Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2006, 6:15 pm

Laz wrote:
Well your medical problems or whether your gay or not. It doesn't bother me either way. If anyone is stupid enough to join up with the armed forces they should be allowed to. Go for it Sean you have my approval. I don't quite understand why the army is being so reluctant taking you guys on i thought they were looking out for cannon fodder to send to iraq or the armies stationed in various countries the Us has an obligation to defend (south Korea, Tiawan) . But i wish you luck in actually wanting to be recruited in the army, rather you then me sucker.

Just remember Laz, ....

Four feet good, two feet bad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 1:37 am

Sean, I'd advise you to think long and hard about enlisting in the military. For one thing, we're currently in a conflict in which we have no idea how long it'll last. It would be different if we were in peacetime and you could, at least, use the G.I. bill to pay for your schooling and learn skills without your life being in danger. However, this war over in Iraq is no joke. We already have 2000 of our men dead and many who come home alive are so psychologically scarred it'll take years to adjust to being back home.

You need to ask yourself how well you can handle everyday civilian life. If having AS interferes with your coping skills state-side, then you must consider how you'll react to being in battle with loud bombs and artillary fire all around you. If it bothers neurotypical enlistees, can you imagine how it would affect someone with sensory issues? Most importantly, are you able to take orders without question even though it means carrying out actions you find morally compromising? If you're in battle, you will be ordered to kill others. Can your concience handle you being the cause of one person's death?

The military may seem like a good career option on the surface but too many people signing up aren't cognisant of what they have to give up in order to receive a free education, paycheck and rank. The amount of money you get depends on what field you study so you might not receive the whole amount. They will not tell you this during recrutment. Of course, there's so much more they won't tell you as well.

Before you visit their office, please research all that's involved in these "perks" they offer you. And find out from a neutral source, not the armed forces website or brochures. Please make sure you're not going in with expectations based on hype and false promises.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2006, 3:49 am

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
For one thing, we're currently in a conflict in which we have no idea how long it'll last [...] If you're in battle, you will be ordered to kill others...

Perhaps that's part of the attraction. Some (maybe many) join up because they want to experience combat. You'd probably find most males wouldn't have too much of a problem with the killing, anyway, especially after going through the training.

Btw, that's an observation, I'm not passing any judgment on the wisdom of thinking like that.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2006, 7:38 pm

im consering joining the milatary too. im gion tin the officers program in college.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 8:18 pm

ascan wrote:
nirrti_rachelle wrote:
For one thing, we're currently in a conflict in which we have no idea how long it'll last [...] If you're in battle, you will be ordered to kill others...

Perhaps that's part of the attraction. Some (maybe many) join up because they want to experience combat. You'd probably find most males wouldn't have too much of a problem with the killing, anyway, especially after going through the training.

Btw, that's an observation, I'm not passing any judgment on the wisdom of thinking like that.

I will openly admit i have a fascination/aspie obsession with warfare, military history and play complex wargames. However, at heart I am a pacifist influenced by what ive read the people ive met and family members who were involved in wars. To be fair im abborent of violencve full stop.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

06 Feb 2006, 10:40 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
Sean,

The CP might keep you out. My brother has slight CP, so slight that no one knows, and he is a weight-lifter. BUT, the diagnosis itself kept him out of the armed forces.

They Can and sometimes do check medical records. So if there is something there that can gig you, they WILL find it. This is 100% true if you have to apply for security clearance of any kind. They interview everyone you lived near since you were a kid, and even your old teachers sometimes. that paperwork is lengthy and includes medical stuff. depending on your MOS, you might have to fill that out. Getting caught in a lie in that paperwork CAN get you sent to prison, but at the a courtmarshal, a discharge and a nasty record.
but on the bright side, many things can be wavered with a call to the local US congressman's office. PM me if you want some of the details on the recrutment process, and what they look for. I have been through it and can give you some tips.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:22 am

Laz wrote:
I will openly admit i have a fascination/aspie obsession with warfare, military history and play complex wargames. However, at heart I am a pacifist influenced by what ive read the people ive met and family members who were involved in wars. To be fair im abborent of violencve full stop.

Well, I've read a few books on military matters, and can't resist those History Channel documentaries on various campaigns, or those technical documentaries on stuff like nuclear weapon development. It is fascinating. However, war is a terrible thing — I've no doubt.

