Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Earendil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2009, 12:35 am

Hey everyone. :) I'm Laura, I'm currently in college. I was diagnosed with AS a while ago. Today I came across this (the link was deleted, but the paper is called "Understanding 'Honest Signals' in Business" by Prof. Alex Pentland).

Quote:
Remember our other observer in the room — the sociometer. As it turns out, the sociometer was able to predict which business plans the executives would choose with nearly perfect accuracy. Both the sociometer and our executives (even though they didn't know it at the time) were busy measuring the social content of the presentations, quite apart from the spoken, informational part. And which channel of communication — social or spoken — informed more of their final decision? Yes, the social channel.

By looking at people's social, nonverbal signaling behaviors, these scientists were able to predict, with nearly perfect accuracy, the outcomes of deals, job interviews, salary negotiations, investment decisions, first dates, and much more. But I'm not very good at this sort of subtle social signaling stuff, so I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. I want to be a programmer, but who would hire me? I want to start a company, but who would invest in me? I want to get married, but who would date me? All of these things, apparently, depend entirely on how good you are at subtle, little, unspoken social games and rules and on virtually nothing else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 7:39 am

Welcome to WP!

brittany89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2009, 7:55 am

Hi Laura, I'm a Junior in college right now, Mathematics major. I had some of the same concerns, but it's really not so bad. A lot of people in college and working adults are more understanding of any shyness/awkwardnss/whatever than high school kids. I would just relax and not think of your situation as a handicap. You'll be fine.

(And I would invest in your company :P )

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 9:54 am

If you want to work with computer, you don't need to be social :P
Actually at work I have the "baby sitters" (I call secretaries that way...) of my boss looking that I don't do anything too strange, badly I can do 10 men work on a computer, so me + 2 baby sitters > 10 men :P

By the way the important step are the first 10-20 minute when you'll recive an interview, you can read some book about body language and the like and exercise (like a theater), you don't need to do it like other people, try to do it consciously and keep an open but decise body language.