Can You tell that somebody may have aspergers?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:59 am

No I cant. I leav that to the professionals

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 6:45 am

I can tell, if someone's an Aspie. I can tell by the body language, mannerisims and the voice of a person. I can also tell if a celebrity has it, by looking at pictures that was taken of any famous person, over the years. That person would have their arms hanging at their sides, as opposed to posing for a picture, and the person wouldn't be looking straight ahead. He/she would be looking more out the corners of their eyes. I can also tell by the composure of the face and the head. I know where this is all going, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 3:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I can tell, if someone's an Aspie. I can tell by the body language, mannerisims and the voice of a person. I can also tell if a celebrity has it, by looking at pictures that was taken of any famous person, over the years. That person would have their arms hanging at their sides, as opposed to posing for a picture, and the person wouldn't be looking straight ahead. He/she would be looking more out the corners of their eyes. I can also tell by the composure of the face and the head. I know where this is all going, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

that doesnt mean they have it

Amcathra
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2009, 8:54 pm

I did spot one last year - monotonous voice, lack of eye contact, inability to detect people weren't interested. I've been aware of him for a few years, but only since my own diagnosis and studying AS a bit, did i work up the courage to ask him directly, to which he replied yes.

Due to a support group I have met numbers of aspies, but i can't identify the high functioning ones generally, I need glaringly obvious signs.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 12:51 am

I can often tell, either by observing, direct interacting, or even just talking to people online. I'm very good at picking up on it. There was one guy at work who obviously had it. He moved and stimmed the exact same ways I did. I stim heavily, and it's very obvious. I never did get to talk to him about it, though; he had a different role in the company, and I only lasted in the job I had a month (it was aspie hell).

What blew my mind, though, was when a non-aspie I run with in an MMO I play picked up on me. I'm not really that obvious, though I'd been playing with this guy for quite a while. We were discussing various things at one point and he asked me if I had any diagnoses. I told him I wasn't diagnosed, but was completely certain I had Asperger's. He told me he was just about to ask about that. I'm still surprised he picked up on it.

I sometimes wonder if a friend I had in high school has it. I'm pretty sure he does. He was always awkward, quiet, and very naive, but he seemed drawn to me, and trusted my judgement. He also has the "look", if you will. It's been a few years since I've really talked to him, and I last heard from him back in January, but I know he's still local and he still has my contact info. Maybe some day I'll get to talk to him about it.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:09 am

Yes I can sense fellow Aspies. Other neurodiverse not to much - some of the other neurodiverse are faking neurotypicalism :evil:

/autistic nationalism

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:45 am

Sometimes I notice a few hallmarks or "red flags" with people so to speak...

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge