Do you mistake other people's feelings for your own?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you sometimes feel someone else's feelings instead of your own?
Yes, and it's confusing 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but I can usually tell they don't belong to me 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I don't know, feelings are usually too jumbled to tell 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
I don't feel much of anything 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Maybe occasionally 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
No, I can understand others' emotions, but I'm not overtaken by them 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
No, I don't understand others' emotions, nor do I experience them 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2009, 10:58 am

It's supposed to be called echo-emotica and I've heard some people have it. I do and it's very frustrating. I'm always confused as to what I'm feeling about things, and somtimes what I'm feeling actually comes from someone else! It's really odd, I cannot read feelings intuitively or understand their complexity, but put me in a room with someone who's anxious and I'll be anxious too. Problem is, I won't know why. After my diagnosis though, I've realized I can reason my way to whether an emotion belongs to me or someone I've happened to come across.

My psychologist called it being invaded by other people's feelings. I think I saw Willard mentioning it, anyone else?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 10:59 am

no.
i do not even mistake my own feelings as my own.

_LiquidHydrogen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 11:04 am

I do occasionally make mistakes in telling emotions of others apart, and sometimes believe that they're thinking the same as I am. But, to me a person's facial expression and body language has to show their emotion in order to convey it correctly in some cases.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 12:55 pm

Never

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 2:21 pm

b9 wrote:
no.

Lol.. I love the way you put that.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 3:42 pm

LipstickKiller wrote:
It's supposed to be called echo-emotica

The hyperlexic in me wants to say echothymia. *blinks innocently*

Anyways, I normally don't have this problem. I can't remember a time when it has happened either.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

14 Nov 2009, 7:19 pm

I can become overwhelmed by the emotions of others. When I was in college, a guy who lived down the hall from me was killed. I knew him, but wasn't close to him in any way. The night of his death everyone gathered in the common room to cry together. I was sobbing right along with the rest of them. Didn't realize it at the time, but I definitely didn't share their emotions toward the death. I have been overwhelmed in other circumstances too, but that one was the most extreme.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2009, 1:32 am

It was really bad when I was little and just trying to train myself in the ways of empathy. If someone I cared about had a bad day, I would make myself feel just as bad. My mom told me this needed to stop, especially once I was a teenager and already way too moody on top of it.

Now it only happens when it's a new situation and I'm looking to other people to figure out how I'm supposed to being feeling at that moment, especially if it isn't effecting me personally--like when there's a hurricane on the other side of the country.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2009, 5:41 am

Aha, interesting answers. 8)

I never do it intentionally, I'll just suddenly feel something and I won't know why and then when I retrace my steps I can see it was someone else who felt i´and I just kind of picked it up. I guess my subconscious empathy works, but the information gets mixed up with my own feelings, if that makes any sense. I guess it's not overly common since few people have replied.

I often think that the misunderstandings that take place as a result of autism are not caused by us failing to pick up signals, but rather that they are processed wrong. I don't know if that matters though (haven't had coffee yet so my brain's a bit mushy)

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 6:27 am

I have a schizoaffective condition. I tend to mistake my own thoughts for other peoples, which is kind of the opposite of that of autism. The psychological mechanism is called 'projection'.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 10:09 am

I don't know. I have difficulty understanding my own emotions, especially strong emotions, so I'm not sure if I "take over" other people's feelings.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2009, 10:21 am

b9 wrote:
no.

lol... I could have written that!

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 11:27 am

I think I do this a lot! And the (their!) emotion will remain with me for hours or even days .. :( don't like that. Normally lots of time and work before real me emerges again.

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 11:28 am

no

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm

I wouldn't describe it as mistaking another's feelings for my own, but I do get affected or invaded (as your psych mentioned) by others' feelings and behaviours. One counsellor I saw mentioned that many emotions stirred in us are actually a result of other people's issues.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 1:00 pm

I voted for #1. I do mistake other's feelings with my own. If somebody's crying, I end up joining them. I never mistake another person's anger with my own, because I have no tolerance for anger. I tend to ignore angry people.