Page 6 of 20 [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next

cerasela
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm

ruennsheng wrote:
Let's hope that Alex's video will be the beginning of greater things to come.

I hope the next movie will follow up on this, and really show real solutions for K St and Congress to really make policies in our favor. :)

Like perhaps, as I thought after watching the video, more support for homeschooling or alternative/specialized schools for Aspies/Auties could be publicly funded? Just my ideas.

I hope that G-d hears you...I just had a hell of a day at my daughter's school. Just when I think I made a progress, I am down on my knees again...getting raped AGAIN (figurate speech...sorry for the crude expression, but I know first hand the feeling of being raped, it is actually less painful than suffering/being afraid for your child).
My poor daughter is been asking me to homeschool her for a long time now, but I can't do it, she IS learning in public school and I am just afraid that I would not know what I am doing homeschooling her, but the school barely knows what they're doing, so...
I was yelling at the school social worker today...I am ashamed...I am just fed up of the same lame excuses, the same insulting bullying things that are said to me, I am sick of them second guessing the doctors diagnoses, my observations, calling my daughter "rude" (hell, if I would be her, I would have kicked major butt there with what she's going through...I actually have a lot of respect for my daughter's self control)...the social worker asked me if I want to go back to my country if I don't like the schools here (??? doesn't that qualify for PURE discrimination??? or just cruelty???)...it was just a sad circus. I think that the social worker is having a lot of amusement at my expense. She told me that she knows how I feel (as a nurse, I NEVER told any patient that, it one of the most ignorant/disrespectful/cruel thing that you can tell someone that's suffering). That is when I exploded in tears...how can such people even be allowed to have a job?

Anyway, I hope that G-d hears you. I know my daughter will make a difference, she will be the second person with AS I know that will write about that particular school and bullying...hahaha...I will see the social worker then, when she will be immortal in a story...it's not done till the "fat" ladies sing...lol...

PS For whoever wants to hurt me (in my professional life, for example) using what I posted in confidence here, watch out, I have a good lawyer.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 2:51 am

cerasela wrote:
ruennsheng wrote:
Let's hope that Alex's video will be the beginning of greater things to come.

I hope the next movie will follow up on this, and really show real solutions for K St and Congress to really make policies in our favor. :)

Like perhaps, as I thought after watching the video, more support for homeschooling or alternative/specialized schools for Aspies/Auties could be publicly funded? Just my ideas.

I hope that G-d hears you...I just had a hell of a day at my daughter's school. Just when I think I made a progress, I am down on my knees again...getting raped AGAIN (figurate speech...sorry for the crude expression, but I know first hand the feeling of being raped, it is actually less painful than suffering/being afraid for your child).
My poor daughter is been asking me to homeschool her for a long time now, but I can't do it, she IS learning in public school and I am just afraid that I would not know what I am doing homeschooling her, but the school barely knows what they're doing, so...
I was yelling at the school social worker today...I am ashamed...I am just fed up of the same lame excuses, the same insulting bullying things that are said to me, I am sick of them second guessing the doctors diagnoses, my observations, calling my daughter "rude" (hell, if I would be her, I would have kicked major butt there with what she's going through...I actually have a lot of respect for my daughter's self control)...the social worker asked me if I want to go back to my country if I don't like the schools here (??? doesn't that qualify for PURE discrimination??? or just cruelty???)...it was just a sad circus. I think that the social worker is having a lot of amusement at my expense. She told me that she knows how I feel (as a nurse, I NEVER told any patient that, it one of the most ignorant/disrespectful/cruel thing that you can tell someone that's suffering). That is when I exploded in tears...how can such people even be allowed to have a job?

Anyway, I hope that G-d hears you. I know my daughter will make a difference, she will be the second person with AS I know that will write about that particular school and bullying...hahaha...I will see the social worker then, when she will be immortal in a story...it's not done till the "fat" ladies sing...lol...

Well actually, I want my eventual kids home-schooled too; while I can easily throw in some input on history and economics, we'll probably need to higher a private tudor or something. And to be fair, I think it's totally worth it.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 3:13 am

:) Glad that the video brings about new thoughts.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2010, 12:16 pm

i homeschooled my kids for a year when we lived out in the country. it's mostly reading and writing anyway, and there are groups that have materials for that and will help, if you want. i didn't feel the need for these.

one son went on to a degree in physics, math, and computer science and he's now a programmer. the other child delayed college and worked as a cook for six years, rising to the highest paid person (behind the owner) and is now in his final year at college, business major.

all i did was read books with them that year, have them keep a journal and write one short paper daily about their choice of whatever we read about that day, and play math games. it's not rocket science, and a lot of time's wasted in school so the formal homeschooling took only a few hours a day. then they learned life skills like cooking, etc.

i wish my folks had taken me out of school. i begged them to but they never would. i'm unemployed...just sayin'

FeralAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2010, 4:42 pm

Totally agree on the homeschooling side. I wish I had been. My 11 year old Aspergers son has never been to school and I reckon is as happy as any Aspie could be. I look at him and dream of what could have been for me. We "unschool" ( http://www.unschooling.com/ ) rather than doing anything formal and that fits the Aspie mind perfectly. I hate to think of the different person my son would be if we sent him into the school system.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 1:46 am

alex wrote:
documentary film about autism

'autism reality' is a moving interview-based piece that shows a new and refreshing side of the issue.

thank you Dr. Temple Grandin for your interview!

http://vimeo.com/8182809
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOCYubVc7g

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOCYubVc7g[/youtube]

Great video alex I believe that you have an true talent in videography and reporting. You've already made a difference in many peoples lives and I support what you are doing. Keep up the good work man.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 4:02 am

Hey Alex, what will be your next vid?