There are worse things, though. Like living a life marred by repression and fear, enforced by terror and evil that is part of the human psyche; which manifests itself where individuals are left to reign unchecked. For that reason, I could never be a pacifist. There must be the threat of violence to maintain freedom; so, to maintain freedom there will always be the need for armies, and weapons, I think. That threat of violence needs to be maintained by the state, in order to protect it's global interests, and by the citizen, also, who should, in a genuinely free country, be able to maintain the means to do away with an authority that acts against the interests of the people.

Although you're a "pacifist at heart", I reckon you probably agree with some of that. Do you?

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2006, 5:17 am

I was an army reservist for 12 months. It involved one night every week, a weekend every two weeks, and at least four weeks full time every year (I did six).

I liked wearing a uniform and blending in. I liked being part of a group even if I was different. I liked drill (I had a loud commanding voice). And I liked sleeping out of doors. I liked being told what to do (up to a point).

It was like going camping (most of the time).

I learnt how to become very efficient doing things in the shortest amount of time. I learnt to iron clothing.

What I didn't like were the losers who were on power trips (those with rank) to gain respect when in their full time civilian job/life, they were probably unliked.

It was interesting at the time.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 12:49 pm

I think that the military is one of the worst places in existance for an aspie. Just watch the movie Full Metal Jacket to see what I mean.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 1:53 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I think that the military is one of the worst places in existance for an aspie. Just watch the movie Full Metal Jacket to see what I mean.

Full Metal Jacket was made in the 80's and it's outdated. Due to lawsuits, suicides, and sexual harassment, you're going to see few cases of that today. When I went to air force boot camp the TI's weren't suppsed to curse at you, they couldn't touch you, and if they did they would be in very big trouble. The cursing was lax but if they dropped an f bomb we were told to go straight to our section supervisor. It has to do with sexual harassment cases in the military that occured a short time ago. But the decision is ultimately yours. Are you ready physically and mentally? As far as medical records, try to be as honest as you can about any information that you have on file, because if you get hurt while in training maybe due to a condition you already had and it's on file, they will get your ass on fraud. And fraud stays on your records. Boot camp is hard, and I didn't have problems until I got sick. Another problem I had was being around so many people. Your going to be sharing a room with 50 or more. And it is a time of war. Be prepared to go overseas.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:56 pm

Aspie1 wrote:

I did 4 years in the corps and boot camp was'nt QUITE that bad. The movie made me LMAO though. :lol:

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:58 pm

[quote="LazI will openly admit i have a fascination/aspie obsession with warfare, military history and play complex wargames. However, at heart I am a pacifist influenced by what ive read the people ive met and family members who were involved in wars. To be fair im abborent of violencve full stop.[/quote]

Four feet good, two feet bad...

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 4:14 pm

Now heres a good reason to join the british military

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=517198059628627413

Ice_Man708
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2006, 6:03 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
thats great!!
8) 8) 8) 8)

trelayne
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2006, 10:24 pm

Laz wrote:
Well your medical problems or whether your gay or not. It doesn't bother me either way. If anyone is stupid enough to join up with the armed forces they should be allowed to. Go for it Sean you have my approval. I don't quite understand why the army is being so reluctant taking you guys on i thought they were looking out for cannon fodder to send to iraq or the armies stationed in various countries the Us has an obligation to defend (south Korea, Tiawan) . But i wish you luck in actually wanting to be recruited in the army, rather you then me sucker.

Amen

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

10 Feb 2006, 11:18 pm

I liked the uinformity (no pun intended) and the predictibility of the military. The group was accepting of intelegant people for the most part and we all had simmilar intrests.

I will say this to anyone that has so untactfully referred to anyone that joins up as "stupid" or what have you that those armed forces are the reason you have the freedom to say what you please. The men and women in uniform DESERVE to be referred to with respect. If we did not have such a large VOLUNTEER military, guess what, there WOULD BE a draft, and many people that CHOOSE not to serve would be forced to. Our armed forces, no matter what ones opinion of the military actions, deserve our respect and our thanks for doing a job that isnt easy, that involves personal sacrifice, AND a job that ultimately keeps the rest of us free. If a person is "stupid" for wanting to serve his or her country then I am right up there with them. If you dont like the freedoms that they are protecting, then you are free to exit the free world at anytime.

Semper FI