Last nights After hours meeting for people on the spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 10:19 am

To the people who read my last post about the meeting I was attending last night.
It was for people on the spectrum, specifically for individuals with: HFA, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS.

I was a bit nervous when I first arrived but the nervousness quickly turned to joy after I realized that I fit in. I could be myself and not get looked at oddly. Some people talked with me or inquired about my Rubik's cube. I played pool for most of the time with another autistic named Ken, as well as the person who gave him a ride there. After that, I played some Halo 3: ODST and watched some other people play Monopoly.

All and all, it was a really fun three hours. I felt like I fit in and got along well with everyone I met. :D

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:31 am

I am so glad to hear that.

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:40 am

Great, sounds like you had fun! 8)

www.zomgreloaded.com

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:16 pm

Awesome! :D

I didn't feel like I "fit right in" with the HFAs, especially with the guys who are all into video games. I'm not against video games, but my knowldege of them is no less than mediocre. It's better than with neurotypicals, anyway.

I found that I fit in perfectly with most girls with AS. With guys, not so much, but still better than with HFAs.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:19 pm

MathGirl wrote:

I didn't feel like I "fit right in" with the HFAs, especially with the guys who are all into video games. I'm not against video games, but my knowldege of them is no less than mediocre. It's better than with neurotypicals, anyway.

I found that I fit in perfectly with most girls with AS. With guys, not so much, but still better than with HFAs.

I wish I could have come to this.

I love video games intensely and it is one of those few things I can really relate to other people on.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:01 pm

Whereabouts in Michigan is this?

Edit: Nevermind, I read the other thread. It's way on the other side of the state :cry:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:33 pm

Aurore wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

I wish I could have come to this.
I love video games intensely and it is one of those few things I can really relate to other people on.
Heh, I'd be a video game freak by now as well if I didn't have superstrict Eastern European parents. :x

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 6:26 pm

Thanks for sharing such a positive message.

I'm glad that worked out well for you.

:D

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 8:59 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Whereabouts in Michigan is this?

Edit: Nevermind, I read the other thread. It's way on the other side of the state :cry:

I'm sorry. :cry: The next meeting is January 18th, the third Monday. It's located at Oakland University. Try and make it there. :D

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 9:04 pm

I appreciate everyone who responded!! :) I want January 18th to be here already!! :lol:

Oh, and another thing, I'll keep as many people in the loop as possible about my journey for a diagnosis. Hopefully, the psychologist will take my insurance and we'll be able to set up an appointment rather quickly, but as I said, I can only hope. :D

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:51 pm

That sounds fun! :D

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2009, 11:54 pm

I'm glad you found a group where you fit in -- that's a great thing!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 4:14 pm

theLilAsimov wrote:
I'm sorry. :cry: The next meeting is January 18th, the third Monday. It's located at Oakland University. Try and make it there. :D

I'm in Muskegon though, that's like a four hour drive =/

theLilAsimov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2009, 5:30 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
theLilAsimov wrote:

I'm in Muskegon though, that's like a four hour drive =/

I'm sorry. :? Oh, and the head of the group said they moved the meeting to January 11th.