Do you have NT friends?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 30 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 38

Chiron0224
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2009, 6:02 pm

Hi. Let me begin by saying that I am a new member on this forum and this will be my first post::trumpets sound and balloons fall from the ceiling::

I have been visiting the site for some time now, being an aspie myself, and have read several of the articles and forum posts. Also, I used to frequent the chat room, though I haven't been back in a while. It was at this site that I first learned words like neurodiversity and NT(neurotypical).

I believe that this website exists, among other reasons, to allow the members of the autistic community to get together and share/vent their frustrations about living in an NT world(according to those bastards at autism speaks they outnumber us 149-1). It can become all too easy, however, to get in the habit of NT bashing.

Let me be perfectly honest when I say that I'm also guilty of this behavior. There has been many a time when I catch myself saying or thinking things like "those NTs are all such liars" or "don't they realize that they are so self contradictory and illogical?". While I admit at times to fighting the urge to strangle one, I still feel it neccesary to say one thing which doesn't get said nearly enough by autistic people.

I LOVE NTs!! !

Everyone I've ever loved, actually, has been an NT(well, except for my friend Greg who is an aspie like me).

My parents are both NT(I'm one of those "no family history" cases)
all my friends are NT(Greg moved away leaving me without any autistic friends)
all my ex-girlfriends were NT(well, their was one where I have my doubts)

So I want to take this time to say some positive things about our quirky NT neighbors and I hope you will join me in truly celebrating our neurodiversity.

1. NTs are fascinating: The way they interact without words is bizarre and can be a subject of great fascination.

2. an NT friend(everyone should have at least one) can be a good wingman in social situations: NTs can smell a bad social interaction a mile away. They are always the first to know when someone is getting annoyed/frustrated and if you have one on your side it's a great early warning system.

3. NT friends help you learn to bridge the gap: My NT friends are always helping me understand the NT world and how to improve my interactions. One of my friends, for instance, reminded me recently that I should "watch what I say" because I was being too blunt. I didn't take offense because I knew that she understood why I am so blunt and was trying to help me avoid offending people.

4. NTs always know when something is wrong: My NT friends can usually tell when something is bothering me(I am high functioning enough to use a slight amount of non-verbal communication without realizing it. Reading it, on the other hand, is very difficult for me) and are always there to help.

5. NTs can offer a different perspective on things: NTs see things differently than we do and this can be a good thing. When and Autistic person AND an NT get together to address a problem they can cover it from all angles.

6.an NT can act as an interpreter: My NT friends often explain to me some of the bizarre behaviors and statements from NTs I'm interacting with. I.e., He's just saying that, what he really means is...(seriously, I will never get used to the say one thing and mean another thing)

To make a long story short. I love my NT brothers and sisters, and I think the world would be a little less complete if they weren't there. Just like I think the world would be a little less complete without us. So please, make sure you hug an NT today.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 8:07 pm

Chiron0224 wrote:
Hi. Let me begin by saying that I am a new member on this forum and this will be my first post::trumpets sound and balloons fall from the ceiling::

I have been visiting the site for some time now, being an aspie myself, and have read several of the articles and forum posts. Also, I used to frequent the chat room, though I haven't been back in a while. It was at this site that I first learned words like neurodiversity and NT(neurotypical).

I believe that this website exists, among other reasons, to allow the members of the autistic community to get together and share/vent their frustrations about living in an NT world(according to those bastards at autism speaks they outnumber us 149-1). It can become all too easy, however, to get in the habit of NT bashing.

Let me be perfectly honest when I say that I'm also guilty of this behavior. There has been many a time when I catch myself saying or thinking things like "those NTs are all such liars" or "don't they realize that they are so self contradictory and illogical?". While I admit at times to fighting the urge to strangle one, I still feel it neccesary to say one thing which doesn't get said nearly enough by autistic people.

I LOVE NTs!! !

Everyone I've ever loved, actually, has been an NT(well, except for my friend Greg who is an aspie like me).

My parents are both NT(I'm one of those "no family history" cases)
all my friends are NT(Greg moved away leaving me without any autistic friends)
all my ex-girlfriends were NT(well, their was one where I have my doubts)

So I want to take this time to say some positive things about our quirky NT neighbors and I hope you will join me in truly celebrating our neurodiversity.

1. NTs are fascinating: The way they interact without words is bizarre and can be a subject of great fascination.

2. an NT friend(everyone should have at least one) can be a good wingman in social situations: NTs can smell a bad social interaction a mile away. They are always the first to know when someone is getting annoyed/frustrated and if you have one on your side it's a great early warning system.

