Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

therange
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:06 pm

I find it hard to identify with about 90% of people. My friend, for example, gets drunk, thinks pot should be legalized, buys guns "because he can," has slept with about 15 women, and spends all of his time talking to me bragging about some house he bought about 5 minutes away from his parents. I know Neurotypicals tend to go with the masses...so that explains the partying and sex, and I know they value independence, so it explains why he thinks it's so great that he bought a house...but I can't identify with him on any level. I personally see him as a tool, and if I was neurotypical, wouldn't be living a life anything like his.

And this is a friend. Most other people, I look at them as disposable people. The only people I identify with are true individuals that make their own decisions and have ideas about life other than partying, drinking, doing drugs, having some sh***y job to buy a house in the same town you grew up in, basically a self-imposed life of mediocrity and complacency. People that drink are an instant turn-off to me. It means that they have a hard time saying "no." I've had all kinds of alcohol, it tastes like crap, and it feels really sh*tty to get drunk, not to mention the hangover.

I find myself going to bookstores to try to meet women, because if they're there on a friday or saturday night and not at a bar or nightclub, it means they have some true independence and individuality.

End of rant. Feel free to discuss.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:13 pm

While you're in the bookstore, check into Wendell Berry's writings. I think you'll enjoy his perspective. :)

It's tough to find quality people. No matter what groups you get into, you'll find the majority are all hive-minds, just doing the dance cause it's coded in their genes. But I keep going 'cause every now and then a goat shows up... someone who has a brain of their own.

Good luck, good hunting.
:P

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:53 pm

Good rant! A++ Would read again!

I feel exactly the same way. Majority of people lead deplorable lives centered around fulfilling their base instincts. They drink, they smoke, take drugs, assert their dominance over others, go to nightclubs to pickup casual sex partners, accumulate stuff, don't care about hurting others; all the while they pretend to be moral and upstanding citizens.

Families are falling apart and yet they project a picture-perfect couple with kids to all their friends and neighbors. Everyone lies.

I may have more questions than answers, and I may be unhappy. But the answers and the prentend-happiness discovered by the majority of society are the wrong ones. That is not the existence I want for myself.

There is a reason why intellect and troubled souls often go hand in hand.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

Dilbert wrote:
I feel exactly the same way. Majority of people lead deplorable lives centered around fulfilling their base instincts. They drink, they smoke, take drugs, assert their dominance over others, go to nightclubs to pickup casual sex partners, accumulate stuff, don't care about hurting others; all the while they pretend to be moral and upstanding citizens.

Families are falling apart and yet they project a picture-perfect couple with kids to all their friends and neighbors. Everyone lies.

I may have more questions than answers, and I may be unhappy. But the answers and the prentend-happiness discovered by the majority of society are the wrong ones. That is not the existence I want for myself.

There is a reason why intellect and troubled souls often go hand in hand.

This is rich considering your idea of restraint is not letting a guy get into a woman's pants until after the 3rd date.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm

I assumed you were young. But 51?

Most women would lose patience and get pretty frustrated if a guy didn't make a move after 3 dates. We all want the same thing. To deny that basic human condition is to deny being human.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:13 am

The woman you made that rec'd to is young, in college. I was the person who suggested she wait at least a month before going that far. Another woman suggested she do a criminal background check.

Some people do want more than to just get laid, they want a long term relationship with a safe person. Your suggestion that "everyone wants the same thing"--meaning sex--is base, coarse, and insulting.

Perhaps you want frequent casual sex with people you barely know. But to generalize that to everyone is a mistake, and to say that you find the "Majority of people lead deplorable lives centered around fulfilling their base instincts."...frankly you haven't distinguished yourself from them in my mind.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:56 am

It's good to find people who want to communicate on your intellectual level. However, it's not a good idea to keep a "holier than thou" attitude toward everyone who wants to realize thier innate animal instincts though. I believe these instincts are the most pure, uncorruptable, & powerful aspects of human nature & in no way should be denied.

Like most aspies, my interface with people is lousy, so I have a much harder time getting these needs fulfilled than most. It's still not a good enough reason to suppress them. I want excitement, companionship, sex, & control as much as any NT. Just wish I had better abilities to get it all.