Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:41 am

Okay, I love lectures. Esp. the interactive ones. But I recently realised my comprehension is shyt whenever the subject contains any sort of abstract noun. Like economics for example. Math, too. I really don't retain anything. Even if it's interesting. The teacher would have to talk really slow, too slow for the rest of the class...
But like, I retain sociology and biology information well. Because I can see the pictures as they speak. They are concrete, realistic subjects. The abstract stuff is hard to understand because you can't really translate it into a video.

Who else is like this? Is this an aspie thing? Or do many people struggle with this?

I'm really embarassed to admit I need them to slow down so much. I really think slowly at times.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 10:48 am

I had that same problem in school. Why didn't the lecturers just give me the information to read, instead?

sherry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2010, 1:05 pm

I had a similar problem. I think its to do with stronger visual and weaker auditory processing

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:18 pm

I am glad I do not have to endure lectures.
I get words of things, they are much easier to process.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:19 pm

I think you may be onto something there. It certainly rings true for me as an explanation why I had such problems in school with higher math. Simple arithmetic made sense - adding and subtracting could be seen as finite amounts of something tangible. But when they started putting alphabetic characters and mysterious unknown quantities into the mix, suddenly they were speaking (Pythagorean) Greek. I couldn't make sense of what I couldn't visualize. Points on a graph made sense, but the formulae that put them there were gibberish.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 1:49 pm

Willard wrote:
I think you may be onto something there. It certainly rings true for me as an explanation why I had such problems in school with higher math. Simple arithmetic made sense - adding and subtracting could be seen as finite amounts of something tangible. But when they started putting alphabetic characters and mysterious unknown quantities into the mix, suddenly they were speaking (Pythagorean) Greek. I couldn't make sense of what I couldn't visualize. Points on a graph made sense, but the formulae that put them there were gibberish.

Exactly. Imaginary numbers suck, too.
I seriously might come off as incredibly learning challenged in math. I'm glad my tutoring is private.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2010, 5:29 pm

Can somebody give me a site (can be a university site) where I can see what you guys learn in "Economics" etc.

I'm only 16 now but I would like to see if I can understand it.

Btw I'm pretty good with abstract conceps, I got more problems with short term memory and concentration.

Frosteh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2010, 5:56 pm

I had the same problem when I was in university, I never really learned anything from lectures.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 4:48 am

I don't think I'd be able to handle lecture classes very well. I have a hard time with note-taking unless the notes are right there on a screen. I can't just sit there and copy down certain points made by a professor who's talking in front of the class.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2010, 7:54 am

LoveMoney wrote:
Can somebody give me a site (can be a university site) where I can see what you guys learn in "Economics" etc.

Btw I'm pretty good with abstract conceps, I got more problems with short term memory and concentration.

http://mises.org/

This is a great site full of a lot of free material. At it you can access a good book to start with called "Human Action" by Ludwig von Mises. If you're interested in economics you have to understand that a lot of people get it wrong, and focus on "Keynesian economics". Economics is controversial, but I highly recommend Human Action.

http://mises.org/resources/3250 - you can view the entire PDF here!

Gary North also talks about economics, he has many articles on his web page and does a great job breaking his topics down.

http://www.garynorth.com/

As for the main topic of this post, I too tend to find lectures hard, but for a different reason perhaps. I have difficulty focusing on the lectures. I may however have difficulty in the area that you mention. I don't remember my school years much, so I can't use that to relate. I remember my college years and all the content that was being taught I was already mostly familiar with, so there was little trouble retaining what was talked about, if i was paying attention at all.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 8:21 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
LoveMoney wrote:

http://mises.org/

This is a great site full of a lot of free material. At it you can access a good book to start with called "Human Action" by Ludwig von Mises. If you're interested in economics you have to understand that a lot of people get it wrong, and focus on "Keynesian economics". Economics is controversial, but I highly recommend Human Action.

http://mises.org/resources/3250 - you can view the entire PDF here!

Gary North also talks about economics, he has many articles on his web page and does a great job breaking his topics down.

http://www.garynorth.com/

As for the main topic of this post, I too tend to find lectures hard, but for a different reason perhaps. I have difficulty focusing on the lectures. I may however have difficulty in the area that you mention. I don't remember my school years much, so I can't use that to relate. I remember my college years and all the content that was being taught I was already mostly familiar with, so there was little trouble retaining what was talked about, if i was paying attention at all.

You can like or not, but the content of "mises-org" has nothing to do with is learned in "Economics". at university.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2010, 8:34 am

TPE2 wrote:
You can like or not, but the content of "mises-org" has nothing to do with is learned in "Economics". at university.

Mises.org has educational content by people who have spent their entire lives studying economics. I'm not quite sure what you meant with that post, but if you're trying to say "They don't know squat about economics!" Well, then you are wrong.

If you read the post, you should see where I say economics is controversial. I'm not the least bit surprised to see a reply such as yours, assuming of course I understood what your post was meant to be!

It is irrelevant anyway, and not the place to even begin arguing about economics. As noted before, it is a controversial subject and nothing would be gained by arguing about it. Peter Schiff has proven that for us already.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:23 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Willard wrote:

Exactly. Imaginary numbers suck, too.
I seriously might come off as incredibly learning challenged in math. I'm glad my tutoring is private.

It wolud seem that it's generally the case for aspies, beside some who are really good at it.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:36 am

Fo-Rum wrote:
TPE2 wrote:

Mises.org has educational content by people who have spent their entire lives studying economics. I'm not quite sure what you meant with that post, but if you're trying to say "They don't know squat about economics!"

This is not what I am trying to say; I am only saying that, if LoveMoney wants to have an ideia about the content of an academic discipline of Economics (my impression is that LoveMoney are trying to choose a graduation area and he wants to know what he will find at university if he follows Economics), it is a bad idea to use the mises.org as reference, because the ideas mises.org are very different of the ideas that are taught at university (perhaps even more important, the methodology is different - in a economics course, he will find lots of differential calculus, equations, etc, things the he will not find at mises.org)

I am not saying that mises.org is wrong and the universities are right, nor the opposite, only saying that they are much different.

[Sorry of my bad English.]

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 11:52 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Okay, I love lectures. Esp. the interactive ones. But I recently realised my comprehension is shyt whenever the subject contains any sort of abstract noun. Like economics for example. Math, too. I really don't retain anything. Even if it's interesting. The teacher would have to talk really slow, too slow for the rest of the class...
But like, I retain sociology and biology information well. Because I can see the pictures as they speak. They are concrete, realistic subjects. The abstract stuff is hard to understand because you can't really translate it into a video.

Who else is like this? Is this an aspie thing? Or do many people struggle with this?

I'm really embarassed to admit I need them to slow down so much. I really think slowly at times.

Just a suggestion. Have you considered taking a tape recorder into the lecture halls? Then you can listen to them again afterwards.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:42 pm

Jono wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

Just a suggestion. Have you considered taking a tape recorder into the lecture halls? Then you can listen to them again afterwards.

I could. (I'm in highschool btw, so I don't go to lcture halls). Our teacher jokes around a lot though, so there'd be lots of interruptions. XD