Autism Awareness, what is not liked about it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

sc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 11:09 pm

There are some groups online that simply hate or greatly dislike how autism is portrayed. I have differing theories for differing circumstances concerning.

Yet I was wondering if there are any on this forum whom disagree with how autism is portrayed. You can provide generalized examples or a hyperlink with comments.

I would like to understand this as I am considering with a few others a unique autism awareness project.

The primary issues are or might be:

1. Independent living
2. general welfare and sustainability
3. opportunity and self-sufficiency for those that are disabled

The difference is this project for awareness will be by those with higher functioning forms of autism such as H.F.A and A.S.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 11:20 pm

Primarily I think the awareness and advocacies for those interested will be political.

The desire is to, construct a mailing list and have persons vote on issues to be e-mailed out to subscribers to write in about. Such as proper funding for social service programs and other things.

I am working with someone now to develop meditation music as well as flute music to target a certain audience, they are sort of helping me figure it out and have recieved nature sounds. The music will be free and can be copied.

Other then that the other techniques I cannot as of yet define to keep it a secret. I am both confident in a moderate potential yet am not confounded by the ultimate potential manifesting in reality, it is just ideas and to try.

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2006, 11:24 am

I work in a state office, where we recognize every official "month" that comes along. April, along with being Autism Awareness, is also Child Abuse Awareness month (interesting).

I went to my bosses to see about putting up just a little flyer about a local walk to raise money for therapies, etc., we are having in the area, with a little blurb about ASD's.

Can't do it. Apparently, the thought of people with autism/asd's is too "icky" or sad. Nevermind the abused kids, we are to wear hanging banners on our shirts about them. Now I'm all for stopping the abuse of children, don't get me wrong. I just don't get how kids with asd's are somehow less loveable than those who are abused. And these people KNOW I have a kiddo with an ASD!

I think most people want it to go away, don't put it in their face, because it can't be cured, many don't *want* to be cured, and it sure doesn't have that victim angle.

I'm thinking of writing to state office to complain.