beatiful blue skypattern is one of the best things I can do in life!

*sorry for only replying to the threadtitle* :oops:

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 8:11 am

I have both of those 'symptoms' (scary word) that you described. The sky is too bright even through a window to me, and I have a large collection of stock phrases filed in my head. But I do know the feeling, finding out that your behaviours that you thought were unique, are actually part of a 'disorder' (another scary word :D) meaning that its NOT that you don't try hard enough and its NOT your fault for your behaviour (its your brain's).
Adelaide does seem to be getting bright blue skies lately, though. But it is Spring!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:18 am

ruveyn wrote:
Use Polaroid (tm) sunglasses. You will be able to enjoy the clouds, even if the colors are altered for you. Actually, with Polaroids one can see details in cumulus clouds better than with the naked eye.

ruveyn
Thank you! I'm going to buy some for my son. He's fascinated by weather, but can't watch it in the sky. I know of a few occasions where he's felt he missed out because of this.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2009, 9:42 am

On particularly bright days I have that problem, but much worse is looking at the ground when it is highly reflective - eg white concrete. I find that whenever I have to walk across such a surface on a reasonably bright day I can barely keep my eyes open.

wrt to stock phrases, I'm not officially diagnosed, but I rely upon them a lot. I tend to be very non-spontaneous as far as conversation is concerned; often using fragments of speech that I've encountered in the past as templates for what I'm going to say.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2009, 9:56 am

Arcanyn wrote:
On particularly bright days I have that problem, but much worse is looking at the ground when it is highly reflective - eg white concrete. I find that whenever I have to walk across such a surface on a reasonably bright day I can barely keep my eyes open.

I find the same., at least during the middle of the day in the spring and summer months. I can't look up, even with my eyes closed - the light feels like it's stabbing it, and I can't look down. I walk for a few seconds, open my eyes for a half-second or so to get an updated look around, and continue on. If the sky were thickly overcast every day during the high-sun season, I would totally love it!

Arcanyn wrote:
wrt to stock phrases, I'm not officially diagnosed, but I rely upon them a lot. I tend to be very non-spontaneous as far as conversation is concerned; often using fragments of speech that I've encountered in the past as templates for what I'm going to say.

Stock phrases, verbal rituals and made-up words are pervasive in what I say (when I talk at all), unless discussing details of my work or of my special interests. Add song lyrics and movie lines to complete the repertoire. Living overseas now, I get to learn a whole new set of the above in another language - serious fun for the autistic mind!