What's the correct assumption to make in this situation?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 1:17 pm

I pass through the lobby of my apt building at 7:45 pm, and I see a lovely candle-holder in the center, candles lit up, and a sign saying: "Dear Neighbors: We're all meeting in the lobby at 7:55 pm every day for Hanukka candle lighting. For more info, meet us at Facebook, "The (Street) (Number) Group".

I pass through the lobby again, back from the supermarket, at 7:59 pm, and it's exactly the same scene.

I search in Facebook, there's no such group.

14 Dec 2009, 1:29 pm

I would just shrug it off. I would figure it was a prank.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 2:03 pm

...or someone had the location wrong

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 2:51 pm

The flyer mentions Chanukah (spelling varies), so obviously a Jewish organization posted it. They're usually concerned about getting people to come to their celebrations, so I doubt it was a prank. They probably got the address wrong, unless of course, it was a someone else making a prank against Jewish people. Your location says you're from Middle East; what country exactly are you in? That would probably make a difference here. Since it's about Chanukah, I'm guessing Israel or one of its more liberal neighbors, like Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, or UAE.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:04 pm

No one would dare joke or hold the gathering away from the candle-holder here in Israel, so I don't think it's any of the above...

millie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:08 pm

maybe someone was halfway through planning it, and was then distracted by sudden illness or an emergency, that prevented them from being there.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:41 pm

...and leaving fire unattended...

millie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:53 pm

if they are distracted by an emergency ..then it is quite possible they have forgotten about the flame.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:10 pm

And what about the rest of the people? There was no one there...

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:11 pm

wait nvm

Last edited by wigglyspider on 14 Dec 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:12 pm

people have their own ceremonies to attend?
how long was the note up for for? a fair time...or a short period?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:17 pm

Usually these things take 10 minutes at the most. Lighting a candle, blessing, singing a short song, that's it. But I'm sure they didn't finish it in 4 minutes and then left the candles burning...

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2009, 4:28 pm

They met at 7:55 in the lobby and left quickly to go conduct their festivities somewhere close by at 8. Did it bother you?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:34 pm

Strange and yet somehow oddly amusing. Someone threw a Hanukkah celebration in Israel and no one showed up? There's a whole standup act in that one incident. :D

It seems confusing to me to say 'meet in the lobby' and 'meet us at FaceBook'. Is there a virtual lobby in cyberspace somewhere, or is it a gathering for people who have only known each other online? Or was it such a short meeting that you just missed it? I don't know what normally goes on at these things, but I would have assumed there'd be some reading, maybe a song or two and some sort of nosh?

Perhaps the organizers slipped round the corner to pick up some oil for the lamp - it can't hurt to have extra...

Sorry if I'm being offensive, I find 'Back in 5 minutes' at a Santa throne to be weird, too - He covers the entire globe in one night, where's he going for five minutes - back to the North Pole so he can use his own bathroom?

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2009, 4:39 pm

Willard wrote:
Sorry if I'm being offensive, I find 'Back in 5 minutes' at a Santa throne to be weird, too - He covers the entire globe in one night, where's he going for five minutes - back to the North Pole so he can use his own bathroom?

LOL. You'd probably find this amusing: http://www.main.com/~anns/other/humor/p ... santa.html

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:41 pm

Aww Willard

:lmao:

I really needed a good laugh today!

I didn't know that stand-up comedian side of you, it's wonderful!