I will wait for it.

Chooty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

fernando wrote:
Awww Alex, your dad is autistic! I started to wonder when i saw the position of his fingers when he first came up, then i saw the posture of his right arm and i noticed his silence and then i was sure.

Damn I still got it, i still can diagnose with little info :)

My theory that our type of autism is ALWAYS inherited from one of the parents remains unchallenged.

:? I don't like diagnosers like you mate.

Last time somebody pulled that prank on me my blood almost boiled.. , but i could not spoil the fun of the diagnosing person who was so proud of her discovery.

I forgot why I never checked these forums again but now I remember.

On the video: nice project, but of course such a documentary is limited to the USA context, I think things are diffirent in any country.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 8:34 pm

Chooty wrote:
fernando wrote:
Awww Alex, your dad is autistic! I started to wonder when i saw the position of his fingers when he first came up, then i saw the posture of his right arm and i noticed his silence and then i was sure.

Damn I still got it, i still can diagnose with little info :)

My theory that our type of autism is ALWAYS inherited from one of the parents remains unchallenged.

:? I don't like diagnosers like you mate.

Last time somebody pulled that prank on me my blood almost boiled.. , but i could not spoil the fun of the diagnosing person who was so proud of her discovery.

I forgot why I never checked these forums again but now I remember.

On the video: nice project, but of course such a documentary is limited to the USA context, I think things are diffirent in any country.

I think Hennastalker and Ashmeister (on WP) and perhaps a few other Aspies/auties in my country are inspired enough by Alex to make a movie or documentary on autism, in Singapore or maybe Asian context. I am waiting for other similar videos around the world!

P.S. I would like to work with the two great guys above but I have my own challenges --- like emotional instability and volatility. I have sensory issues too. They're seriously serious.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 1:16 pm

Alex that was great! I have tried to explain how my ASD affects me to people and struggled. I will be sending them the link to this as I feel this would be very useful to them, thanks :D

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 5:34 pm

I found it interesting in this thread how people could tell which interviews were with NT's, and which were with AS. See, that whole part confused me. I wasn't sure which "side" anyone was supposed to represent, or if there was one. Is that because I am more NT than AS, or for some other reason? I couldn't really clue into the point of the opening sequence, either, even though after the second or third time I think I "got" it. Is that just me?

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2010, 6:07 am

Those who appear mute but can put intelligent sounding views on a computer screen, are suffering from sensory overwhelm that a keyboard compensates for. By this I mean noise and other distractions, including flashing lights, strong smells, being touched and having questions fired at you plus verbal interruptions, makes talking difficult to impossible for us at times or all the time, sometimes.

A computer screen, in a reasonably soundproof room is a controlled environment - whereas a noisy auditorium or street is not. Think of a pool of water. Leave it alone and it will appear tranquil and whole - throw some rocks into it and you end up with interference patterns (see physics for one meaning of that and communication for another), plus stirred up mud below the surface, so that clarity of thought is also disturbed.

The point made by the Mohawk Shaman is one I've also been aware of for a time. It's not only in the field of technology our particular strength lies and I've been bringing back information to help this society grow up, in this manner (Nobody much listens but that is because nowadays care givers have been replaced by self-indulgent children but that is something else to discuss elsewhere)

AXLROSE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2010, 10:45 am

I didn't like it

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 4:59 am

I like it though. I would recommend it to every Aspie I know of.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2010, 8:24 am

Alex, if you are seriously out to change the governments attitude to autism, you must first understand it. They see autism as a genetic problem needing to be eradicated. All they notice is those at the lower end of the spectrum and want to get rid of them. What is needed is to get other people on board in the scientific community, to show the genius end that would be lost and how this would effect the future fabric of society. They want to get rid of problems and we need to prove that we have solutions to humanities problems, that far outweigh the other end of the spectrum that they want to get rid of.

What we need is to utilize all the autistic community, run by the autistic themselves, to bombard the government with solutions to problems plus show the contributions we've already made to the world.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 9:54 am

Quote:
What we need is to utilize all the autistic community, run by the autistic themselves, to bombard the government with solutions to problems plus show the contributions we've already made to the world.

Look at the number of books our fellow autistics wrote --- almost all our struggles and triumphs are there --- is this a curse or a blessing? In the end, is it will and determination that determines the altitude of our achievements? I guess so...

But yes, I hope this community will be a starting point to help to lessen our problems, increase our interaction and understanding, and launch a new coherent plan for us to thrive even better for our future.