3. NT friends help you learn to bridge the gap: My NT friends are always helping me understand the NT world and how to improve my interactions. One of my friends, for instance, reminded me recently that I should "watch what I say" because I was being too blunt. I didn't take offense because I knew that she understood why I am so blunt and was trying to help me avoid offending people.

4. NTs always know when something is wrong: My NT friends can usually tell when something is bothering me(I am high functioning enough to use a slight amount of non-verbal communication without realizing it. Reading it, on the other hand, is very difficult for me) and are always there to help.

5. NTs can offer a different perspective on things: NTs see things differently than we do and this can be a good thing. When and Autistic person AND an NT get together to address a problem they can cover it from all angles.

6.an NT can act as an interpreter: My NT friends often explain to me some of the bizarre behaviors and statements from NTs I'm interacting with. I.e., He's just saying that, what he really means is...(seriously, I will never get used to the say one thing and mean another thing)

To make a long story short. I love my NT brothers and sisters, and I think the world would be a little less complete if they weren't there. Just like I think the world would be a little less complete without us. So please, make sure you hug an NT today.

now, why do the people at Autism Speaks have to be bastards? What did bastards ever do to you? Some of us on WP are bastards and don't take well to being compared with Autism Speaks.

So if you are concerned so much about NTs getting a fair go, why not bastards, too?

Merle

Chiron0224
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm

Lol.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 11:53 pm

I'm a bastard, too.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm

i always be with nt's during my school time but other then that my best friend has adhd :P

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 12:03 am

sgrannel wrote:
I'm a bastard, too.

see how it is? someone new comes in and starts bashing bastards! Sometimes people just disrespect and discriminate whole groups of people simply because their parents were married and they think everyone has the same prejudice as well.

TheMisfit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2009, 12:30 am

Did I smell overgeneralization?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 12:52 am

I am just answering the question that was stated in the poll.

I don't have many close NT friends. My 3 closest friends are all males on the spectrum.

I have a few female acquaintances...One of them might be a roommate soon....and she is a total ADHDer...hyperactive, Outgoing and social, and completely OBSESSED with the meanings of gemstones...and other sorta new-agey things.
She is very eccentric and interesting...with lots of quirks...so it might be nice to have her around...but I wouldn't call her NT.

There are a few people who might be considered friends..but I don't see them that often...who might be NT...albiet...sorta weird NT...

There are people who come around who I interact with because I have to...and some of them might be NT...but I am not bonded close enough to them to regard them as friends...not that I dislike them or anything...

Maybe I just have a narrow definition of "friend"

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 1:21 am

I have one really close one in Winnipeg, Manitoba, who I did meet in real life...and I am in the process of becoming friends with a male classmate who is an immigrant from El Salvador.Other than that, all of my NT classmates hang out in their little cliques, snub me, and keep me "out of the loop" over things.Today I printed off some documents in class...somebody printed the wrong ones so they grabbed mine from the printer...We have to pay ten cents a sheet to print by putting money into our school "iCards"....I had a dollars worth of documents stolen from me basically and was left with the thiefs originating wrong one.That person did not want to pay for their error so they took my papers and I ended up paying for it.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 1:39 am

I have a few of them but my closest ones are 2, Henrik and Tord-Haakon. I got hem around the 5th grade. I didn't have any good friends before that.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 6:01 am

I have never had these conceptions about NTs as a group that the original poster cites. I must say, my "NT" friends/acquaintances are not really like the stereotypical kind of NT, since they do have some undefined weirdness or a mental illness.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 8:20 am

TheMisfit wrote:
Did I smell overgeneralization?
and certain gnomelike qualities from under the bridge, too!

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 3:07 pm

I don't presently have any NT friends.

I have trouble trying to generalize them all to say something positive. I mean they run from child molestor to nobel prize winner. Its a very broad group to make generalizations about.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 3:40 pm

ChangelingGirl wrote:
I have never had these conceptions about NTs as a group that the original poster cites. I must say, my "NT" friends/acquaintances are not really like the stereotypical kind of NT, since they do have some undefined weirdness or a mental illness.

I always think there should be an 'NA' - 'Neuroatypical'. This would define people who do not have an ASD, but have other eccentricities or psychological issues, or simply are much more open-minded and accepting of differences than would be usual.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 4:11 pm

Most of my friends are either autistic or have special needs, but I do have a few friends that are NTs. However, for some reason I seem to make friends easier with people who aren't NTs.

SpongeBobRocksMao!