Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2009, 10:39 pm

I hear alot about Aspies being more drawn to numbers or science, but my cup of tea is art. (I know Van Gogh and many other artists are suspected Aspies.) I'm most talented with drawing and painting. Problem is, I have a harder time verbalizing my work more then most students - I also have a harder time putting "emotion" in my work, unlike most other students. I mean, I typically admire art work that is realistic and clever, not emotional.
I think why I enjoy painting and drawing is because I can really get into details and I can concentrate on my work for long periods of time. I know many art students who spend little time on their work, while I spend five hours a night on it.

Anyway. Anyone else more artistic? If so, why do you enjoy making art? How do you go about your art making process?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2009, 11:05 pm

While I have always been drawn to the maths, and the sciences, my dyscalculia prevents me doing well at them. But I have always been an artistic and literary Aspie. Since childhood, I have read and written extensively, as well as enjoying sketching, painting, and doing various arts and crafts.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 11:54 pm

Have you tried surrealism? Look at Dali's paintings, like the melting clocks thing. The landscapes are very realistic, or at least plausible, everything looks real enough to touch, but some of the things don't quite make sense. Why would clocks melt? What is that fleshy-looking thing with the eyelashes? Is that a bowl of fruit on a table, or an ocean and mountains on the horizon of a desert? Is it just me, or is there a person by that cliff?

It's exactly like a dream. Everything appears so real, but subtle things are just a bit off. Whether it uses indefinite objects, or tricks of perspective, this type of image, like any dream, conveys an incredible deep and powerful message from Dali's subconscious - one that requires such a context that even Dali himself might not have understood it, and we probably never will.

But they do not have me

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2009, 12:04 am

Apera wrote:
Have you tried surrealism? Look at Dali's paintings, like the melting clocks thing. The landscapes are very realistic, or at least plausible, everything looks real enough to touch, but some of the things don't quite make sense. Why would clocks melt? What is that fleshy-looking thing with the eyelashes? Is that a bowl of fruit on a table, or an ocean and mountains on the horizon of a desert? Is it just me, or is there a person by that cliff?

It's exactly like a dream. Everything appears so real, but subtle things are just a bit off. Whether it uses indefinite objects, or tricks of perspective, this type of image, like any dream, conveys an incredible deep and powerful message from Dali's subconscious - one that requires such a context that even Dali himself might not have understood it, and we probably never will.

Oh of course! Dali is one of my favorites.... I am often compared to him. I favor surrealism most of all.

Actually, the painting you are talking about is called "The Persistence of Memory" - The idea came randomly to him. He was about to go to bed and as he was shutting his eyes, he suddenly saw melting clocks! So he painted them!

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2009, 12:39 am

Yes, I am most definitely an artist. I too have trouble articulating my ideas in the right words.
8)

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2009, 1:02 am

Yep! I'm an artist too!
I paint from within.....and if I'd put a label on the type of stuff I do I'd say it is figurative abstact.
Due to a difficulty with fine motor control I'm not into detail, and do not see the relevance for me in rendering in a manner that is best dealt with by a camera. MY art is my language to convey where I'm at...... many people Don't understand it they'd rather a pretty country scene or a vase of
With "language" I'm good at writing poetry .....once again from where I'm at... not the usual rhyming couplets or ballad form that MOST people associate with poetry... but then again MOST people are quite illiterate when it comes to appreciation of any form of "literature".

Once I used to measure myself against others... nowadays I realize how stupid that is as I'm not "others" and that the answer to me lies within myself......and therefore so does my mode of expression.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 1:22 am

I love to draw. I'm most interested in the details and the realism of the art, rather than the emotion or subject. My favorite things to draw are people and things that are supernatural or superhuman in some way. Like superheros/villians, demons, ghosts, sorcerers, monsters. I do portraits sometimes too, but they are sooo exausting. I can't rest until it's as close to perfect as I can get it. That takes hours, plus I like inventing my own stuff better. Drawing from real life really helps improve my technique though. I want to go to art school after I'm done with my career as a dancer.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 1:33 am

words in written form, the only thing I excel at.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 1:49 am

I have an art degree and I love to do art of all kinds. almost majored in ceramics, then in printmaking, simply because of the chemistry (literal, not figurative). in drawing and painting I'm drawn (no pun intended) to the science of light and color as well as the emotion conveyed in a line. I never had a chance to apply math in engineering and I didn't enjoy theoretical math although I love doing algebraic problems for their own sake, so I don't really know how good I am at math. I only took an introductory algebra class then tested out after studying a math book for 2 weeks because I couldn't waste time on it if I was going for an art degree.

