Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 12:04 am

Aimless wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
every now and then, as i am either just waking up or just falling asleep, i get "attacked" by this fuzzy dark amorphous mass, it doesn't really hurt me other than making me feel victimized- i can do nothing but surrender to it.

That has happened to me and to 2 other people I know.

there must be a name for this phenomenon, i wonder what it is.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 5:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
Aimless wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
every now and then, as i am either just waking up or just falling asleep, i get "attacked" by this fuzzy dark amorphous mass, it doesn't really hurt me other than making me feel victimized- i can do nothing but surrender to it.

That has happened to me and to 2 other people I know.

there must be a name for this phenomenon, i wonder what it is.

I was watching the PBS series Genesis hosted by Bill Moyers. The panel was made up of authors and in the course of the discussion (I don't remember what) one of the authors, E.L. Doctorow, mentioned pretty much the same thing. He spoke of seeing a dark shape rush by but not of being attacked. I felt a suffocating weight when I woke up that one time. I have also experienced the rushing by thing. Its dark and fast and low to the ground. I was in an AA meeting once and someone mentioned it as a common thing chronic alcoholics see.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 5:41 am

I wonder if Fuseli's The Nightmare depicts this.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 5:49 am

Moog wrote:
I wonder if Fuseli's The Nightmare depicts this.

I've wondered the same thing, maybe this is the origin of the incubus and the succubus:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 6:56 am

I was going to post a picture, but I didn't want to scare anyone. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 3:40 pm

Moog wrote:

Please, do! You've peeked my interest!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 3:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Moog wrote:

I posted the painting Moog was talking about.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 4:11 pm

Aimless wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Moog wrote:

Oh, okay. I thought Moog was referring to something different.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 4:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Moog wrote:

Oh, okay. I thought Moog was referring to something different.

I was also thinking of this, but it doesn't chill quite like Fuseli's
Spirit of the Dead Watching by Gauguin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 4:56 am

Aimless wrote:

Spirit of the Dead Watching by Gauguin

i'd be happy if the dark mass like that depicted reclining in the photo above, would haunt me :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 4:57 am

Aimless wrote:
I was in an AA meeting once and someone mentioned it as a common thing chronic alcoholics see.

well, i have alcoholic genes running through me, and the only thing keeping me outta the sauce is a general physical aversion to alcohol.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 5:08 am

anxiety25 wrote:
I get this too-not the same type of stuff, but still similar to some extent. My most common one seems to be me jumping rope... tripping and falling into a pit. It always jolts me and I have to get up for a little bit. It's obnoxious because I rarely actually get to sleep at the time I would like to.

When I try to lay back down, anxiety sets in really strong and every noise I hear after that freaks me out for some reason.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well! In most cases for me, I feel like I trip and plummet down a pit or just a very far distance. I'm not "fully asleep" yet, but getting there.

As for the disturbing images, oh I've experienced them; in fact most of my dreams are in fact nightmares.

I've had nightmares featuring images that would make Freddy Krueger piss in his pants. However, most of those were actually nightmares once I was asleep; not in the transition; that was just falling great distances and things like that.

Now, there was one thing I once experienced that was so incredibly screwy, it forever changed how I slept: I once had a weird experience in trying to sleep where...it was like this feeling of vertigo; it was like everything around me kept "zooming in and zooming out"; very nauseating experience; I kept going to the bathroom that night, stumbling a few times because of it, and tried explaining it to my Dad( I think, anyway); from that point on, I've always slept with a fan on. For some strange reason, the sound of the fan just has this calming, consistent factor to it that keeps me a bit more relaxed than if I just try to sleep on my own, and seems to cancel out most of those "vertigo" type situations.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2010, 6:56 am

I find this thread incredibly interesting.

I've had hallucinations and visions as far back as I can remember, sometimes they've been clairvoyent. But, those are waking visions, and not related to sleeping at all.

I have experienced hypnogogic visions behind my eyes as I'm falling asleep or in a slumberess state, as a number of people have said, but they are not generally like the ones shown or described. They are abstract.

As close as I can come to finding images that look like the ones that I get are these:

sometimes i see strobes like these:

[img]http://i926.photobuckhttp://i926.photobucket.com/al ... n_pi/Wrong%[/img]

Or, I'll see abstract swirls like these:

[img]http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad101/punkin_pi/Wrong%20Planet/longexposurefiberoptic.jpg[/iimg]

Or, i'll see fiber optic type images like these:

Those types of visions behind my eyes are regular and normal for me and I find them kind of cool, unlesss I'm really suffering from insomnia and overstimulation and I'd rather they just stop and have total darkness.

Conversely, I've also had some disturbing hallucinations in which I see bugs crawling all over the walls when I'm trying to go to sleep. That usually happens when I'm quite stressed or disturbed about something. Those are not behind my eyes, they appear completely real to me to the point I have to turn on the light and get out of bed. Usually I'm so creeped out I can't get back to sleep. Every time I turn out the light, the bugs re-appear.

Other than that the most weird thing I find from talking to other people is that I have an extremely over active visualization of everything I hear. I processs almost everything visually. This can be quite disconcerting and sometimes puts people off when I get weird looks on my face or interpret everything visually.

It has great benefits though in that I have an incredible visual memory.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 10:12 am

Willard wrote:
Apparently not everyone experiences this phenomenon, at least to such a vivid degree, but I can't remember a time when I didn't. I agree with Aimless that most of what you're experiencing falls under the category of Hypnogogic hallucinations, but more than that, I believe it's all tied in with the same right-brain visualizations that drive our dreams and most visual-based creative pursuits, as well as being directly related to 'thinking in pictures'.

I'm always shocked to hear people say they don't dream, or that they don't see their dreams in color. My dreams are such rich, far-flung panoramic epics, nothing James Cameron could come up with will ever impress me much. And without that ability to 'see' three-dimensional objects and characters, I wouldn't be able to write a fictional scene to save my life. In fact, I'm roadblocked in a novel-in-progress lately because of one stinking scene, in which I already know exactly what's going to happen - but I can't quite see it yet - or hear all the dialogue. It's as though I'm sort of psychically looking into a parallel dimension where these things have already happened, and I'm just transcribing them, but sometimes they freeze - the image hangs up, like it's buffering and buffering, and buffering...so I wait. But it's all pictures in my head. And voices. 8O

Bolded for Truth topic

BFT :) Amazing what that right hemisphere can do!!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo