do people with Asperger Syndrome have Imaginary Friends?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 12:29 am

By imaginary friends, do you mean someone imaginary, or do you mean we think that someone real is our friend but it turns out that person isn't?

Growing up, I had an imaginary friend (the kind that didn't actually exist). Don't remember anything about him, though.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 3:39 am

I have one.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 9:30 am

I've never had any.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2009, 9:45 am

When I was little, I "befriended" the left pedal on my tricycle and told my family his name was Andy. (Weird, I know.) I used to think of many of the things around me as being somewhat alive (kind of like animists do) and used to wonder how one shirt felt when I chose another to wear, if the doorknobs preferred to be touched by my left or my right hand, what it felt like for food to be swallowed, etc.

INTJ.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:16 am

Not friends. I make imaginary aquaintence people to oppinionate with nearly all the time for a variety of emotional reasons.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:43 am

Pretend pals topic

I would have conversations with me and myself inside my head, but no fiend who would walk beside me that I could "see".

I pretended I had a boyfriend when was 15, and cut out the picture of some boy in a magazine to "prove" it. Someone recognized the face and did I feel silly. I did not think anyone would notice. I just wanted the other teens to stop talking about it and leave me alone. :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:53 am

I don't think I ever had an imagainary friend although I imagined many things before (like cars)

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 3:59 pm

I have an imaginary friend by the name of Jack I talk to very occasionally. He's a tall black jamaican who's very NTish. No idea why I created the persona when I was much younger, but then again, I also see my mind split quite often. Would not surprise me if he was simply another one of the splits.

He's useful, so I keep him around. Entertaining as well.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Resplendence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2009, 7:47 pm

Well it is a bit different than having an imaginary friend but I sort of created different personalities for myself to help me in different situations. I currently have 4 personalities all with their own names, interests and genders. I believe that it is a bit different than having a split personality disorder because I have complete control over all of them and I knowingly created them although it doesn't make me feel any less mental >,<. Has anyone else here created other personalities for themselves to help draw out certain strengths? I have one personality I use to think, another to communicate and another to do more strenuous activities.

When I was younger I used to make up friends but I knew they didn't exist and even now sometimes I feel the need to make up a person. I would head out for several hours and sit alone crying and when I got home I would tell my mom that I was hanging out with friends. I have done the same thing a few times this year but have gone out for a couple days finding a comfortable sheltered place to stay, take a few pictures of people outside(which I show to my family) and head home when I was either starving or freezing. It sounds pathetic but I don't like it when my mom worries and if she knew that I feel borderline suicidal when make friends only to later lose them due to my differences or because I can't deal with or understand how crazy NTs can be sometimes it would hurt her quite a bit. I feel so different when I talk with people and I can't seem to find much in common with people my age no matter how hard I try. I am now in a predicament where my family wants to meet my friends and I have no idea what to do. Does anyone know if a prostitute would be against pretending to be a platonic friend for an evening lmao?

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 11:23 pm

I did, had one up until 6 or 7 years old (Sparky the royal/purle dragon). And yes, i was the one with the active imagination in my family (to the point that i scared myself sh17less about the monsters out to get me at night). It was to the point that i was scared of going to the bathroom at night because i was afraid of the Velociraptors jumping out at me (was after Jurassic Park came out). :?

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2009, 11:28 am

Do Internet friends count? You've never met them, probably never will, you can't see them, no one else can and they don't go places or do stuff with you.

TomBarclay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2021, 4:50 pm

From a early age 5 or so I had one. I do still when life gets really rough my huge friend will come and help me or just be there for me. His name is Dinky Doo.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 5:57 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:29 pm

I lived in imaginary paracosms (entire dreamworlds). I had the role of being a fictitious character instead of my regular self. It was a type of trauma-dissociation because I imagined myself being someone else living in a different time and place, but I had imaginary relationships with real people like Elton John and Ozzy Osbourne.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

I had an imaginary friend as a kid who was unfortunately a bad influence. He was very condescending, and would sometimes embarrass me in front of family and friends. I ditched him after I turned 13.

As a teenager and an adult, I had "friendships" with fictional characters, mostly male. I ditched them all after I got married, but after my divorce, I reconciled with all of them.

My new "boyfriend" is a sweet, romantic man. He would always be there for me, and is a rock star who has the coolest pets (his favorite is a badger). when I told him about my ex, he was outraged, and promised to protect me and do all the things my ex never did. We have been together for a year and a half now.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 7:22 pm

I had some imaginary friends when I was a kid.

I have two cats, a rabbit, and a dog. I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.