Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 9:51 am

Well he likes simpler words I think that's the problem mainly LOL! Thanks though guys.

ryan7585
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2010, 10:22 am

tonmeister wrote:
Both of those statements parse easily into normal English. I suspect the problem may have had more to do with your delivery.

this.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 6:58 pm

you aren't calculating your statements you are just speaking your mind.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 7:02 pm

I think that I'm a very good talker, when I want to be.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 8:03 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Well he likes simpler words I think that's the problem mainly LOL! Thanks though guys.

But but but

Your words were simple.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 12:22 pm

pascalflower wrote:
Both of your comments were clear to me, but I'm bad at communicating so it could just be that we think alike!! !!

For the second comment: "I come cheap", while I clearly understood you, I can see something to nitpick at there,.

"cheap" is how someone would describe the price of something that they would buy. "Low Wage" is the cost that indicates a non-expensive cost to use. Your services as a worker is being used, not bought. So technically, the more correct statement would be: "I work for low wages"

"I come cheap", sounds like a tag on a discount doll in a store.

For a very long time I thought cheap meant cheap, inexpensive, not doing things because you can't afford it, saving money. I thought cheap and frugal were the same thing. If you buy what's onsale, you're cheap. If you shop in the clearance, you're cheap. If you stay at places where you can save money, you're cheap. If you use the mileage program or the vacation program to save money, you're cheap. Then one day I used that word about my aunt and uncle and everyone laughed. I thought I could share it with them in the thank you card for the wedding present they got my husband and I and instead she was hurt by it. My mom calls herself cheap because she is frugal. I had no idea she was using irony. It was a very hard lesson for me to learn. My husband felt bad because he felt he was responsible for it because he should have seen it coming he says.

I often say things that can me misunderstood by people or taken the wrong way. I found out I do troll talk so I can be easily mistaken as a troll here because I say things a troll would normally say. Things I say imply something I don't know about and I don't mean Y.

Another time I used the word dump instead of drop because I thought they both meant the same in that context. I told a mother at Yahoo Answers good thing she checked the day care out first before dumping her kids off there and I got a nasty surprise from her. She called me ignorant and accused me of not reading her whole question. I told her why look for a place to drop her kids off if she wasn't looking for a place to drop them off at? I never heard back from her. I come from a family where that word was used and I use it on myself. Who knows what other words they used that are irony. My dad told me over Christmas he will dump me off at my apartment. I didn't get offended by that word. My mom has told me before he often uses the wrong words but I don't know when he uses the wrong words. But at least I know when he is bullshitting. It took me a real long time to figure that one out.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:06 am

Yep......just one little word can sometimes do it. I've been astonished at how easy it is for some folks to take offense. Even worse once they get started - I've seen people who are angry with each other taking offense at the slightest ambiguity in each other's words, almost as if they want to be offended. Other folks you could hit with an iron bar and they'd see the funny side of it :?

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:06 pm

I tend to spew errors like a computer does,
I am kind of dense when it comes to things
like this. If someone uses a word that my
command interpreter isn't programmed for
I usually spit out "Undefined Parameter" errors.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 6:11 pm

In class, I know what to say, but I can't get it out myself. So yes, I know what you mean. So, what I try is to write it down.