Would you consider attending an aspie gathering?

Page 4 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 7:46 pm

Yes, I would. I'd stay for maybe an hour or two - longer if there were food :). It would have to be in my town or within about an hour from me. If it were big, like a convention, I'd like quiet places available to go where people could deal with over-stimulation.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 4:31 pm

If there will be an aspie gathering, would you consider attending it?
Yes, provided that it had participation-type events, and not just speeches and lectures. A mix of the two types is fine.

If so, how close to where you live would it have to be in order for you to consider attending it?
Between 45 minutes and 3 hours away. I want it to be outside the areas I usually go to (so I don't run into anyone I know), but not so far that travel is a hassle. I can drive, but if it's accessible by Amtrak, all the better.

How long would you like the aspie gathering to last? (a day? two days? more than that?)
If it's less than 90 minutes away, then a one-day even is OK. If it's farther than that, I'd want it to be a weekend thing; otherwise it's not really worth the drive.

What sort of activities would you like to have during the gathering? (presentations? games? discussions? beer drinking?)
Semi-formal discussions in break-out groups, instructor-led organized sports games, social skills training facilitated by full-immersion virtual reality machines, presentations and lessons about surviving as an aspie in the modern society, and a cocktail party with trivia challenge games. There would be breaks between activities, plus a catered lunch.

How many participants would you like the gathering to have? (around a dozen? around a hundred? more than that?)
The whole gathering should have 80 to 100 people, to give it the participants that "power in numbers" feeling. But the break-out discussion groups should be limited to 15 people, so each participant gets a chance to speak.

Do you have any additional requirements that need to be met in order for you to consider attending the gathering?
The schedule I wrote would motivate me just fine. I'd stay away if the presentations were too cliche or too patronizing.

Do you have any additional things that you would like to say about the aspie gathering?
My suggested schedule is oriented mostly toward people with mild forms of AS, like myself. It may not work for people with more severe forms of AS or autism. Or it just might, with some accommodations.

Do you have any questions about the aspie gathering?
No.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:21 pm

Sure
If so, how close to where you live would it have to be in order for you to consider attending it?
I probably wouldn't drive more than two hours to get there, unless it was in a city where my family could do other vacation-y type stuff
How long would you like the aspie gathering to last? (a day? two days? more than that?)
Just for the day
What sort of activities would you like to have during the gathering? (presentations? games? discussions? beer drinking?)
Presentations might be neat, but I would like talking to other people too. It would be good if there was some sort of thing/activity that got people talking to each other.
How many participants would you like the gathering to have? (around a dozen? around a hundred? more than that?)
More than a dozen. Enough that there was a variety of ages and genders among each age. For example, I'm 19 and I would like to meet other college students or other people my age.
Do you have any additional requirements that need to be met in order for you to consider attending the gathering?
I would just need it to be close enough because I am not always able to drive, and I would most likely miss it if school interfered.
Do you have any additional things that you would like to say about the aspie gathering?
I think it should be NT friendly as well. If it was a large enough group, I don't think it would be uncomfortable. If there were presentations that could be good for NTs with no knowledge of ASDs.
Nope!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:19 am

millie wrote:
Yes. she is a friend, and we work with the ASA in our region to help people on the spectrum. She's an amazing person with a lot of wisdom.
Garry Burge also runs the University of Qld Asperger's Group on Facebook and does a lot in the region.

and here is another interview with an Asperger's woman in our region done a while before.
Click here for Link to Interview with Asperger's woman C.Connolly

For anyone in the brisbane area:

The one Garry organizes is a good one to go to for people who are after a smaller group, we normally have between 6 to 12 people there, not too stressful. It's been going a year or so now, I think Garry and I are the only founding members left though (apart from the uni staff), as people come and go, it remains pretty small (although the last few weeks it has swelled somewhat). It's at the University of Queensland on Tuesdays, 2pm-3pm and onwards till people feel like leaving. The facebook group is called Brisbane Asperger Syndrome Adults.

The womens one is great too, it is pretty large (like millie says) which can be a little stressful due to the number of people and noise, but as millie says I also found it was a very safe non-judgmental environment.

Those are the ones I go to. The uni one is nice on a weekly basis because it's sort of become like a general discussion around the table, where everybody talks about their areas of expertise and learns interesting information, plus people debate philosophical issues - I look forward to it every week; no small talk, straight into the interesting stuff. Plus it goes for an hour or so, short and sweet.

I'm looking forward to the next women's one too! :)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 2:34 pm

The Square Peg Social Club

Our April meeting is this coming Saturday at 7:00 PM in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Anyone looking to meet other Aspies in the Northwest, we're the largest, most laid back group, and we're totally free. Details are on the webpage, just sign up for a free membership.

[img][650:800]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dox47/Autism%20Picnic/Seattle%20Neotypicals/Square%20Pegs/CIMG0385.jpg[/img]
Chilling on our huge deck with views of Downtown Seattle and the Space Needle

[[img][650:800]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dox47/Autism%20Picnic/Seattle%20Neotypicals/Square%20Pegs/CIMG0417.jpg[/img]
A meeting starts to wind down with drinks and conversation

[img][650:759]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dox47/Autism%20Picnic/CIMG0373.jpg[/img]
Square Pegs mingle with others at last year's Aspergers Picnic event.

AussieAspie36
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2010, 12:42 am

Millie, Garry Burge does not run the UQ Asperger Group. This is run by Disability Services at UQ. You need to contact them for more information.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:58 am

AussieAspie36 wrote:
Millie, Garry Burge does not run the UQ Asperger Group. This is run by Disability Services at UQ. You need to contact them for more information.

Quite right. Thanks for the correction. :)

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 10:39 am

Peko wrote:
Local (southeaster PA the United States) would be best but I could probably manage in state if my driver wanted to attend as well.
Autreat 2010 will be in PA, so you can probably attend it if you want to! :)

Autreat's website is here: http://www.autreat.com/

http://www.autscape.org/

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 2:49 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Only if I was allowed to bring my pet bearded dragon. I need to be holding her if there are going to be lots of people around or else I have severe panic attacks. She is an unoffical "service lizard". I wish I could have her registered officaly. I would only attend an AS event if I was allowed to bring her; otherwise forget it.
Of course you would be allowed to bring her. What sort of an aspie gathering would it be if people aren't allowed to bring their service animals?

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 6:02 pm

Do you know the nearest place in London and when the aspie gathering starts?

FlyingAeroplane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2010, 6:11 pm

KenG wrote:

Possibly...
Quote:

Depends on how good the event was, maybe a city or two away.
Quote:

The day maybe.
Quote:

Alcohol. But of course it needs something else to attract a wider audience, maybe a discussion forum or something on those lines. Perhaps a wider goal.
Quote:

More the merrier...
Quote:

Nope...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 6:13 pm

dobtfully

PulaskiTheLastGuy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2010, 8:00 pm

I did, and I couldn't stand it. The man running it was a really nice guy though.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 12:11 am

I went to one an hours drive away. It ended up a wild goose chase and the address lead me to a field. weird huh?

I drove for another hour looking for the meeting.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 12:33 pm

superboyian wrote:
Do you know the nearest place in London and when the aspie gathering starts?
Yes. Aspie gatherings in London are held at the Blue Anchor Pub (near Hammersmith Bridge), on the first Tuesday of every month:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt109104.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 12:35 pm

I would, and I'm sure that I'd have a good time, as well.