Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 3:17 am

'NTz are more interested in WHO you are than WHAT you are' :idea:

I heard this recently from an NT friend (who still doesn't really believe that I'm 'Autistic')

I know many/most of us (me included) really don't care about what NTz find interesting (or boring Very Happy ) about us at a 'social' level, but this statement has had a profound impact on my understanding of relationships at a business/commercial level.

I seem to be able to 'fit in' FAR better at a business/commercial level for two main reasons (in no particular order)

1. Business is WORK and so it is easier to make the effort necessary TO fit in knowing that I AM working (in my own business)
2. It has a direct impact on my cash flow

I have already begun implementing this into my business and the impact has been both positive and immediate. 8O

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 19 Apr 2010, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 5:20 am

But ... WHO am I apart from WHAT I am???

a.k.a. can you give examples to help those who need something a little more concrete?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 6:56 am

one-A-N wrote:
But ... WHO am I apart from WHAT I am???

a.k.a. can you give examples to help those who need something a little more concrete?

Ok; here is WHAT I am.....

Science graduate, CPA, Business man, entrepreneur, member of Mensa (puke) and a jock..............(quantitative stuff)

All of this can be and has been reduced to A4 sized decorated embossed paper.

I have always thought that this is WHO I am, but it is clear to me that this is only WHAT I am.

Who I am is the qualitative stuff

and.............YES..............even though many/most of us live almost entirely in our heads there is a qualitative component to our personalities.

I don't expect this makes very much more sense to you than my first post and I considered just aborting this response, but if one other person gets this, then it will be worth it.
:arrow:

Owl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2010, 6:58 am

One of my NT friends said that Aperger's Syndrome was my 'Get out of Jail Card' and it was just an invented condition.
I can't change my brain and yes there are things I do which are directly linked to my ASD. But I know good from bad, and remember my manners, consider people etc.
What are the excuses of 95% of NT's being generally illogical as*holes

Yes it touched a nerve when my friend said that to me!

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 11:48 pm

Owl wrote:
What are the excuses of 95% of NT's being generally illogical as*holes

More to the point, what are the excuses of NTz who are social as*holes :?:

Most of the as*holes I have met are card carrying NTz :!: :D

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 12:23 am

The "what" of a man or a woman does at times have its significance, but yes, the "who" is what *really* matters to all but those who are essentially non-human.

My "what" can be observed in my industrial fabrications, but my "who" is recognized on my keepsake hardhat ...

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 4:01 am

leejosepho wrote:
The "what" of a man or a woman does at times have its significance, but yes, the "who" is what *really* matters to all but those who are essentially non-human.

My "what" can be observed in my industrial fabrications, but my "who" is recognized on my keepsake hardhat ...

Thank you Lee.

I think that was one of the loveliest and warmest posts that I have read on WP.

Looks like there is a lot of good WHO in you (poetry unintended :!: )