Household tips for the independent Aspie

Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 6:04 pm

Thought this might make a good sticky. Everyone share good advice you have picked up.

Here's two-

Tip 1- If you want your laundry to dry quicker especially if you have to pay at a laundrymatte, then shake each item out before putting it in the dryer. That means don't just throw a waded up wet tangled mess of sweater and jeans, etc in the dryer. Pull each item out of washing machine separately, shake it out so its not a balled up, wrinkled mess then put in dryer. Also is good item to shake out each washcloth and sock for maximum drying efficiency.

*I notice many young NT's do not know this either as I observe people in the laundryroom just throw the wet wad of clothes in dryer and run.

Tip 2- To bake foods quicker in the oven, wrap the food, such as a potato, with the shiny side of the aluminum foil touching the food. The reason for that is the shiny side reflects heat. So if you wrap shiny side out, it reflects the heat back into the oven, but if you wrap shiny side in then it reflects the heat into the food.

Tip 3 - If you like to bake or roast large pieces of beef or poultry use those Reynolds oven bags. It makes for easy cleanup as long as you are careful how you open the bag. It will hold all the juices and grease so you can toss it away without having a messy pan to scrub later. ** Look for sales on oven bags in November - December and hoarde them away because they are a bit pricey. But they have good sales on them around Thanksgiving/Christmas time.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Sep 2007, 6:07 pm

tip numero uno, never sign a year lease with your mom :lol:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

08 Sep 2007, 6:08 pm

Ticker wrote:
Tip 1- If you want your laundry to dry quicker .

Line drying would be cheap and Earth friendly.

I made a thread on froggle living that died a quick death. I think you have more work ethic than me so I hope you keep this thread going. :)

richardbenson wrote:

That applies to leases with any other people in general to.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Sep 2007, 6:11 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

That applies to leases with any other people in general to.
you better listen to a man who knows what hes saying!!

MerryBerry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2007, 6:17 pm

Nice one, Ticker, I love tips threads :)

Line the base of your grill-pan with foil if you're grilling anything greasy, like bacon. You can then throw it away and not have to wash the pan.

To pick up pet hairs from cushions and fabrics, wear damp rubber gloves and rub the fabric. The hairs stick to them and can be just rinsed under the tap.

To keep flowers fresh, cut half an inch off the bottom of the stems every couple of days.

If you're broke, go to the supermarket half an hour before closing. They sell of perishables like bread and cakes very cheaply then.

Last edited by MerryBerry on 08 Sep 2007, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Sep 2007, 6:21 pm

if your a single guy like me, with no responsibilites like kids or a serious gf, i'd look into seeing the country. backpacking and such. its really a shame hitchiking is so taboo in america because its such a inexpencive way to travel. i plan on seeing more of the west when my lease is up and ive kindof already decided that where ever i run out of money, (hopefully colorado) :lol: thats where i'll live for awile.

thankfully colorado is just like the next state over so it wont cost too much to get a bus ticket for.

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2007, 6:33 pm

Food and shopping tip:
Protein is expensive.
When money is tight remember eggs are very high in protein. They’re cheap and very versatile. If you’re up make soufflé, if you’re depressed eat them hard cooked (very portable to).
Also, most big supermarkets (particularly out west; Albertson’ and Safeway) don’t keep ground beef (the meat they grind) over 24 hours, so every morning they sell off all yesterday’s hamburger at a very low price. You have to be there first thing, but it’s usually half price.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 6:47 pm

Love this thread!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:39 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Ticker wrote:
Tip 1- If you want your laundry to dry quicker .

Line drying would be cheap and Earth friendly.

Except apartment dwellers usually aren't allowed to line dry. Also line drying is out for people with pollen allergies or those that live in humid or rainy areas.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:41 pm

Greentea wrote:
Love this thread!

^ What she said, said it perfect! More tips More tips haha!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:44 pm

Tip 4- If you have a metal zipper get stuck you can rub a dry bar of soap on the metal zipper teeth thingies and it will somehow make the zipper unstick. My mom taught me this. I don't know where she learned it, but I have demonstrated it to others who were quite impressed.

I need a tip on how to remove melted on candlewax from a steel menorah? That stupid spray you are suppose to spray on it before using the candles smells funny and is flammable. There must be a easier and safer way!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:48 pm

Yeah, line drying isn't optimal everywhere. Except in monsoon season, I hang dry stuff inside, like in the bathroom or the empty part of a closet. Not everything but some stuff. it helps humidify and freshen the apt, while saving on electricity. It's less wear on the clothes too.

Eggs: pancakes are really good for autistics. I mean as long as you aren't on the GF/CF diet. My son is a vegetarian and has eaten pancakes forever. I'll make them for dinner. When he was young, I'd give him half the batch and then freeze the rest in individual baggies to reheat later. I add wheat germ to them which sweetens them up and adds fiber, vitamin E and other stuff.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:55 pm

Ticker wrote:
I need a tip on how to remove melted on candle wax from a steel menorah? That stupid spray you are suppose to spray on it before using the candles smells funny and is flammable. There must be a easier and safer way!

First, put the menorah in the freezer, assuming it can fit there. (This is not a joke.) Keep it there for about ten minutes or so. This will harden the wax and make it less sticky. Using a hard plastic knife, scrape off as many large pieces of wax as you can. If there's anything left, use Goo-Gone to clean off any remaining wax. Goo-Gone is designed to dissolve greasy and/or sticky substances, while leaving the surface unaffected. Finally, clean the menorah with dish soap and water.

Read about Goo-Gone here: http://www.magicamerican.com/products_gg.aspx

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2007, 8:26 pm

Food tip:
It used to be that supermarket house brands (aka generic items) were less expensive and almost always not as good as name brands. Not true any more, the house brands are almost always as good or better than name brands; and they’re always less expensive. You might have to try different stores and products until you find a favorite but it will be worth it. For example Publix Market chocolate chip cookies are the best!!...I don't feel so guilty spending money on treats if I get a good deal.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 8:30 pm

Get a Sam's club or costco membership and buy anything non-perishable in bulk... you save a ton of money and you only have to shop once a month for most things...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Sep 2007, 9:10 pm

dont ever underestimate a good vacuum cleaner son. be brave. drop a few benjermins on a dyson and have the most rewarding vacuuming experiance in your life