Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PatrickG
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2009, 1:07 pm

I do want to emphasize that I am in no way a clinical physician.

However, as someone diagnosed on the autistic spectrum with prior diagnoses that included bipolar (probably in relation to meltdowns), ADD sans hyperactivity (probably in relation to selected interest) and social anxiety (likely a result of communication difficulties, I have tried a number of courses of medication pertaining to comorbid dysfunctions which are almost certainly related to autism. Most of which involved the use of whatever SSRI was popular at the time.

What interested me recently were articles I read on the chemistry of love and attachment, which seem to be characterized by low seratonin levels and high oxytocin levels. This has me wondering if, in fact, depression and anxiety as experienced on the autistic spectrum are necessarily the result of a seratonin deficit or whether increased levels of seratonin are the preferred result for people on the spectrum.

My personal experience with SSRIs is a general state of wellbeing, not terribly marked aside from the initial physical sensations and side effects. In general, my social skills seem to deteriorate rather than improve when under the effects of SSRIs. I find myself irritable (negative quality), more assertive and, if anything, less equipped for social intimacy aside from some of the jitters of social interaction being pushed aside... along with the desire for social interaction. If anything, it almost feels as though I'm on a social appetite suppressant rather than experiencing improved social functionality. Furthermore, I've quit just about every SSRI cold turkey without any withdrawal or negative side effects I've seen reported or heard others describe when they quite the same SSRIs.

This has me pondering if, perhaps, my seratonin levels are chemically neurotypical but whether it is, in fact, diminished oxytocin production which creates the anxiety and social difficulties. That isn't to say that SSRIs are necessarily without benefit but, as a solution, it seems almost like putting three good tires on a car because one of them is flat rather than addressing the issue of the flat tire directly. Now, perhaps my seratonin levels DO fluctuate but not as part of an inability to produce the neurotransmitter but simply because my production of the neurotransmitter goes down when I am reasonably depressed or socially anxious and the root cause for the anxiety or the social disconnect would come in the form of the oxytocin deficiency.

I'm not out for a cure per se and am largely comfortable with who I am. But I do feel I have impaired functionality in a number of jobs and situations and would like to correct those deficits. If a part of the cause is chemical then a chemical solution seems reasonable.

In particular, I find the results interesting in cases where aspies and auties were either subjected to electromagnetic stimulation (not shock therapy but adjustment of brain activity) or oxytocin (injected or inhaled) as these seem to have resulted in heightened capability for neurotypical thought without eliminating our unique autistic abilities, sensibilities and talents.

Does anyone know of research in this field? It strikes me that SSRIs may treat some symptoms of spectrum-related issues, potentially worsen others and, overall, be an incomplete and highly imperfect method of treatment for autistic social anxiety, which may be distinct in terms of both causes and manifestations from neurotypical social anxiety. Perhaps even to the point where SSRIs might be ill-advised as treatment for people on the spectrum compared with treatments which might theoretically target or bolster other neurotransmitters instead such as oxytocin.

I don't want to stop being an Aspie. But if my capabilities could expand to include a full range of neurotypical qualities while retaining Aspie qualities, that strikes me as a marked improvement... And I also believe there's some indication of the electromagnetic stimulation being used on NTs to imbue them with Aspie traits or thinking patterns. The experiment only projected temporary results (ie. for the duration of the stimulation) but the anecdotal reports of people in the program was that they noticed that they retained what they perceived to be an enhanced analytical and information-based state of thinking for weeks following the procedure.

I recognize there are some ethical qualms that some would have with this but I think a world where a person could choose to have the best of both autistic and neurotypical brain function would be a better world, I daresay an ideal one. That may be farfetched but the idea is one I find encouraging and worth hoping for.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 2:53 pm

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that SSRI's treat conditions distinct from AS. But the question of whether they are the appropriate therapy (as opposed to, say, MAOI's) is not an area that I have any experience with.

I do think it's a valuable discussion to have with a psychiatrist. If variation in your medication approach can provide you with marked improvement in your daily life, then that is precisely what the meds should be doing.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 5:20 pm

I took SSRIs for a while several years ago and all they did was cloud my thinking badly. I guess one could assume I felt less anxious, but actually it was more like anxiety in slow motion. It was still there, it just had to gum it's way through the gears to get to where I saw it.

I would never consider taking it again.