It's OK for me 20%  20%  [ 34 ]
Other ___________________________________ 14%  14%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 168

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 5:17 pm

Aimless wrote:
Facebook pretty much parallels my own real life experience with socializing, which is me standing on the outside of the group wondering what the hell is going on.

Me too!! ! I only recently opened an account as one of the members in my band wanted to share some photos of the band with us. All those people with 300 and more friends - how on earth do they manage it? 8O

The pages seem badly laid out, a counter-intuitive interface.

One thing I find slightly disturbing is that although I have only a few friends from totally different circles, still I've already had people asking me "so who's this person, then?". And I'm not really comfortable with that, for some reason. Mixing work colleagues with relatives and personal friends can be problematic. I recently had some training at work that included this issue: what do you do if you notice a work colleague has FB friends who are involved in something wicked and sinister like "pro-environmental anti-business issues"? My suggestion that I would like to have the "pro-environmental' protesters as my own friends was not the correct answer....

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 5:30 pm

^Manerg, on facebook you can clock up "friends" in the same way I clock up the elephants in my elephant collection. you simply collect.

One of my AS friends (who is in 12 step programs with me) has 800 plus facebook friends. She just makes "friend" requests all the time.

I was involved with facebook in 2009, but i have run into ALL sorts of problems as a result of a blurring of these groups as you mention. 12 step "friends" talking about their past substance histories, and ASD people talking about ASD issues and then Family talking about family issues (although my family and the ASD issues overlap) and then art people talking about art issues and the whole thing being made worse for me by virtue of the fact I have poor ToM so i just write things up that I realise - 9 months down the track - should not be public knowledge for some who do not understand ASD's or other such things. I have a big problem with not understanding how my disclosures will be received (poor ToM) and Facebook IS NOT the place for someone with poor ToM.

I've basically walked away from it all as it requires too much strategising and too much energy that wrecks me.

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 5:59 pm

I don't mind facebook. I check it once a day and I use it to keep up with friends. I play 2 of the long term games on there. I used to hate it at first but I got used to it. I find it much easier to interact with people online that I do in real life anyway.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 6:02 pm

Facebook just annoys me.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 6:15 pm

ManErg made a funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 6:32 pm

Trinny wrote:
I'm so used to being deleted as a friend.
So every time I log in, first thing I check is, has anyone deleted me again.
That deleting thing has put me off from Facebook
Same here. I did find it overwhelming at times, too. Now that I've quit, there's nothing to worry about.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 7:17 pm

If anyone would like to ad me on FB by the way then you're free to do so

My facebook page

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:05 pm

I voted other because I have never been on or seen facebook.

Lilactiger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2009, 10:54 pm

This is interesting....I enjoy facebook because it`s not real-time. You can think about what you want to say before you say it, ``listen`` to people one at a time, and only respond to people if you want to. I find it an easier way to communicate with large groups of people without getting overwhelmed..

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 11:18 pm

Francis wrote:
I voted other because I have never been on or seen facebook.

What?! You're not on Facebook???! !! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Just kidding. I'm not on it either, so I voted "other" as well.

Whenever I think I might want to reconsider, I read threads like this, and it reconfirms that Facebook is not for me.

This will probably make me look like the most anti-social person on the planet, but there is not a single person from my past or present with whom I want to keep in touch via Facebook. Someone mentioned getting a lot of friends and having them want to chat all the time. Uh, sorry, but I don't "chat". I would hate to be put in the uncomfortable position of having to either "chat" with someone or offend them by ignoring them.

There are a lot of things about Facebook that I don't know or understand, but it sounds like you need to put in a whole lot of personal information, like your phone number and where you went to high school. The last thing I want is people from past life phases getting in touch with me and wanting to "chat". That sounds dreadful.

Really, I don't dislike people. I get along fairly well, and I'm a nice person. But I just don't want to be obligated to read/view the minutia of people's lives. I don't want to be in the position of having to either comment on someone's [new shoes, kid's achievement, joke, gripe, etc) or offend them by ignoring them. I don't want to put other people in that position either. And I certainly don't want to be obligated to fill old acquaintances in about what I've been doing for the last umpteen years or express some kind of interest in what they've been doing. It's not that I don't care, exactly. It's just that...well....gosh, maybe I don't care. Okay, I guess I am the most anti-social person on the planet. Hmmm. Maybe I should quit before I say anything worse. I'm sure FB is great for some people. I just don't think it's my cup of tea.

Oooh, a cup of tea! Now that sounds nice! :)

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 11:49 pm

I made a vow not to ever join facebook. THe whole thing is an insult to the world wide web an attempt to make the web a social place and thus destroy me by ruining my last hideout, so I hate it :).

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 4:33 am

never bothered me to be perfectly honest; I just focus on what I'm there to do, and that's it.

Say Greentea, since you're on there, how do I find you?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 8:59 am

I've had it with FB, I don't use it anymore, mainly because I wasn't getting any satisfaction and the layout was driving me crazy.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:25 am

I don't have a problem with Facebook except that they change things up all the time.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2009, 9:50 am

I find facebook absolutely fine in terms of how to work it, etc.

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2009, 12:19 pm

Greentea, you know, you start all the great threads.

My sister suggested we all join Facebook so we could keep in touch. I peeped at it, hated it, and refused to use it. That was a year or so ago. In the meantime, a bunch of friends I met on another forum started using it when that forum started to fade. So I reactivated my page and tried adding them and my family.

I don't like it at all. It's not like life - in real life you don't have your friends in the same room as your dad. Subject-specific forums like this one are much more like real world social situations. Facebook is more like a bus station or an airport lounge where everyone just has to stand around being polite.

I think it is a transitional programme while people learn how to use the internet as a group. I don't think that it is only AS people who have trouble with it, I think everyone does, and that it is fundamentally dysfunctional.