Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 11:50 am

I just set it up. I'm sure the doctor made his diagnosis just by listening to me stutter on the phone. Okay, probably not, but I'm sure he thinks I need some kind of help...ha. I e-mailed him first, and he wanted me to call. Took me a week to finally do that. Anyway, I'll let everyone know the verdict next week. I don't think he specializes in autism, so if he gives me some other wacky diagnosis, I'm gonna seek out someone who has a better grasp on AS for a second opinion. If the second one is a negative, then I guess I'm just a freak of nature. :P

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm

what kind of doc are you seeing?

and good luck - although luck has nothing to do with it; it just sounds strange to say "have a good time".

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 7:21 pm

Good Luck!
Let me know if you find a good understanding affordable person.
The last time I went, I went to Baylor...and he talked to me for over 2 hours and agreed with the assessment that I am on the spectrum...but he would not help with the ADD stuff, and I did not get a call back...for my next appointment...

Then, out of the blue, I just received a bill for an additional 25.00...assumable for the missed "next" appointment that I was not called about... :?

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 7:32 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Good Luck!
Then, out of the blue, I just received a bill for an additional 25.00...assumable for the missed "next" appointment that I was not called about... :?
argh. that is so not right!

unix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm

I don't know what country you live in or how old you are.... BUT I will say good luck finding someone who knows what AS is... especially adult AS. If you ask me, it seems like the medical community thinks AS is a childhood illness and once you are an adult you are magically cured. At this point, I don't like the medical community because 99% of them refuse to return phone calls, and when you call you get voicemail.

I have an appt on Sept 18th and I made the appt SIX weeks ago...

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 11:05 pm

I'm excited for you. I do hope all goes well for you in this process.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 1:54 am

This is the guy: http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/55519.html

A friend of mine recommended him. He said he has patients with AS, so that's good.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:04 am

Good luck with the appointment.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:37 pm

Well, I got my diagnosis, but it was pretty clear that this guy wasn't as informed about Asperger's as I am. He was making observations solely based on pathology making no connection to autism. Because of my nerves I was speaking even more erratic than normal, and based on a few other observations, he said that I share some characteristics of Schizoid. Many of those symptoms come with Asperger's, but he said I didn't fit all the criteria for Schizoid. Good, cos I don't like that name.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:57 pm

idiocratik wrote:
Well, I got my diagnosis, but it was pretty clear that this guy wasn't as informed about Asperger's as I am. He was making observations solely based on pathology making no connection to autism. Because of my nerves I was speaking even more erratic than normal, and based on a few other observations, he said that I share some characteristics of Schizoid. Many of those symptoms come with Asperger's, but he said I didn't fit all the criteria for Schizoid. Good, cos I don't like that name.

So you got a label based on just one talk with a therapist? That's strnage. I mean, many disorders overlap and you may present differently in one situation vs. another, so it seems stupid if a doc were making a dx based on just one meeting.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 5:24 pm

ChangelingGirl wrote:
idiocratik wrote:

So you got a label based on just one talk with a therapist? That's strnage. I mean, many disorders overlap and you may present differently in one situation vs. another, so it seems stupid if a doc were making a dx based on just one meeting.

Yeah, I agree, but he said I had my diagnosis today, so.. whatever.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 3:09 am

I was afraid that if I went in for a diagnosis that I'd be expected to continue therapy. I don't need a goddamned shrink. No matter what you say in there, it gets written down and applied to your psych evaluation, so if I get mad about anything I'm going to get the "why does that make you mad?" BS, or "where is this hostility coming from?" Showing any kind of response that they feel is a "symptom" and they'll put more labels on you. I don't consider having Asperger's Syndrome as a disorder. Sure, perhaps it has ailed me in many situations, but I'm not weak-minded. I've worked through a lot of difficulties on my own and with the support of my family and friends. I'm not interested nor do I need therapy. My mother keeps saying, "I'm not all knowing," and that a professional opinion would be helpful. Well, I got the opinion I desired. I don't feel good at all about continuing to see this guy. I get this intuitive feeling about it. I need to find someone who specializes in autism.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 3:59 am

When I'm nervous or really trying to explain something I tend to have a lot of thinking pauses. This guy associated that with Schizoid. I told him it was also part of AS, and he said it wasn't.

Yeah, I don't want to see him again.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 1:51 pm

idiocratik wrote:
When I'm nervous or really trying to explain something I tend to have a lot of thinking pauses. This guy associated that with Schizoid. I told him it was also part of AS, and he said it wasn't.

Yeah, I don't want to see him again.
he's full of crap. it's called speech blocking, and it's a form of stuttering where blocks of speech are separated by a pause, even mid-word. Tony Attwood wrote on page 86 or so of Asperger's syndrome: a guide for parents and professionals that asperger's can have issues with stuttering when anxious. I know I do.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 2:06 pm

also see the section at the top called What Are Autism Spectrum Disorders http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=625