Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2009, 1:33 pm

I like WP for many of the reasons others have mentioned. I do have an academic interest in ASD's in general, and in AS, specifically, and I always find it very interesting and informative to read the insights and experiences of various individuals from all over the spectrum.
Moreover, as others have said, I can really relate to what people here post, and it helps me to know that there are others out there who have challenges that are similar to mine. I also feel that I can be honest about my own challenges and oddities here, and I'm far less likely be be judged for them, than I would be IRL.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 3:08 pm

BelindatheNobody wrote:
I feel comfortable here, most days. Sometimes even when there are trolls around.

We moderators can't find all the trolls by ourselves, we need your help to find them (there aren't very many of us). Calling someone a troll in the topic helps, but it would be even more helpful if you would notify us by PM when you find them. This is your home, and you all need to help keep your home "clean" :D

I'm glad you all enjoy this site so much. I'm a long-time member (number 700 and something) so I've seen the site grow almost from its infancy. It's so good that we have such a place to call our own. I second all the thoughts you've expressed here, I too love WP.

devey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2009, 4:09 pm

I like reading topics that make me think and make me understand myself more, and I like being able to ask questions that can be answered by people who understand our quirks and traits and can offer their analysis. I would feel less comfortable asking these questions anywhere else. This place also makes me feel less self concious and awkward, which gives the opportunity for comfort and introspection.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 4:55 pm

leejosepho wrote:
How could anyone *not* like WP?!

Well, if they listened to rumors spread by people with grudges.
The first time I encountered trolls on WP, before I'd spoken to any of the mods personally, there was another member telling me that the moderators didn't care and that if I talked to them about it they'd just tell me to go elsewhere if I didn't like it. Many of those people go on and on about how they're disliked by moderators because they're jealous that they're better. (I've since realized that when somebody tells you that somebody dislikes them because they're better than that person, you can be quite reasonably certain that the real reason the person dislikes them is that they're an arrogant jerk who goes around saying that they're better than other people!)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:30 pm

I like that we can put our problems here and people with similar problems can help us with them. :) Plus, it's a forum where you can talk about anything, which is good. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 6:04 pm

I like that I can talk about my daughter and nobody scolds me for having her vaccinated and giving her food with gluten. And those things don't even come up because it's not relevent here.

I like that I can talk about things that have nothing whatsoever to do with autism. There are many threads on a wide range of topics (especially the politics/philosophy subforum- oh my) and I can babble on to my heart's content and nobody says "WTF does any of that mean??" because there is always somebody here who knows just what I meant. I also learn about all sorts of interesting things as people post about their special interests.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2009, 11:02 pm

Here's my take on why I like the WP. I have belonged to other forums before---one on roller coasters and two on dulcimers, and a couple others perhaps...but the WP has been the only one that I feel will always be an active part of my life. If WP were taken away from me, I now feel like a part of me would go with it. I was seriously going to quit WP not too long ago and stayed away for a month. But, I had to return. I needed it. This forum has become a portal to not only a better understanding of myself, but a place for me to socialize with others like me. When I have a need, members have been quick to help me. This site offers comfort and support. I respect the members and moderators here. I have a sense of belonging here. I can say that if something were to happen to WP, I would be very sad and probably lost. I would have to find another forum on autism and be constantly comparing it to WP. So I hope that WP will always be around for us here.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 11:22 pm

It's a safe "home" for me to come to.

06 Dec 2009, 12:22 am

leejosepho wrote:
How could anyone *not* like WP?!

Some people don't like the mods or the rules, the color of the forum, etc.

PS a member here I liked just threw a little tantrum this morning and left because she didn't like the rules. I do think some of them are stupid but Alex's forum, his rules and the mods are following them. I personally don't like him but I won't go there. It was two years ago.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 8:42 am

Quote:
What do you like about WP?
EVERYTHING :D, so far :wink:

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths