Page 3 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

I have a BA in Religion and Biblical Liturature, and completed all the coursework required for an MAT in Elementary Education before my husband got transferred and we moved halfway across the country. (Kind of hard to do Student Teaching that way, although I tried to work it out.) I intend to get certified to teach here (when I can afford the courses) and to go back to grad school for an MAT or MEd. in English, so I can teach Middle School. School has never been hard, although I do feel I made a mistake in choosing a college (I went to an Ivy, and would have done better in a less traditional setting). I think it's just as possible for an Aspie to achieve a degree in higher education as it is for an NT, although our strengths might need less traditional support.

Nordic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm

I got my M. Ed. in Student Development last year. The intership portion of my program was a struggle but I did fine academically. I was given enough freedom in my classes to find topics that really interested me and I just dove right into the research and writing.

If and aspie can align his interestes with academics he can do really well.

Nordic

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2010, 9:28 pm

I have an MSED in Early Childhood Special Education. I struggled at times over the course of my program, and it took me an inordinately long time to earn that degree, but ultimately, I managed to fulfill the requirements and complete the program. Unfortunately, I can't seem to rise above the level of permanent substitute at the school where I work, and it often seems like I'm alternately ignored and treated like an incompetent idiot who can't be entrusted with anything too difficult. I suppose I'm reasonably lucky, though. I have a job with a salary vaguely resembling a living wage, and my top priority should be to hold on to that job. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that much.
Incidentally, I don't drive -- gave up on that after multiple failed attempts. I'm lucky to live in a city that's quite accessible without a car. I also can't keep my apartment clean and organized to save my life. I have extremely limited culinary skills, and would probably starve if not for packaged meals and my microwave. I can't operate a can opener, and I can barely sweep a floor or tie shoelaces. I never even managed to ride a bike with any proficiency as a result of extremely poor balance. Still, I managed to complete years of education, and get good grades for the most part. Uneven skills, anyone? I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have less formal education than I do, yet have skills that I lack. We all have our own unique sets of strengths and weaknesses.
Okay, it's been a rough few days at work. I had a point here, but I lost sight of it ages ago, so it's probably a good time to stop "talking."

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 4:28 am

I have Asperger. And a Master degree in Scientific programming (and a bechelor in theoretical physics). I'm now working in the italian science council into strategic/operative management (basically I made models and find solution for our problem, I don't get too much in touch with people :P )

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 4:31 am

Good that you guys have jobs.

You all inspired me.

theologus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2010, 5:21 am

Lectori salutem dico.

I have two degrees hitherto:

Degree of Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, Logics and Religious Studies.
Degree of Bachelor of Theology with a major in Theology, Systematic Theology/Studies in Faiths and Ideologies.

It has not been easy for me to earn my degrees.

I'm now a postgraduate student (for Master degree) and my main topic is metaphors in OT and NT, hebrew and greek texts and I mainly use Max Black's interaction theory of metaphor for my analysis.

Pax

nupkin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2010, 10:11 am

I have a law degree and a professional accountancy qualification, but this I believe has nothing to do with any condition I may have, but because I was encouraged and supported by my family, which in turn made me super-motivated. I'm actually not that bright in the scheme of things when I compare myself to some of my pals, but I sure work hard to get where I want to get to.

But everyone is different I suppose. Experts in AS say that as a rule Aspies have average or higher than average intellects but obviously this is not always the case, especially if for whatever reason people can't get their heads around things. I have a friend who once had an Aspie girlfriend and she had trouble getting through school and getting any job. So you can't generalise.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 11:31 am

After almost failing first grade for being catatonic (daydreaming) and non-responsive to my name (in general)...

BS in marine biology (<3 Richard Ellis since FOREVER!)
MS in evolution & development (of some marine fritters)

Then, thanks to all the odd comments on my TAing behaviors I earned through teaching during my MS... I had my eyes opened to AS and have since switched fields.

(in progress) PhD in molecular/developmental Neuroscience: I have just finished cloning 2 lines of transgenic mice and am currently testing/describing them-- which I hope will contribute to knowledge on cognition for many developmental disorders, including autism.

I've always been a hard worker and had strong interests & attention to detail, which is really important for the stamina needed to conduct research... But I don't look too employable on paper, so to speak. My SATs & GREs have considerably low math scores (for what's needed in science), but my verbal saved me in the end (NLVD????). My transcripts are also littered with some Cs... And I always did terrible, interviewing for gradschools cause I was always interested in the wrong aspects of research, apparently. Even though all that went poorly for me... I lucked out and got into gradschool through the back door, as a friend of mine got a job as a PI and needed help settin up their lab... It was actually cool cause his (my PI friend) nephew has AS so he kind of knew a bit about it and for the same reason, the research he does is centered around development and autism... PERFECT! So I got into gradschool for free (meaning I didn't have to interview), with the stipulation that I had to bring up my GRE mathscore within my first year. With a bit of studying, I was able to bring it up, literally to the BARE MINIMUM required math score... :lol:

And here I am... Done with classes and just doin what interests me... pipette in hand.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

I have a bachelor's in neuroscience that I received this May. I hope to be in grad school this fall, working for my Ph.D in neuroscience. Except for in math courses where I've always been inhibited by my visual-spatial deficits (I have NVLD, too), my AS has always helped me excel at school. I attribute my success thus far to be primarily from my obsessive interest in learning and my photographic memory.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

BetsyRath
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2010, 11:53 am

My aspie husband has a Bachelor's in English, and an MBA. Ended up working in programming his career, but still has a graduate education.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 12:57 pm

I'm a master of theology.

And I plan to get the Nobel prize this year. Maybe tomorrow. I might go to my local kiosk and see if I can buy one. 8) :lol: :lol: (Just kidding.)

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 1:02 pm

theologus wrote:
Lectori salutem dico.

I have two degrees hitherto:

Degree of Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, Logics and Religious Studies.
Degree of Bachelor of Theology with a major in Theology, Systematic Theology/Studies in Faiths and Ideologies.

It has not been easy for me to earn my degrees.

I'm now a postgraduate student (for Master degree) and my main topic is metaphors in OT and NT, hebrew and greek texts and I mainly use Max Black's interaction theory of metaphor for my analysis.

Pax

Hey, I didn't see your post... but cool with another aspie theologian here! :D
And welcome to WP. Hope you'll enjoy it.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2010, 1:04 pm

I am not DXed but according to online tests, constant problems with people and weirdness I do have AS. Degree-wise I have MS in el. eng. and PhD in applied physics. Although I was always able to find and maintain jobs (apart from bartending at one point, all my jobs are in scientific research) I have never earned very much.
Also my IQ is around 130 so nothing spectacular.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2010, 6:05 pm

Moderately well educated, got a Maths Degree 2i but only from University College London, didn't go to Cambridge like some of my family. Got a Masters Degree at Imperial but only went there in the first place because I couldn't get a job.

Never got a PhD.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 7:46 pm

Rocky wrote:
I have a B.A. I would have loved to go on beyond that. If only I could have been a professional student! :lol:

BTW I believe diamonddave here on WP has a PhD.

Yes, I have a PhD in geology. I graduated in 2008, with Robert Redford (who was awarded an honorary doctorate). My classmates named me Diamond Dave in 1999, due to my interest in mineral collecting.

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

I have a Master's Degree in secondary education and English, and I have an endorsement in gifted education.