How many of you are over-sensitive to noise ?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you over-sensitive to noise ?
Yes 94%  94%  [ 120 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 127

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 11:11 am

And how do you manage it ? Lot of people with AS are over-sensitive or non-sensitive to temperature, noise, etc. said my doctor.
I'm over-sensitive to noise, especially when lot of people are speaking at once. I'm else and non-sensitive to cold, but it's no big deal.
How do you manage not getting mad in situations of big noise ? I want some helpful advice, it could help me.
Thank you for giving a nice answer, if you have an idea.

Last edited by DarthMaxeuis on 27 Nov 2008, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 11:30 am

I have a little pouch hooked onto my keychain. I keep earplugs in it.
I normally need to wear them when in a noisy environment (walking alongside traffic, malls, waiting rooms). Once I started wearing them, my moods actually stabled out some because it cut down on the sensory overload.

These are the ones I use:
Heartech

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 11:33 am

I am, but mildly so, and only to certain noises- high-pitched, repetitive, or many people talking at once. I could never cope with breaks at school- all those people, all that noise. I would just go outside and have a cigarette (no longer a smoker though). of course, that was high school :wink: before that I would go to the library or sit in some faraway corner where noise was more bearable.

for some reason though I like most street noise coming from outside the window, it has a soothing quality, maybe apart from loudmouths passing by my house. not to mention football hooligans.

my only advice for coping with the outside noise would be- wear headphones, listen to music/audiobooks. I haven't found a better solution so far.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 11:34 am

When you know it's going to be noisy, bring ear plugs. Or maybe carry some around just in case. I suppose you can also use a music source (ipod, cell phone, whatever) with headphones so at least it's noise you like.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 11:40 am

zghost wrote:
When you know it's going to be noisy, bring ear plugs. Or maybe carry some around just in case. I suppose you can also use a music source (ipod, cell phone, whatever) with headphones so at least it's noise you like.

Yeah, sure, I do this, but it's hard to listen to your Ipod when you are in class ^_^.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2008, 11:41 am

anna-banana wrote:
I am, but mildly so, and only to certain noises- high-pitched, repetitive, or many people talking at once. I could never cope with breaks at school- all those people, all that noise. I would just go outside and have a cigarette (no longer a smoker though). of course, that was high school :wink: before that I would go to the library or sit in some faraway corner where noise was more bearable.

for some reason though I like most street noise coming from outside the window, it has a soothing quality, maybe apart from loudmouths passing by my house. not to mention football hooligans.

my only advice for coping with the outside noise would be- wear headphones, listen to music/audiobooks. I haven't found a better solution so far.

Yeah, for me, it is only loud and continuous chatting that causes me terrible headaches. Not outside noises, except riots or such things.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 11:44 am

I'm never without my ear plugs handy.

One of my passions is music but its music done on acoustic instruments, mostly stringed instruments.
I don't have perfect pitch and notes don't all have to relate to each other even tempered for me to enjoy the music,
but I expect all the instruments to be played in harmony to each other's temperament.

If I'm at a concert and people start clapping their hands in what they think is in time to the music my ears start to hurt so much that I fear they'll start to bleed.

I have trouble understanding what people are saying if there's too much ambient noise.

I'm also highly sensitive to cold, the touch of my clothing, the visual appearance of my environment, light, and smells.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 11:47 am

I do not like loud noises. Hate the sound of TV. Love silence. Was a music performance major, classical violin and piano. Dropped out partially because while in orchestra that loudness of the drums was too much to handle. Nobody understood at the time and thought I was crazy. Everybody's always thought that about me anyway :lol:

Have many unusual experiences with hearing. So much so that I have considered going into Hearing Research as a profession.

Collect Requiems and Mantras / Kirtans and listen to them a lot. So soothing and heavenly and inspiring. Realized after 28 years of rocking out to mantras that it is part of my Aspieness to love repetition. Chanting = bliss of repetition of holy sounds.

iPod on Bose speakers, what more can one ask for? ThanksGiving!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 11:57 am

only in crowded places. if its quiet not really. im more of an ontime snob, everything must be ontime!

Since
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 12:12 pm

I think I startle to loud and sudden noises (eg popping balloons) more than other people but other than that.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 12:20 pm

Should mention, have noise-reduction ear headgear and earplugs. Use these frequently.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2008, 12:35 pm

I tend to react very badly to sudden noises, so I wear headphones and listen to my walkman when I'm out. Unforunately my dad gets angry when I out them on going out with him, so I have to just deal with. (Ironically it also annoys him when I scream and jump at the noises, talk about a no win situation, still since we've begun to suspect I have AS he's got better)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 12:41 pm

have classic autism and have got severe sensory problems including sound/noise-as well as profound hyperacusis and not too bad tinitus,am housebound by noise most days but also suffer from noise due to having to be indoors-with other residents banging radiators,slamming doors and shouting day and night.
the hyperacusis became worse due to previous living situation.

am recommend wearing earplugs [try one like laser lites] and a pair of ear defenders [not head phones ,as they let in sound and dont have enough pressure on the ears] over the top,but make sure not to use them all the time long term as it makes the sensitivity worse,can cause tinitus and headaches.
ear defenders can be got from places such as B & Q,builders shops,ebay etc.
am also recommend seeing a developmental audiologist first [they understand the noise problems with asds],as they can help with finding the right ways to cope,and the right aids for self,DAs are at major hospitals,eg,they have got one at hope hospital and MRI here but that isnt much use if are not in/around manchester.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 12:53 pm

For me, a big part of it is auditory processing. I can't separate things and make sense of it all.
(A party with the TV going on one end of the room, the sterio blasting on the other and three unrelated conversations.) I just zone out.

Another issue is background music, like in a store. I can't tune it out. Good music distracts me from wherever my mind is supposed to be. Bad music drives me crazy. In my current hell-hole, I spent my first day on the job literally crying. Fortunately, no one noticed. I think I'm slowly adjusting.

I've never tried headphones, but I can't see how that would work. Drowning out little noises with an even bigger noise -- the cure would be worse than the disease.

I know I couldn't handle earplugs. I need to know what's going on.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 1:04 pm

One thing I do, is try to avoid all other sources of overstimulation.

Like, if I'm visually overstimulated already, then noise will be more overstimulating too.

The more chaotic the environment, the worse overstimulation gets.

I also might wear sound-blocking headphones, you can get them in sporting goods stores because people who use guns use them. (I like them better than earplugs, unless the earplugs are custom-molded to my ear.) But they can get uncomfortable, and sometimes the problem is not the loudness, but the kind of noise, too.

To3To3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 1:27 pm

Try not to pay attention or hide somewhere. I also hide my head under blankets, hoods, etc...