Do you think your OWN avatar... (spinoff)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 6:55 pm

...affects the way you post?

I use different avatars now and then, all of which are comedians and actors (so far anyway). I think I'm beginning to notice I might have a tendency to begin almost acting like the character or real person I'm using once I've had it up for a while.

Anyone else ever notice themselves acting like their avatar? Ever notice how you post changing when you change your avatar?

I'm thinking it happens with me because of the same tendency to mimic others around me in the real world.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 8:01 pm

my current avatar makes me feel like singing. The image makes a sort of sublime impression on me. I'm sure that effects my disposition.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 8:24 pm

I try to pick avatars that reflect the way I feel about something or feel reflects me. I WANT to be a meerkat (which are a kind of moongoose).

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Aug 2010, 8:33 pm

I hadn't thought about that, but yes, I do think it has some bearing on how I post!

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm

Nope. Unfortunately. ;)

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 12:17 am

Rarely, it wouldn't be funny to post "I just want my phone call" if it weren't for my avatar. I've done that twice now I think and I've also referenced the line about being "ahead of the curve". However I think that's more because of my love for these lines and the character itself than my avatar wearing off on me.

Why so serious? :twisted:

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:08 am

I hated choosing my avatar, I don't like the idea of something representing myself, like a tattoo...I don't like those either.

It may be because I don't know what I like, since I spent most my life not being in touch with myself.

It's been great though since I quit my job.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:26 am

I'm just me, Taupey!

It would be good practice for developing characters and dialogue between characters.

I know of someone who does just that here and on other Internet forums too. He has well over a hundred characters... I haven't finished counting them all yet.

Unfortunately, not all of his characters are kind and good. But some of them are lovable and very well liked (especially by some of his other characters) and have been false members here for years.

He also likes to take personal information from other people's lives and twists, bends, adds and subtracts a bit of it here and there and uses it to create posts and comments.

The part that bothers me, he doesn't ask if he can use that personal information. Infact he has not once even asked if he could gain access to my BlackBerry phone and invade my privacy.

He acts like he is entitiled and writes and posts alot of my private life which he alters in negative ways most of the time, it's beyond insulting and upsetting.

I paid a fee and terminated my phone contract early and had it turned off because of him.

He often uses his other characters to support what his other characters say in a posts so it looks like he has a lot of people supporting and agreeing with him, but it's only him using his other characters.

I have seen him manipulate some other members here by using a number of his characters to comment in posts.

This is the down side to being able to create multiple characters and pretending to be someone one your not.

He'll be upset when he reads this... but I don't care it's the truth.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 2:48 am

Kind of, and I agree with your other thread too.

I definitely analyze members by their avatars and take in every detail of it. I am this way with everything, I take in all the details but still try not to make any unfair judgments. I don't make unfair judgments most of the time but sometimes it still happens without my knowledge.

I actually don't feel that different or act differently based on my own avatars, though. I'm aware that other people might see me differently but I have a hard time connecting to exactly what they might think so I just go on acting the way that I always do, I don't really fully associate with any of my avatars so it's really all the same.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2010, 6:30 am

I do own my avatar---it is a picture of me when I was a child. I have used two avatars on the WP so far---both were of childhood pictures of me. Why use childhood pictures to represent an adult me? When I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's in 2008, I felt like I had a new lease on life/ a new discovery of something that had always been me/ a fresh start/ a rebirth, etc. I was like a child in a way in that I was learning so much about myself. That was when I adopted the motto, "My journey has just begun."

I used my first avatar from November of 2008 to when I quit posting in February of 2010. It was a picture of me in 1974. 1974 was a magical kind of year for me. That year my family took me to Myrtle Beach two times (Easter break and Summer). I got to ride my favorite roller coaster, the Swamp Fox, at the Grand Strand Amusement Park several times. Even at that young age I was displaying OCD traits along with my AS. I always insisted upon securing things like swim suits and beach towels to the chairs on the motel balcony. While others just placed their items across a chair or table to dry, I had a method of security for them. And one evening a storm struck that blew away people's stuff from our motel---but not mine. Mine were safe and secure on the balcony. Something I have also always seemed to do is to excessively check motel rooms for any items left behind when we are ready to check out.

My second avatar, my current one, I put on here when I returned to post in August of 2010. It was taken of me during the summer of 1972. That was also a special year. I began my special intense interest of roller coasters. And, I had started playing the organ---and I still play the organ.