Page 8 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2019, 9:33 am

I can instantly spot spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors in things which have been checked by dozens of other people. Sometimes over the course of years.

Half the time it's in commercially produced items. Everything from printed in-store signs to newspapers to books from major publishers. Large chunks of the stuff that university professors write as teaching material, too. Not to mention textbooks. Gah.

As you might imagine, this makes reading nearly anything like skateboarding down a road of potholes. I never know when the landscape is suddenly going to smack me in the face.

If only proofreading was a standalone job. Unfortunately, it's usually a single skill in other jobs (like copyediting or content writing) which I don't particularly want to be involved in.

(I've half-wondered if I should set up an internet service where people could upload documents or text for checking. $30 per thousand words, or thereabouts.)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:19 am

Kind of photographic memory.
Reading maps, text, music scores with "my minds eye" - long after having studied them. A good tool in a discussion.
At age 3-4, I "saw" a graphic score , when I heard say Mozart in my head... and like some others, i could say exactly where small objects were placed - and (to my moms amusement) how to get to them through the house - step by step.

I´m a DIY person and can see parts come together and correct them in my head before drawing the project. It´s logic. Saves me a lot of mistakes.
Highly synesthetic: Hearing tones and music, when I paint - and seeing colors, when listening to, or playing music.
So, I´m both very auditive and very visual. It is a good combination in artistic work.

All in all, I´m quite satisfied with my "superpowers".

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 10:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
I think that I struggle with math, but I seem to be pretty good at estimates in my head, and I can derive engineering from high school physics. One example involved the Air [powered] Car which had about a ten year run as a successful stock fraud. I knew at a glance that the numbers in their brochure were impossible, and told an author who had praised it. He replied that so many other people couldn't be wrong, but almost all of them had gone to the same science class and then farther in school than I. All it took was one person willing to wait for its tank to run out, which actually took minutes, not hours. I wish I'd been there, taking bets. I am also very quick to detect similar tricks, like perpetual motion machines.

Reminds me of that news story that swept the nation like five years ago. About that yuppie couple in California who launched a search party for their little boy...who they said had been carried away into the sky by a big decorated party balloon.

They showed a photo (taken indoors) of the kid with the balloon, and it was huge for a party balloon, and about five times the size of the kid. But (since I had gone through an aspie special interest phase of being into Zeppilins decades earlier) I could see at a glance that the whole story was a hoax. I could see that there was no way that that balloon could lift that kid because a fifty pound kid would need almost a thousand cubic feet of helium to get off of the ground (the balloon would have to be over ten feet tall and wide), and would hafta dwarf the kid, and wouldn't even fit inside the house.

Days latter they found the kid alive and well in basement of the house. :lol:

That sounds much like the Colorado balloon hoax that happened on October 15, 2009. The balloon in that case was shaped like a silver UFO. It happened over in Boulder, many California transplants live there. The parents were charged for the expenses that were wasted on the search and had to do community service. I thought at the time that a kid could not survive inside the balloon, as there was only helium gas in there and he was not spotted outside of the balloon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 10:56 am

Jensen: We can sure use you around my house! :)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 11:00 am

One of my superpowers is being able to mentally visualize at an extreme degree. It aids me in molecular engineering and quantum physics research projects. But, it can also be a curse at times.

ManWithoutaTribe
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2019, 12:08 pm

When I'm on task and fixated, I can do the work of two or three people. Probably because I'm not taking time to consult, chit chat, etc., and I have an innate sense of order.

I have an uncanny sense of time. I can wake up in the middle of the night, for instance, and know what time it is before I even look at a clock.

I can spot logical inconsistencies immediately. Probably one reason why I'm not a good conversationalist, and quickly exit a conversation when someone starts spewing opinions, because I know that I'm going to offend them if I start making observations regarding their logic. This made me an excellent philosophy student, however, not that that vocation ultimately helped me very much.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm

:D :D :D Its juuuuust a ticket to N.Y. Haha!

kraftiekortie wrote:
Jensen: We can sure use you around my house! :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:23 pm

I believe you could actually get relatively inexpensive flights from Copenhagen to NYC through Norwegian Airlines.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:30 pm

To be honest - my economy is in shreds, more or less - so a flight to N.Y. is a future dream....but it is a nice thought. :)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 1:21 pm

Yeah, very cheap - but not cheap enough for me - sadly. Not now, at least..... perhaps some time in the new year.....
Then, there´s lodging and all.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 5:49 pm

Just looking at someone I can almost always tell whether someone is a good or bad person.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 8:48 am

I can read minds and levitate.

Two superpowers.

I’m also really observant and pick up on little details that most people miss (probably because they’re too busy socializing). That’s not really a superpower, but it’s a personal strength of mine that’s come in handy here and there.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 11:14 am

Forgetting where I left my wallet. . . and keys. . . . and phone . . . and my head

Vitale Truthseeker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2019, 2:36 pm

I astonish my mom with my long term memory and to remember events in vivid detail. Also It may or may not have been real, but I believe I remember looking up at the doctors as I was born.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 5:24 pm

aquafelix wrote:
Forgetting where I left my wallet. . . and keys. . . . and phone . . . and my head

I know that one! 8O

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 5:49 pm

I'm able to walk about without freaking out about the fact that everyone is in my way.

I can out stare everyone on death row.

I can resurect an argument without even trying.