Afraid of getting and not getting diagnosed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 4:10 am

Hello.
For those who have not followed my earlier posts my diagnosis of f84.8 (basically PDDNOS) was removed without reason (i really have no clue why it was removed). But anyway since i now officially don't have an autism spectrum disorder i thought i would get assessed for asd/aspergers/HFA (where i live we still use the icd-10 so all of the old diagnosis are still there).
But i am kind of afraid that if i get assessed and they say i dont have aspergers/asd i will be sad because then i will not fit in anywhere, and i would also be sad because then i would just be a NT that has many autistic features but not "enough" for a diagnosis. But i am afraid that if i get assessed and they actually do think i have aspergers/asd that i will be sad because then i will know that i will always be different, but happy because i would have an explanation for many things.
Also, where i go to therapy the person i talk to said she doesnt think i have it because i care how i say things (i just care about how i say things so i wont get into trouble for saying something that others think is offensive).
Oh and if i have aspergers/asd and i would get diagnosed i would be able to get longer time on tests (which i need) etc.
So should i get assessed? (At the least i am borderline autistic according to many people and online tests and myself)

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 5:19 am

Stop thinking about how you feel and just go with what you already know, void of any labels. If you need support/treatment (such as the extra time) get assessed. Do it. Otherwise, don't bother, there's no reason to.

I recommend a vicious 1 on 1 session with some vodka. :jester:

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 5:57 am

You could be given extra time on tests for anxiety, or whatever other label they give you, too.

It is hard having people throw labels at you that they change periodically.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 7:43 am

So long as you have the financial means to do so, getting assessed seems to be your best option.

If you need services, and you're able to get those services, don't turn down your chance. You'll regret it later.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 8:26 am

Don't see why not. You fit the criteria for PDD-NOS in the past so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't now. Don't see why they got rid of it anyway, are you sure about that? Did you find out any extra information about what happened? Sounds like bad practise to me. I could understand if you were reassessed and it was found you didn't fit the criteria that it was removed, but that wasn't what happened was it? Sounds like that needs investigating somehow.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 8:52 am

teksla wrote:
Hello.
For those who have not followed my earlier posts my diagnosis of f84.8 (basically PDDNOS) was removed without reason (i really have no clue why it was removed). But anyway since i now officially don't have an autism spectrum disorder i thought i would get assessed for asd/aspergers/HFA (where i live we still use the icd-10 so all of the old diagnosis are still there).
But i am kind of afraid that if i get assessed and they say i dont have aspergers/asd i will be sad because then i will not fit in anywhere, and i would also be sad because then i would just be a NT that has many autistic features but not "enough" for a diagnosis. But i am afraid that if i get assessed and they actually do think i have aspergers/asd that i will be sad because then i will know that i will always be different, but happy because i would have an explanation for many things.
Also, where i go to therapy the person i talk to said she doesnt think i have it because i care how i say things (i just care about how i say things so i wont get into trouble for saying something that others think is offensive).
Oh and if i have aspergers/asd and i would get diagnosed i would be able to get longer time on tests (which i need) etc.
So should i get assessed? (At the least i am borderline autistic according to many people and online tests and myself)

If it's been confirmed that you don't have an autism spectrum disorder then why do you want to get an assessment for high functioning autism? HFA and AS are both autism spectrum disorders.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 8:59 am

Rudin wrote:
teksla wrote:
Hello.

If it's been confirmed that you don't have an autism spectrum disorder then why do you want to get an assessment for high functioning autism? HFA and AS are both autism spectrum disorders.

It doesn't sound like it was confirmed. OP had the diagnosis for a while but their doctor randomly removed it from what I can tell. Correct me if I'm wrong though, teksla.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:04 am

If you can afford to get assessed, I would get it but not from the same doctor. I think that for your own peace of mind you need to know.

Wreck It Ralph

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

skibum wrote:
If you can afford to get assessed, I would get it but not from the same doctor. I think that for your own peace of mind you need to know.

You're back!! ! :D

I agree with what you are saying, though it sounds like that doctor left, so is not available in any case. Getting peace of mind over the diagnosis is important, though. It's hard to understand how a doctor would take such a major step as removing a diagnosis like that without properly discussing it with the patient.