WTB:Teaching materials like "wh questions,"DVDs&qu

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Ashi74
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2009, 5:58 pm

Hi, My son was denied again for specialized services, even though they accept him as needing a lot of help,they think he's getting enough support at school, I have decided to set up something at home and I am looking for some things to help him learn some concepts , I am looking to buy:

Pirate Talk®

Turtle Talk®

"WH" Chipper Chat®

Auditory Memory for Details in Sentences Fun Deck

"The deciders" take on concepts

The emotions game by linguisystems or photo emotions cards.

Model me kids DVDs

Watch me learn DVDs

Linguisystems cards and materials

magnetalk materials

Anything you think would be beneficial for an ABA type setting or things from linguisystems,diff learn,nlconcepts or superduper, that you don't need any more,please pm me,thanks a lot.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:15 pm

You haven't told us what you're trying to teach your child--what is he weak on; what is he good at; what does he need to learn? Some of us might've had to learn the same things, and we could tell you what helped us; but right now all I've got is a list of random teaching tools that for all I know might be a dream come true for teaching one kid but torture for another kid. (For that matter, ABA itself, practiced in some ways, can be torture for some kids. I personally think it is only effective in teaching specific skills that can be memorized and learned by rote--doesn't do much for actually teaching self-expression, nor increasing flexibility. Works for teaching you to dress yourself; not so much for teaching you to have a conversation with your teacher about your last term paper. I'd seriously think about branching out from that approach, if I were you; teaching by reinforcement and repetition can only go so far.)

Anyway, yeah. Need more info here. Autism isn't some big monolithic thing, as you know; if you've met one kid with autism, you've met... one kid with autism. :lol:

BTW, you should totally get together with other parents in your area. If your kid needs services he isn't getting, you don't take the school's word as final, especially because--as many of us can attest--trying to go to school without the assistance/accommodation you need can be a living hell. (Of course, being smothered with too much assistance, or put in therapy for too long, can be equally harmful. Golden mean, natch.) Other parents know what your school system is like, and can tell you who to talk to, who tends to be sympathetic and who just wants those "sped kids" out of their school system asap. Ignore the ones who are into biomed quackery or pity-me sob stories; you'll meet 'em anywhere and they're unfortunately unavoidable, but they don't respond to logical argument. But if anybody can tell you how to get your kid the education he deserves, it's other parents who've tangled with the same school system.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com