Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:58 pm

IQ score on standardised tests can be reduced by:

- sleep deprivation
- having a bad day
- not taking the test seriously
- having certain psychiatric co-morbids (side effects of anxiety, depression...)
- having a cold or whatever other sickness
- feeling bad (angry, annoyed, stressed)
- not wanting to do the test
- being overly worried about the IQ score/results
- if the language the test was administered in isn't someone's first language
- if someone has general problems with speech or language and takes a test in which they are required to use and understand language
- having a different intelligence than other people (because of autism...)
- having special skills that the test doesn't test for (musical genius, maths genius...)

I think I got a good number of the reasons covered.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

You missed out PMT and hormonal fluctuations after having a baby.

But I've got to ask the OP... how many times are you going to ask this question? Is this the fourth already?

You did your test when sleep deprived, in your second language. Of course you got a lower score.

Can't you let it go? Why not just wait until you have an opportunity to do a proper test in Greek, after you've had a decent nights sleep? And if you decide to do that, try not to obsess about the result before hand... stress and panic may also have an impact on how you do.

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2009, 11:50 pm

mgran wrote:
You missed out PMT and hormonal fluctuations after having a baby.

But I've got to ask the OP... how many times are you going to ask this question? Is this the fourth already?

You did your test when sleep deprived, in your second language. Of course you got a lower score.

Can't you let it go? Why not just wait until you have an opportunity to do a proper test in Greek, after you've had a decent nights sleep? And if you decide to do that, try not to obsess about the result before hand... stress and panic may also have an impact on how you do.

i did a ravens test-and we are not talking about just one day of sleep loss but many-in army you don't sleep generally well

Sora wrote:
IQ score on standardised tests can be reduced by:

- sleep deprivation
- having a bad day
- not taking the test seriously
- having certain psychiatric co-morbids (side effects of anxiety, depression...)
- having a cold or whatever other sickness
- feeling bad (angry, annoyed, stressed)
- not wanting to do the test
- being overly worried about the IQ score/results
- if the language the test was administered in isn't someone's first language
- if someone has general problems with speech or language and takes a test in which they are required to use and understand language
- having a different intelligence than other people (because of autism...)
- having special skills that the test doesn't test for (musical genius, maths genius...)

I think I got a good number of the reasons covered.

these are the main reasons i failed

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:35 am

Other influences are:

- practising with a similar test
- not a balanced test

But having not enough sleep is a problem in general, my performance on my job goes down when not having enough sleep. At some point you just have to take steps to get enough sleep!