Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do You Consider Yourself to be a Caring Person?
Yes, moreso than most NTs. 49%  49%  [ 34 ]
Yes, about the same as most people. 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
Not usually, but i care about those close to me 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I don't care about other people, i only care about what directly affects me. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 69

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm

Despite the fact that i supposedly lack empathy, people who know me very well(family members, that is) have often commented that they think i'm an extremely nice and caring person. This seems strange, but i do care about others and like to help them when i can, even though i don't understand them most of the time. I'm sure, though, that this lack of understand means that i don't always seem as nice to people who don't know me well. I'm also maybe not always caring about the same things as other people, and can't always show it when i'm supposed to. I was wondering how many others here feel that even though they can't empathize in normal ways that they still care a lot about others, maybe even moreso than most NTs? Do people who know you well enough to see past your social deficits notice it? It even seems that a lot of the time autistic-spectrum people are portrayed as being very fair and moral, but then a lot of things also say that we don't care about anything unless it directly affects us. Confusing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:04 pm

Yes I am a caring person. I like to be nice to people and try and understand them and I'm friendly. I don't want to hurt anybody.

I don't know what others think of me. I have gotten from here I am likable, nice, sweet, honest, and innocent.

My enemies, I won't go there.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm

I care about the people close to me, but can't really show it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:46 pm

Yes, I'm a very caring person, more so than the general population, and I wouldn't do anything to hurt anybody, intentionally.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:52 pm

Yes, extremely much, but I can't seem to do what it takes so that other ppl know it. Probably the source of the most misery in my life.

~Kate

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2010, 12:14 am

There's a difference between sympathy and empathy. In short, sympathy is feeling for other people. Empathey is being able to puit yourself in others shoes and know what they're going through.

Perhaps with some of us it's not that we can't feel anything for others, but simply that we can't imagine what it is specifically that they go through.

I'm a very caring person, much less apathetic than most of the people I know.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 12:34 am

I care for people especially ones that I like. I tend to be a nice guy, friendly, and open minded about things. Im learning to accept and grow from things and it's a working progress. Last year when I was depressed I was not a good person to be around. When im like that I don't care about anybody I say alot of negative things.

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2010, 12:36 am

Few people truly know me. But those that do know me even a little say that I'm far too caring to be real, either that or I am and it will get me hurt. They are wrong about the first part, but very correct about the second. Alas, it is who I am though. Sometimes I do envy that shield of unconcern though. :)

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 12:52 am

Peko wrote:
I care about the people close to me, but can't really show it.

I also care about a few people who are close to me and have trouble showing it sometimes. I think most people either find me unsettling or don't think I'm nice, but that's OK. Sometimes I just don't feel like being nice, and sometimes being nice is interpreted as obsequiousness. Maybe you just can't win, so why try?

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

EL60
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2010, 4:06 am

yes i am 100% caring person always :D

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:23 am

This is difficult because I'm absolutely bewildered by the emotions of others.

I know I get upset and anxious when people I love are in pain or having difficulties. I wish that they were not having troubles, because I want them to be happy and at peace. But I still have no idea what they're thinking, how it feels to them, or how I should respond.

And I admit that largely I also wish their problems would go away so that I could stop feeling upset and anxious for them.

Does that make me a caring person? Or just selfish?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:29 am

druidsbird wrote:
This is difficult because I'm absolutely bewildered by the emotions of others.

I know I get upset and anxious when people I love are in pain or having difficulties. I wish that they were not having troubles, because I want them to be happy and at peace. But I still have no idea what they're thinking, how it feels to them, or how I should respond.

And I admit that largely I also wish their problems would go away so that I could stop feeling upset and anxious for them.

Does that make me a caring person? Or just selfish?

No, that is just mind blindness because you don't know what they are thinking or how it feels for them. It doesn't make you uncaring or selfish just because you don't know what you are supposed to do. Sounds like you do care about them because you don't want them to feel that way.

Keifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2010, 4:39 am

I'm a very caring person. I try my very best to be nice, and to make sure I don't upset anyone. It makes me sad to make other people sad. Sadly I'm socially clueless, and sometimes I accidentaly insult people.

It's embarrising to even admit it when I notice my insensitivities, so I try to play them off. I guess people around me interpret this as me being mean. Yet, my very close friends and family describe me to other people as very caring and good.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:09 am

i think i apear cold and uncaring but it isnt true for the the part i care as slightly more than most people, but people who i am close too i care far beyond what is normal

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:30 am

I care about very few people, but I care about them a lot. By extension, I wish those people that they care about well.
The rest of the world could disappear and I'd barely notice.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 7:49 am

I know not to hurt people in any way.