Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2006, 2:50 pm

Hey, guys. I am starting to feel a little bit insecure with how my life is going to go. Right now, I go to college, hopefully so I can find and keep a decent-paying job. I do not want to be homeless or stuck in poverty. However, I have read quite a decent amount of posts about how lots of aspies end up unemployed and then further down the road homeless, regardless of how much education they obtain.

My mom and my social worker think I will turn out just fine, because I do have okay social skills. I am able to initiate conversations sometimes, and when I work at my part-time job, I only have a little bit of trouble with a customer once in a blue moon.

Should I worry too much about how my life is going to turn out, or will everything turn out fine for me? I'm really worried. :(

North
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2006, 4:10 pm

I'm in a similar position as you- I go to college, have passable social skills, and do alright in my part-time job. I also worry about my future from time to time. But the way I see it, what does worrying really accomplish? Remind yourself that you are in control of your decisions and your destiny and it's your job to take charge and make sure you keep things on the right track.

LowShoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2006, 7:47 am

North wrote:
.... Remind yourself that you are in control of your decisions and your destiny and it's your job to take charge and make sure you keep things on the right track.

Agreed... How a person handles vicissitudes, snap changes that really screw one's living pattern/continuity, can make all the difference. Maintaining a positive mental attitude (and/or getting help if this is not very practicable) will enable one to deal better with the effects of boogers like fear, depression and intertia. In the least, it can help you not to make any existing problems worse (I've done that often enough in 30-odd years!). And of course, using substances to cope emotionally is counterproductive. In any event, avoid becoming your own worst enemy.

Maintaining a support network, even as simple as knowing one or two people with whom you could stay if things got really bad, is a worthwhile goal.

And the 'stock' advice given to students applies too... things like getting practical work experience while in school (the more the better), and keeping your skills diverse and salable enough to switch jobs if needed.