Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2009, 2:37 am

I read a comment by an expert on some site talking about neurological growth and development mitigating clinical symptoms of AS and etc. Is it possible for the body itself to fix things that go wrong? Can the brain develop certain areas in order to cope with or even to eliminate problems completely?

I know that the "we're not getting better, we're all just really good actors" theory is popular but what do people think about this approach?

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 4:24 am

I.. think it's the same approach? D:
Becoming a really good actor IS neurological mitigation, isn't it? When we decide to try and fit in, and then practice doing it, that's our brain attempting to correct its flaws. We are our brains~

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2009, 7:04 am

No, but I'm not sure i worded my question right. When you act, you're still consciously acting, youve decided to. After a while it may become second nature but you still have to think about it now and then. Lets say someone with a mild case shows a certain symptom then stops doing it over time even though they havent tried to change it or have had very little practice. Eh thats the best i can explain it.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 9:01 am

I get what you're trying to say, athough, I think that they think people learning to act is sometimes unconsious change as we don't say 'I'm acting now' when we learn how.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 10:33 am

Part of me is skeptical that a neurophysiological remedy is going to be effective, except in infants.

We grow up and learn with the neurological anatomy that we are born with. The neural pathways are laid out through our experiences. In my case, it might be that typical pathways don't exist, so I adapt to process stimulus differently. (e.g. I don't recognize that facial expression, so instead I use cognition and analysis to identify it)

If, later in life, those missing pathways were restored, I would have grown up without them, I would never have used them and I would still have to learn them. That being said, it might be that it would be easier to learn them than to rely on the learned coping skills that I have.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2009, 2:50 pm

I've always been the way I am, but I've learnt things I've had to learn that I was capable of learning, and I've found ways around other things that I had to learn but wasn't capable or learning. Being high-functioning means I don't get boxed in by other people telling me what I can and cannot do, and it also means I don't get any assistance learning things I might be able to do with a little help. People I know who have an obvious need for help with daily life have the situation reversed.

In human society brains are often outnumbered, never outdone. It is harder to learn new skills or languages when you're an adult, but the brain learns every day whether you want it do or not.

Aww, I was going to put an exciting emoticon here, I've been craving one for days, but now they won't pop up again. :( Picture a good one in your mind. :D

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2009, 2:55 pm

:sunny: