List one NT thing you do not understand.

Page 26 of 65 [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 65  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The preferential treatment that my mum gives my sister, just because they both like the same stuff. Grrr!

because she can relate more to your sister; that's all.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:10 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
The preferential treatment that my mum gives my sister, just because they both like the same stuff. Grrr!

because she can relate more to your sister; that's all.

Bingo! You've hit the nail, right on the head. Perhaps, I could make an effort to put behind, her response to a loss of one of my idols, that she gave me, last Sunday. That response was just so typical of her, towards me. I know that my idols are old, and people don't last forever. I wanted the amount of empathy, and sympathy that I would have given her, if Sarah McLaughlin passed away. I would have apologized to her, and offered to take a week off work, to spend the week with her, at her upscale trailer, just comforting her.

Hello-Nurse7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2010, 7:05 am

Poppycocteau wrote:
Fashion and makeup and so forth annoy me to death. I don't understand the point of it at all . . . I think it's pathetic.

I feel the same way. I really hate the feel of make up on my face, and it just seems pointless. Not to mention most girls my age (14) don't even know how to apply it correctly...

Poppycocteau wrote:
I never understood why my parents would be angry with me for looking unhappy after I had been in trouble for something. They called it 'sulking' - I called it 'feeling unhappy at being snapped and snarled at for reasons I don't understand'. I was also expected to look happy about things, like going somewhere or having to do something, when I wasn't.

Again, I feel the same way. I'm also told I'm supposed to smile while talking to other people, which I don't understand. Why would I? For the most part, socializing doesn't make me too happy, especially with strangers. My mom says it offends the other person if you don't smile. So a straight face offends people? :?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

marshall wrote:
Moog wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
Also the idea:

"Smile even if you don't feel like it: you'll be happy if you do."

I've seen this presented in College Diaries and Depression Manuals.

I really don't understand this concept.

How is enforced smiling meant to help with practical issues?
Fake smiling doesn't make workloads less heavy or extend deadlines.
If anything, it's a sticking plaster covering the real problems.

I believe that smiling causes a bio-chemical effect as well as a purely physical one. When you smile things happen in the brain and body that can make you feel better.

Fake smiling doesn't have that effect on me. If someone wants me to smile they have to make me laugh.

I didn't say fake smiling. You can smile at will if you want to, genuinely and fully.

snaive
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2010, 9:15 am

I don't understand why men cant use nail laquer. :-D

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:43 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
I don't understand people spending hundreds of dollars on shoes?

I'm an Aspie with shoe obsession, so i can understand that totally :P

I'm banned from buying shoes by bf and parents...

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 10:04 am

melbi wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

I also have a shoe obsession, but it's a very Aspie version :lol: Before I got things under control I felt an urge to buy nearly every color of Converse. I think I had about 10 different pairs but I really only ever wore the black ones.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:14 am

Kiseki wrote:
melbi wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

I also have a shoe obsession, but it's a very Aspie version :lol: Before I got things under control I felt an urge to buy nearly every color of Converse. I think I had about 10 different pairs but I really only ever wore the black ones.

LOL I bought 3 black shoes in the past three days...one per day... I could have bought more but I tried my best to control myself LOL

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:17 am

melbi wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
melbi wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

LOL I bought 3 black shoes in the past three days...one per day... I could have bought more but I tried my best to control myself LOL

I haven't bought any shoes in a long time. I had to get rid of a lot when I moved and I realized I have a problem :(

But yours is bigger than mine! Haha!

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:32 am

God... only one thing, you say?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

Hello-Nurse7 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
I hate it when some NTs make fun of you and when you confront them about it, they say something like "it was just a joke" or "I was just kidding". I'm not talking about playful teasing, like the kind a friend would do. I'm talking about people using those phrases as a cover-up for bullying. My favorite reply is, "It's not a joke if the other person is crying instead of laughing."

Ugh, I hate that too. And then when you try to tell them that you didn't think it was funny or that it hurt your feelings, they get all defensive and tell you to "quit being a wimp" and "take a joke".

Yeah, or they say "It's just my type of humor. You should get used to it."

FoolioMoolio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2010, 5:19 pm

Seshat wrote:
Speaking of weird traditions like shaking hands, one thing I've never understood is the tradition of "blessing" someone when they sneeze. I understand where the tradition came from (medieval superstition about demons), but I don't get why people still do it. Why should there be an entire social interaction, an empty one at that, dedicated to the involuntary reflex action of expelling foreign objects from the nasal passages?
I just find the whole "bless you" meme to be really annoying, especially as someone with AS. What am I supposed to say, "thanks"? Because that's what I do say, but then it seems like people look at me funny for saying that. It's gotten to the point that I actually stifle sneezes when I'm in a group of people, just so I won't have to deal with the whole "bless you" awkwardness. Why can't I just sneeze in peace?!

Of course you could always go with the Seinfeld solution and say, "You're soooo good-lookin'!" :lol:

People say "bless you" when you sneeze because your heart just skipped a beat. I'm not sure how saying"bless you" is supposed to help, but I think that's why they do it.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:07 pm

Kiseki wrote:
melbi wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
melbi wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

I haven't bought any shoes in a long time. I had to get rid of a lot when I moved and I realized I have a problem :(

But yours is bigger than mine! Haha!

I haven't bought anything for a long time... I'm having holidays now in Taiwan, you know how Asia is an awesome place for shopping :P and i lost my old shoes on the bus (stupid story...), so I had an excuse to buy shoes... :lol:

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

I would have to say NT interactions confuse me most.

I used to be a selective mute (except when I was at home) because I simply couldn't interact with people the way they did with each other. It was like watching aliens...or maybe I felt like the alien and alienated myself.

Then, through years of observation and mimicking, and having no choice once my children started school, I became more confident and am able to interact with most people.

It still feels like a lot of hard work though, and it drains me, so going home is such a relief after being out and about. 8)

manifoldrob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm

I'd have to go with small talk, especially the "How are you?" as a greeting.

As a new year's resolution I tried to go a whole year without answering "How are you?" I only got to mid January.

I've developed a special technique for avoiding this question - the delayed hi. When you see someone try and get away with a nod or a wave, and if they say "How are you?" or "What's up?" say "Hi!" rather loudly. Short circuits the whole inane greeting dynamic.

This one guy always messes me up though, he says "Hi, Rob." and after about two seconds says a very sincere "How are you?"

"Fine." (dammit - there goes my resolution.)

In the past I've tried Kilgore Trout's "Ting-a-ling!" as a reply or from the Flaming Carrot Comic books "I am riddled with pathos and awash in unctuous despair, but otherwise OK." Sadly, these often invite further conversation, exactly what I was trying to avoid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

The fact that they're afraid to be different.