Last edited by bhetti on 12 Dec 2009, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 2:02 am

I just completed two menorahs for my twin nieces (age four).
They're made of stuff from all over the Michael's craft store, complete with tap lights for 'candles' and each light is on the lid to a tin that opens so you can put small gifts inside.

I will be happy never to see another can of spray paint as long as i live.

but yes, i am a creative aspie. :) my sister is the technical aspie.

ETA: not entirely true - - my sister /is/ creative. but in a different way.

moknin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2009, 7:51 am

I love drawing/ sketching and it would be my major if I succeed to transfer to a visual art degree.
I like to do realistic sketching and I did quiet a few self-taught human portrait, but I m not a hardcore realist
Its more accurate to say that I prefer to conbine realism with creativity
(In fact I m quiet bother by how to achieve so. While I want to demonstrate my realistic sketching technique in my work, realism is unsatisfying to demonstrate my emotional self expression, which is what art really all about, but abstract art form may risk my emphasize on technique)

I dont know is it true for everybody but
When I am doing or thinking things I have a picture in my brain
eg. when I m talking with people I would think of a firing machine gun (it may somehow connect to the fact that I m a fast-speaker)
when I m listening to music I would actually think of how to "draw" it. In fact I love to listen to music when I m drawing
and I usually think of myself as a young female soldier. Even I m neither female nor soldier in the first place
All those brain images are usually the things I draw or plan to draw
(Usually I love to imagine a picture rather than draw because I m too lazy most of the time)
:lol:

Chobitsfan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2009, 8:22 am

I used to paint but now I am into 3D art.
When I did paint I was very detail oriented.
When I was in college I took an advanced painting class
we were required to make 10 paintings by the end of the semester
I only Compleated 4 paintings ,but still got an A in the class.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2009, 9:21 am

As a child, I drew all the time and carried my sketchbook with me where ever I went. I majored in design in college and worked in creative arts for about 12 years. I then explored my other interests in science/engineering for a couple of decades, but now that I'm retired (sometimes semi-retired), I'm back into art again. I tend to find a particular theme I like and thoroughly explore every aspect of it before moving on to something else. I know some folks (some relatives and family friends) find this a little disturbing. Alas, when you're young, you are "innovative and insightful", when you're old, you're "stuck in a rut" or "senile".

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 10:39 am

Thank you for setting out this thread :) because i'm very artistic :)

I started drawing things since the age of 3 years old :lol: and ive never really stopped drawing since.
I find it rather theraptic (if I can even spell it?)

Since when I went secondary school, I sort of started getting other interests and it was basically in my way of it and I sorta stopped doing it for like after a while.
Went back to it in year 8 and started doing all sorts of drawings, but my weak point about it used to be painting which ive now seem to have mastered very well..
I even done alot of clay work and had alot of top markings for it... followed by mozaics which got me the following B in artm, but im still surprised it wasn't a A and I thought that was simply unfair, :x but i've never given up there.
I even do digital art now, that im even using one of them as my all time avatar :lol: and that is my very first avatar on this site funny enough.

Now i'm in college doing arts and media, thanks to my artistic talents which i even got offered by the college because I spotted by the teachers when I was doing a part time course in painting and decorating... Because my work would be the one that was always the neatest.
I was so shocked, I'd never though that I would of been able to like get so far because of it.

Check out the rest of my art: http://superboyian.deviantart.com I do post work on there, buti'm fairly new on that site so thats why it seems to be not as much on there.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 2:56 pm

I would count as an artistic / non technical aspie..I grew up interested in science and fact-collecting...But i also have dyscalculea...
My mom is also a very artsy AS-ish type person...

um..

The as-ish people on my dad's side are the architect/ engineer types....I inherited little to none of their skills unfortunately...and though chronically artistic, I have trouble with perspective and depth perception within my art...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

Drawing, faces mainly, but also figures, and some still-life, also imaginary scenes with colour pencil, and painting, abstracts mainly but some faces.

Don't do it very much though, although I am talented and enjoy doing it whenever I get round to it. I drew constantly in my teens, and again for a year or so when lived by the sea in a small town which had a flourishing artist community with a twice-weekly life class, and, later, abstract painting, for a year or two here and there, big stuff on walls and large boards, but, apart from occasional bursts of drawing faces, seem to have lost the "habit". Don't know why. Feelings of pointlessness about it? It bothers me that I don't do it. I don't understand why I don't.