calling all contented people with an ASD

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:03 pm

Most of the time yes. I am fine where I live but I would like a job. I would not take a cure or else I wouldn't be me anymore. I am lucky to have a wonderful guy who understands me 95% of the time. He keeps me grounded.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:19 pm

Once I saw my life through the lens of AS, everything made sense. Once I was able to accept this explanation, I was able to accept myself for the first time in 30 years. It was freeing.

Do I want a cure? No. I could do without the bad side of NT existence, especially the kind that involves mind games and unwritten rules. With me, what you see is what you get.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 12:36 pm

Sure.

I mean, I get to have fun with my interest, among other things.

Sure, I don't work, I don't know anyone in person (peers), don't drive, need a carer, and attending classes makes me want to pull my eyes out and deafen myself, but I haven't known any different.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2010, 1:13 pm

I am always happy to respond to questions like these. I am very happy with myself with my autism. Sure, my life is eccentric and quite different from those around me, but I love it that way. At 45 years of age, my life has been made fun and enjoyable because of my special intense interests. I have learned to accept my challenges (sensory issues, social awkwardness, etc.) as a part of my being and accept them willingly---because they are a part of the autism that has gifted me. I would definitely refuse a cure for autism---I love my autism. I have learned music because of my autism. I am an autistic savant in music (skills/talent savant). Before my official diagnosis as an adult, I used to wonder why I was the way I was. After the diagnosis, my life made sense. So self-acceptance comes naturally now---it is autism that makes me the way I am. I gladly accept it. I accept autism because the things in my life that I enjoy (besides family) are a result of autism. It has always been a part of me. If autism were not a part of me, then I would not be me---I would be some other personality/person---no longer the glider18 that is me.

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2010, 2:32 am

I definitely believe that the way I am is the best way to be for me. I consider my tendency to have strong interests to be one of my greatest strengths, and if I weren't autistic, I probably wouldn't have it.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:19 am

I would love to cure the problems I have with AS, the social interaction and Eye contact. But I enjoy the obsessions and the way that I don't need human comapanions to be happy.

So, a customized cure would be nice. Keep the good and get rid of the bad,

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 8:00 am

AUTented topic

ASPire to the best one can be. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2010, 1:25 pm

These replies are awesome, as are the people who posted them. I am going to print out this thread and keep it on my nightstand and read it when I get down on myself. I hope others will benefit from this thread as well.

Thanks so much!! ! :)

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2010, 3:36 pm

My life could be better, but for the most part I'm happy with what I've got. I don't consider being an Aspie a curse, I just accept it as a part of me, no more no less.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 4:40 pm

Someone recently said to me that a "positive approach" to life is worthless. I disagree wholeheartedly.
I work at a positive approach - spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically and I reap the benefits and the rewards.
Life gets REALLY hard sometimes - usually when i have too much to do with other people because it is exhausting and confusing to me - but other than that, life can be ok.

I am very encouraged when I read positive threads because they help me to challenge the deep-set negativity I have in me (which if left unchecked, turns into cynicism, bitterness and loathing of self and others.) I have a long history of negativity and depression as well as AS and I slumped a bit into it again recently, online with a couple of people. I don't like seeing this happen in myself and when i realise, i work to change the circumstances and the issues that are leading to the negative mindset.

But it is a new day and there is plenty to live for, be grateful for and there is plenty for me to enjoy. :)

Life for me is high-maintenance. But it is worth it.